Runners- RUDE people!

Options

Replies

• freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I was so stumped as to why this spandex clad stranger was clapping at me the first time, I had to think about it and asked at work later that day. "Did I get this wrong, is it just like him saying 'keep it up well done' cos the body language and facial expression felt too hostile for that" and a few guys just shrugged and said no, he wants you to move out of the way so he can stay running in a straight line. Not uncommon apparently but was a real shock to me. I felt like such a country bumpkin!

Like a deviation of 3 feet to the left with about 100 feet of warning would be far too much to process. I imagine it's like a dog barking when you get close, they don't know better. I just let it go, I'm not here to carry every weirdo neurosis I come across.

I'm guessing they were coming up behind you? Perhaps they clapped their hands so as not to startle you and make you jump. When I am running and I want to pass someone I typically start to clear my throat or cough as I approach and as I get closer and am going to pass I'll say rather loudly "On your left!" So they know which side I am passing on so that they don't crash into me.

That I could understand but nope, this was somebody in front of me, running towards me, we saw each other. Eye contact and everything.

I just mentioned this to the guy who sits next to me at work. He says nobody claps at him.

This might be because he's six and a half feet and has been lifting for like 20 years. If you run at/ clap at him you probably will end up in the emergency room. It'd be like a game of chicken with a bus. (I'm a shade over 5 feet, 120 lbs. Doesn't work the same)

However I am a nudge over five feet and 123lb so intimidation doesn't work for me.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Jeez! This is ridiculous.

I can't keep up with all the ways I'm supposed to act to please the rest of the effing planet. Not that I actually would. Ok, yes, I do wave to people when I run, but not for them, for me. If they don't wave back I don't care because I don't remember them 5 seconds later. I'M WORKING OUT. I don't have time for that nonsense.

OP-- maybe you should wear a shirt that says "wave at me please" so those want to can wave at you and the rest of us can make sure we are on the other side of the street so we don't disappoint you.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

I can't keep up with all the ways I'm supposed to act to please the rest of the effing planet. Not that I actually would. Ok, yes, I do wave to people when I run, but not for them, for me. If they don't wave back I don't care because I don't remember them 5 seconds later. I'M WORKING OUT. I don't have time for that nonsense.

OP-- maybe you should wear a shirt that says "wave at me please" so those want to can wave at you and the rest of us can make sure we are on the other side of the street so we don't disappoint you.

I love you Karin. Could not agree more.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    It depends are where you live. In NY we would say "what are looking at?!" In Boston is like "hey eff you, I hope you pull a hamstring." That's how we roll.

But now that I have moved to the sticks a few weeks ago, people out on the front porch for a morning smoke and coffee say good morning and wave. And so do the runners.

i'm originally from the boston area (Lowell, MA) to be exact and i can tell you i would still wave and say hello regardless of the response or lack of but that's just me.
  • healthymelisa
    healthymelisa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm in the burbs too and I feel like everyone I pass by wants to have a conversation with me. LIke this morning, some lady was talking to me about her dog. Honestly, I just want to get my walk/jog done without any distractions. I'm not being rude, I'm just on a mission.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I usually have a smile ready, and wave sometimes. Some people nod, some say good morning, some wave, some just run on by. Zones, early morning, whatever - doesn't bother me. I do say hi to the cows when they are up close to the fence when I run by. :bigsmile: One day a small herd of them started running along beside me for the length of the pasture. :laugh: Happy cows.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Maybe its because I'm Canadian... but I've found most runners to be genuinely happy people. I usually wave, nod or gasp a hello depending on what kind of run I'm on...
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options

