Runners- RUDE people!

Options

Replies

• Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    The earlier in the morning the less likely I am to wave -- especially if I'm in the first mile and not actually awake yet. Don't take it personal.
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I live more out in the country,and the few runners I do see now and then when I run though town all wave or say hi. Heck even people driving past wave now and then. What disturbs me most though is as I'm running past the farm's the Cow's and Horse's wave their tail's at me. Or maybe I'm delirious from running.
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    They clap at you to get out of their way?!?!?!

wm9Srgj.gif

I was so stumped as to why this spandex clad stranger was clapping at me the first time, I had to think about it and asked at work later that day. "Did I get this wrong, is it just like him saying 'keep it up well done' cos the body language and facial expression felt too hostile for that" and a few guys just shrugged and said no, he wants you to move out of the way so he can stay running in a straight line. Not uncommon apparently but was a real shock to me. I felt like such a country bumpkin!

Like a deviation of 3 feet to the left with about 100 feet of warning would be far too much to process. I imagine it's like a dog barking when you get close, they don't know better. I just let it go, I'm not here to carry every weirdo neurosis I come across.
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I am about to get into running and I would think waving or anything else would get you out of the groove, off balanced, etc. A head nod or a winded smile would be fine in my opinion.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    they never wave back at me, but it's hard passing them on their treadmill. Makes it awkward.
  • jacque930
    jacque930 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'll wave at anyone who doesn't scare me when running as long as I can still lift my arms. Beyond 20 miles or so, it goes down to about the 1-finger wave, traditional wave in Nebraska :wink:

The 1-finger wave.. love it! it cracks me up. I grew up around it (in Nebraska) and when I visit my hometown I have to remember to "wave" :)

I say, don't take it personal. When people are exercising sometimes they are zoned into it and therefore they don't acknowledge the people around them much or at all. When I workout, I am there to workout, focused, and then done. I don't care to socialize while working out.. I would rather socialize at another time.
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I must counter this. I was walking in the park and a runner who had passed me by on a few laps, slowed up and encouraged me to run with him. He set a landmark about 500 yards down the lane and asked me to run with him to there, once we were there he set another. I hadn't run in 13 years; that little bit of encouragement from a complete stranger showed me that I can still do it, and that it's a viable exercise option for me. I may not be able to do a full mile yet, but I did way more than I thought I could that time... who knows.
  • MommaHoff
    MommaHoff Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'll wave on short runs or at the beginning but towards the end I'm just trying to stay on my feet. My knees are scared up enough from falling.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I must live in a very friendly area......I run the same route at pretty much the same times week in, week out and see many of the same faces over and over and greet other runners, quite a few cyclists and people out walking their dogs etc. It's even more fun because some are English speakers and others French so for the verbal ones it's usually a "Bonjour, Good Morning!"

I've seen the occasional runner who doesn't return the wave, I usually assume that they're lost in thought.

You are obviously in a much friendlier part of Quebec than I am. I'm actually shocked when someone says "Hello" or "Bonjour" when I'm out running. I do smile and wave at other runners / walkers though

I noticed a dramatic difference when running in my mother's neighbourhood in NS, while on vacation. So much friendlier.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    US RUNNERS ROCK!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    sometimes I wave, sometimes I don't, sometimes I make eye contact, sometimes I don't, sometimes I smile, sometimes I wince. Dont worry about what I am doing, I can guarantee whatever it is, has nothing to do with you.

That says it all. I typically smile and nod, maybe say "hi," but I'm not sure if it looks that way from the outside. The smile might look like a grimace at best, a snarl at worst, the nod could just be the normal bobbing motion of running, and "hi" might come out, "gha."
  • redlion45
    redlion45 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Don't take it personally. I pass lots of people on my runs and I am so asleep at that hour that I can barely focus on my run and where I am stepping, never mind thinking of something to say to each person I pass. Not trying to be mean.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I don't always wave or nod or what have you. Mainly because I am focused on what I'm doing and my run that it doesn't occur to me to nod, wave, shout HI! to someone I am passing.

I assure you it has nothing to do with you.
  • MommaHoff
    MommaHoff Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of the other day when a friend and I were out for a walk through an urban wilderness trail. We thought we were the only ones there and were bopping along chatting and giggling when all of a sudden we hear this deep voice behind us "on your left". My friend screamed the loudest blood curdling scream I've ever heard. I thought she had been stabbed or something. Her screamed scared me and I screamed (and peed a little). The poor guy that was just trying to let us know he was passing us on our left screamed and had to stop running. I turned around to look at him and he was bent over laughing. It was one of the funniest moments I've had while out walking. I feel bad for scaring him bad enough to make him scream and have to stop running. But not every time I think about it I laugh so hard I cry.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    They clap at you to get out of their way?!?!?!

wm9Srgj.gif

I was so stumped as to why this spandex clad stranger was clapping at me the first time, I had to think about it and asked at work later that day. "Did I get this wrong, is it just like him saying 'keep it up well done' cos the body language and facial expression felt too hostile for that" and a few guys just shrugged and said no, he wants you to move out of the way so he can stay running in a straight line. Not uncommon apparently but was a real shock to me. I felt like such a country bumpkin!

Like a deviation of 3 feet to the left with about 100 feet of warning would be far too much to process. I imagine it's like a dog barking when you get close, they don't know better. I just let it go, I'm not here to carry every weirdo neurosis I come across.

When I'm running 6 - 7 miles it makes a HUGE difference if I have to take an extra step to the side. That totally sucks because in an actual race I never have to step around anyone. I get my own special lane paved with yellow bricks that the other runners just "know" not to use. I also have someone running in front of me with a windshield so I don't have to counter the wind or feel it slow me down.
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    they never wave back at me, but it's hard passing them on their treadmill. Makes it awkward.

:laugh: I found this funnier than I should have...haha
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I thought OP was kidding, until she clarified and reiterated she does think it's rude not to wave.

Oh my god, people. If someone doesn't want to say hi, wave, acknowledge your precious existence, THAT is not rude. Get over yourself.

i live in a very friendly neighborhood and i wave or smile to everyone who passes me including the cars/trucks and they wave back. it's what i love about my neighborhood. it has nothing to do with acknowledging someone's existence and stroking their ego it has to do with common courtesy and maybe if we all spent a little more time showing a little common courtesy maybe we as a society would be a little less high strung.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    In the small neighborhood in the small city where I live, EVERYONE waves when people walk by, ride by on a bike or in a car, , EVERYONE speaks to everyone and often stop and talk for extended periods of time. People (myself included) usually hold doors for ladies and elderly. People here are very polite HOWEVER, that being said, running is an activity that for many, requires focus and the smallest distractions can have adverse affects on important things lie BREATHING and it is understood, runners are often doing all they can do already.
  • mellorunner
    Options
    My level of greeting depends on my mood and effort level. If it's a recovery run and I'm well rested/not pissy about something else, then I'll say hello and wave. If It is a bit quicker of a run I might just do a wave. The faster the run is the more likely someone will just get a head nod, or nothing at all.

If I'm in a bad mood? Yea, I'll probably just glare at you from behind my sunglasses. Don't take it personally, I'm giving everyone the same treatment.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    You should turn back and follow all the runners who don't wave back to you. That'll teach 'em.