Student brought me an iced mocha...

Options

Replies

• leopardjunkie
    Options
    I would drink it, probably limit myself to half. I am not a teacher but things come up in my daily life that are unexpected like lunch with a friend a neighbor who stops by with a treat taking the kids out for a celabratory snacks. I either suck it up and eat reasonably, work a little harder that day and eat lighter the next depending on how bad I was :) LOL somtimes a girl just needs to have a pan pizza with extra cheese and worry about it later :)

I guess I want to be healthy while still enjoying life, just making wiser steps along the way.

So i am a little confused, on why you would not want to tell your students you are trying to be healthier? Not that you have to or are expected to, but is there shame in dieting and trying to be healthy. I would think unless you are struggling with anorexia or bulimia, I would be happy with my kids knowing that someone who is lets face it is an important part of their life is making healthy choices. With all the overweight kids out there today, Kids can probably use a few solid roles models that are demonstrating good healthy decisions.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on how to accept this gift without adding it to my food log? I'm not ready to come out of the dieting closet and I don't want to offend. I really appreciate the gesture. I love my job, but food surprises are a part of my problem. If there is a cookie laying out, I'm eating it.

Johnny/Joanie: How thoughtful of you! I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I'm watching my sugar intake, and this is not the right kind of food for me right now, even though it's delicious. Should we put it in the fridge and save it for your Mom or your Dad?

That's, like, so awful it's breathtaking. If you are incapable of receiving a kindness from a young person without breaking it, then there's something broken about you.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on how to accept this gift without adding it to my food log? I'm not ready to come out of the dieting closet and I don't want to offend. I really appreciate the gesture. I love my job, but food surprises are a part of my problem. If there is a cookie laying out, I'm eating it.

Johnny/Joanie: How thoughtful of you! I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I'm watching my sugar intake, and this is not the right kind of food for me right now, even though it's delicious. Should we put it in the fridge and save it for your Mom or your Dad?
    I spent years teaching in a classroom. Elementary school kids. If I said that to the kids, it'd probably wind up with having to console the kid. Especially if I called them Johnny when that clearly isn't their name.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

That's, like, so awful it's breathtaking. If you are incapable of receiving a kindness from a young person without breaking it, then there's something broken about you.

How is that awful? The person who was kind enough to get it for her doesn't know whether or not she is diabetic and the sugar could spike her insulin.

OP: If you're that worried about it accept it then toss it in the trash later on.
  • OkieSunshine207
    Options
    I think Quiet Smile hit the nail on the head! If you can want it and can fit it in your calorie limit for the day, the enjoy it. If you can't be gracious, thank them for the gift and find someone who can enjoy it and pass it on. If you turn down their gift you are robbing them of their joy of sharing.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Thank the kid, drink it, enjoy it, log it, and move on. Go for a quick jog after work if you're worried about the calories or sugar. One iced mocha is not going to ruin your day. (I'm assuming you're not diabetic, of course.)
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen with a business acquaintance last night. He brought a VENTI Caramel Frappucino to me at a meeting we were in. I placed it so he couldn't see if I was drinking it or not. Took some fake sips until he left the meeting and then I took it home to my husband and son who shared it.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options

I agree! As an adult if I were Joanie I'd be pretty sad. As a kid Joanie I'd probably cry.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

How is that awful? The person who was kind enough to get it for her doesn't know whether or not she is diabetic and the sugar could spike her insulin.

OP: If you're that worried about it accept it then toss it in the trash later on.
    She isn't a diabetic so I'd rather not tangle over the hypothetical. And the person in question is a kid. It's common sense to me that you don't treat a student who gives a gift in this coarse way.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I hope you accepted it, drank it and enjoyed it -- at least a portion of it.
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I don't think that teachers are appreciated enough, especially ones who teach high school. I was finishing a test after class one day when I was in HS and the teacher I had started crying to another teacher because the kids in my class were so mean to her and would throw stuff at her. She was also a new teacher at the time so I don't think she had the experience to deal with that. They were a real rowdy bunch of kids. I got up to hand her my test and gave her a hug lol.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

14-flo-stfu-o.gif
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options

She isn't a diabetic so I'd rather not tangle over the hypothetical. And the person in question is a kid. It's common sense to me that you don't treat a student who gives a gift in this coarse way.