Hahaaaaaaa awesome!
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    When I'm running I'm not typically paying special attention to those around me. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm probably lost in my music or thinking about how hot it is. If I notice someone wave, I'll smile and wave back, but I didn't realize being on a run meant you automatically had to be in some sort of buddies club where waving was mandatory. .
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    They are just concentrating, in their zone, or zoning out.
    Or they are introverts getting their solitary-exercise only to be interrupted by some sweaty over-eager extrovert
    :-)
    Some runners think it's rude to "be interrupted" while they are concentrating on their workout (pace, distance, body form, mental zone, relaxing to lower their heartrate, practicing tuning out distractions, etc.)
    Not to mention who is wearing hidden earbuds and listening to a book or radio show, music, etc. Did you interrupt their program?
    No who's seeming rude?
    It's all in the perception I suppose
    :-)
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Runners are either A) people who enjoy the almost meditative state induced by endurance exercise; or B) people who already hate their body enough to subject it to thousands of repetitions of high-impact activity, so clearly they hate everyone else too ;)
  • delaniecastillo
    Options
    I'm in Texas so we usually just tip our ten gallon hat at each other when passing by during a run and say, "HOWDY YA'LL!"
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I was so stumped as to why this spandex clad stranger was clapping at me the first time, I had to think about it and asked at work later that day. "Did I get this wrong, is it just like him saying 'keep it up well done' cos the body language and facial expression felt too hostile for that" and a few guys just shrugged and said no, he wants you to move out of the way so he can stay running in a straight line. Not uncommon apparently but was a real shock to me. I felt like such a country bumpkin!

Like a deviation of 3 feet to the left with about 100 feet of warning would be far too much to process. I imagine it's like a dog barking when you get close, they don't know better. I just let it go, I'm not here to carry every weirdo neurosis I come across.

I'm guessing they were coming up behind you? Perhaps they clapped their hands so as not to startle you and make you jump. When I am running and I want to pass someone I typically start to clear my throat or cough as I approach and as I get closer and am going to pass I'll say rather loudly "On your left!" So they know which side I am passing on so that they don't crash into me.

That I could understand but nope, this was somebody in front of me, running towards me, we saw each other. Eye contact and everything.

I just mentioned this to the guy who sits next to me at work. He says nobody claps at him.

This might be because he's six and a half feet and has been lifting for like 20 years. If you run at/ clap at him you probably will end up in the emergency room. It'd be like a game of chicken with a bus. (I'm a shade over 5 feet, 120 lbs. Doesn't work the same)

However I am a nudge over five feet and 123lb so intimidation doesn't work for me.

Could they have been listening to some music and was clapping along to the beat? Was it like a slow clap, applause type clap? Just a few sharp, loud claps? Maybe he was keeping his tempo with his clapping.

IDK. Just trying to figure it out. LOL
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I didn't wave...:sad:

Do you know hard it is for me to run with all this thickness? Takes GREAT concentration.

Now you're being mean to me...:cry:
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't wave if I didn't know you or had not seen you out a dozen times before.
    My mom taught me not to talk or wave or smile or acknowledge strangers.

If it comes off rude to others, so be it. I am not out running to make the other runners happy.
    If I see you in a grocery store I will smile and wave... see then it looks like I am crazy.
  • rsimoneau1
    rsimoneau1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I say good morning, but never really expect an answer back. Except from the little old lady I see on Main Street. I say "Bonjour Memere", and she usually yells back "Coment sa va?" or however you spell that, as I'm running by. A lot of the affluent older (80s and such) are French Canadian in my town, and the retirement home on Main Street is full of them.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Usually pass with a good morning, if no reply it's of no loss to me. If you do come flying up on a bike behind me with no acknowledgement and almost trample me I may get a little peeved and keep that good morning to myself! Sorry just venting a little :smile:
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options

HA! No *kitten*. The last thing I want to do is be obligated to someone else's rules at 6 in the morning, while I'm torturing myself instead of drinking coffee.

I wave in the evening, if I'm not dying. But, seriously, I always thought it was my arm, my option.
    People are so sensitive. Gotta love what the 'everyone gets a trophy' movement has done to this country (USA)
  • Teardrop81
    Teardrop81 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I can usually manage a nod and the one finger wave. Depending on how my breathing is doing I may or may not attempt a " hi howareya". It might sound more like an "uhhh" with deep bass notes. They'd think they were on a zombie run. I usually don't even wait on a response. I'm back focused before they have a chance anyway.
  • Leah_Alexis
    Leah_Alexis Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I had no idea runners were to wave. I don't run outdoors yet but my husband does. We were out for a walk yesterday as a family and a runner went by. He saw my husband and said hello as he passed. A moment later my husband mentioned that he sees that guy run some evenings. Very nice.

Last week I took my son (in the stroller) and our dog out for a walk. A runner snuck up behind us (she was pretty quiet) and was only inches away from our stroller - her elbow just brushed my elbow. With her being so close to us my dog tried to lunge at her. What If either of us shifted and collided? I wasn't impressed.