Runners- RUDE people!

Options

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I enjoy sleeping with every runner I pass. However, that is just personal preference.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    So, I'm out on my run this am..very early, about 610am I left. I don't understand other runners who you pass, and are literally inches from you, and don't wave back. I mean really? I'm running in suburbia here, not in the city. Do I really look that scary!? I know I'm sweaty and all...

i try to wave or at least smile but sometimes i'm SO FOCUSED on breathing and running and well just completely in my zone i don't notice that someone just passed by me.
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I wave, I smile, and sometimes I am too in the zone to realize there are others around me...It really just depends. I've had friends tell me that they saw me running and i went right past them without saying anything, while others have stepping in front of me trying to flag me down...it just depends on what i have on my mind, and the type of run I am doing..

I wouldn't say people are rude...we just all have our different ways of getting things done :)
  • CountingCaloriesSuxass
    CountingCaloriesSuxass Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Really??

Who cares if they do or dont..
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    eh, I usually do the headnod thing. But wouldn't take it personally if it wasn't returned. But I have a fun story:

One time I was running on a paved trail through some woods and lept over a snake in the middle of the trail. I saw an on coming woman runner, and I slowed to down to warn her about the snake. She had her headphones in, and didn't even aknowledge my existance. So I shurgged and continued on, and 2 minutes later heard a scream. I kind of smiled.
  • buttonfeet
    buttonfeet Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I enjoy sleeping with every runner I pass. However, that is just personal preference.

Um what?
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    F 'em.

Just confidently say "GOOD MORNING!", they're bound to look and smile at you!

If someone did that to me, I'd definitely laugh and wave at them.

Or I'd do what Gandalf does and question what they mean by "Good" morning:
    "What do you mean? Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"
  • KatieTee83
    KatieTee83 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to wave to other runners?

This. I don't wave to the person next to me on the elliptical machine. Why would I wave to the person I pass running on the sidewalk. We're all working out, not at a cocktail party.
  • SithLordJane
    Options
    Wave back???

maxwell_smart__confused.gif

I never wave to anyone. I'm too busy focusing on not hyperventilating and dying from heat stroke to be bothered by anyone. In fact, I would hope no one friggin' bothers me during my run.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I thought OP was kidding, until she clarified and reiterated she does think it's rude not to wave.

Oh my god, people. If someone doesn't want to say hi, wave, acknowledge your precious existence, THAT is not rude. Get over yourself.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

That's what they told me I had to do when I was getting fitted for my running shoes. I thought that was par for the course... is it not?
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I make a point of hugging every runner I pass, and giving them a sparkly sticker to keep and enjoy. No one can accuse ME of being rude.

LMAO

I nod. I don't wave. Sometimes if I am on the verge of death from heat exhaustion, exhaustion in general or dehydration from poor planning on my part.... I don't nod either. Running is hard for some people. Hard, embarassing and sometimes it's all we can do to stay upright. I'm certain the other person has not devoted as much time to thinking about you as you have to thinking about them after the fact.
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I wave and say good morning or smile, but I don't get my feelings hurt if they don't respond. It's not ALL runners who are rude, just some. Not fair to classify all of us that way
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to wave to other runners?

+1
    I must live in a rude place. I usually have to go all Ludacris (Move b*tch, get out the way!) on the people just standing around in a group blocking the sidewalk. lol
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    To clarify, I'm not talking a full "wave" like waving "HI" to someone, all I do is raise my hand slightly. I run on a trail, so people are literally RIGHT next to me. It's not like I'm taking it personally, I just find it rude. I had a great run- almost 7 miles.

okay wait i just saw this little statement - yes i find it rude sometimes as well. i was thinking you were in the street in a residential neighborhood and you passed someone on say the other side of the street. trail running is a different story you are pretty darn close to passers on trails and yes i've experienced this.
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I would have waved back!
  • PheonixRizing
    PheonixRizing Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I find that when I was running that my focus was on my breathing and not dying, i would wave or acknowledge when I could but I wouldn't let it frustrate you. Chances are they aren't being rude they are just concentrating.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    ...It's not like I'm taking it personally...

Except that you are.

hBCC22709
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

I know. Same here. Typically they complain about all the sweat but mostly they hate being on the bottom on the side of the road. The grass makes them all itchy.
  • aimeemc65
    aimeemc65 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My husband is a runner and pilot , so he runs all over the country. He says that there are certain cities where the runners never nod or wave ro you. We are in the midwest and most all do wave here.