Agreed. She turns the drink down but has no problem grabbing a cookie she sees laying out. I also doubt she's diabetic.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    FFS don't spill it into the garbage. I get so disturbed at those who suggested wasting food this way on here, even as a joke.

Be gracious, accept the gift as it is offered and only drink it if you can fit it into your plan.

Maybe "wasting" food is your primary concern - but for me, it's WAY more important to stay on plan and lose my weight. I don't clean my plate. And I don't eat extra food because it is "free".

Even free things have costs and putting extra, unnecessary food into a person trying to lose weight is "waste" too.

Unless the OP really wants the coffee - then drink it and exercise it off.

I agree. It's not good to waste food, but that food can't be Fed Ex-ed to starving children in the Third World. You have to start with yourself and if caring for yourself means eating reasonably and avoiding sugary, empty-calorie treats that will cause you to gain weight, that's where you start.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    FFS don't spill it into the garbage. I get so disturbed at those who suggested wasting food this way on here, even as a joke.

Be gracious, accept the gift as it is offered and only drink it if you can fit it into your plan.

Maybe "wasting" food is your primary concern - but for me, it's WAY more important to stay on plan and lose my weight. I don't clean my plate. And I don't eat extra food because it is "free".

Even free things have costs and putting extra, unnecessary food into a person trying to lose weight is "waste" too.

Unless the OP really wants the coffee - then drink it and exercise it off.

I agree. It's not good to waste food, but that food can't be Fed Ex-ed to starving children in the Third World. You have to start with yourself and if caring for yourself means eating reasonably and avoiding sugary, empty-calorie treats that will cause you to gain weight, that's where you start.

So, you are pretty much saying what I did. Changing current habits?
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I wish the OP would return to address some of the posts/comments....

OP's profile says she is a teacher/tutor. I think it makes a difference if this is happening in a classroom setting or in her or the student's home and how old the kids are. I would approach this differently with a 7-year-old than a teenager.
    Don't lie, don't waste food, don't stomp on a child's kindness, don't eat/drink something you don't want, and always say THANK YOU. Simple, right? I'd personally be thrilled if someone gifted me with iced coffee!
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    As a teacher myself, if you have a student that thinks enough of you to bring you a mocha, dont DARE hurt their feelings!! thank them graciously and maybe laughingly ask, 'is this "low cal"? I'm trying to get my school girl figure back! ha!'
    That should drop the "hint". then just sip the mocha in front of the student, and pour the rest out when they are gone.

It's wonderful to have students care so much about you!!! I think they would probably try to help if they knew you were trying to lose weight. In fact, I'll bet you would receive some really good Healthy treats if they knew. Heck, tell them you NEED their help! Then you would probably get more help than you wanted!! ha!! :laugh:
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    ............................................________
    ....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
    .............................,.-"..................................."-.,
    .........................,/...............................................":,
    .....................,?......................................................,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:"........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
    ...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
    ...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
    ............/.`~,......`-...................................../
    .............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,__......`,.................................
    ...................`=~-,,.,...............................
    ................................`:,,...........................`..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_..........._,-%.......`
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options

I agree! As an adult if I were Joanie I'd be pretty sad. As a kid Joanie I'd probably cry.

^ this.... The kid went out of his way to do something special , and you turn around and say this generous gift is wrong...As a child I would have been heart broken, especially if I really liked you as a teacher.
    AND s/he must really like you as a teacher to bring you an Iced mocha!

Id log it and drink it or do the fake sipping and pass it on later.

I do like the one teachers advice to say thank you gracefully and suggest the best gift would be a smile/good behavior.
  • Leebett
    Leebett Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Wow, Thank you for the positive, constructive responses. I can't believe how snarky some of you are! I have amazing students who I love dearly and would never want to squash their generosity. I work very hard to make them achieve their brightest potential, I would never intentionally break that trust.

I am not diabetic and I don't eat EVERY cookie lying around. I used that to try to show that I struggle with self-control (apparently some of us are very literal).

When I wrote my original post, I hadn't looked up the calories yet and thought there were a lot more than the actual. I'm still new to this and have been really working hard.

I accepted the drink with a thank you and a smile, drank a few sips while the student was present, drank about half total and threw the other half down the sink.

Again, thank you for your responses. Please remember when posting that this site is for people who are trying to better themselves. Rarely does negativity help anyone.