Replies

• jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    lol.
  • Elif84
    Elif84 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Where I live you're considered weird when waving or saying hello when passing a stranger on the street.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    It depends are where you live. In NY we would say "what are looking at?!" In Boston is like "hey eff you, I hope you pull a hamstring." That's how we roll.

But now that I have moved to the sticks a few weeks ago, people out on the front porch for a morning smoke and coffee say good morning and wave. And so do the runners.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I usually wave back, but OMG sometimes I'm just dying and way too tired depending on how long I've been running.
  • LouPerseghin
    LouPerseghin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Personally, it has nothing to do with the other person and everything to do with where I am at in my own run.

If I'm working through a particularly difficult mile or stretch, am coming off a long hill, am 10 miles in to a 12 mile run etc., I am less likely to wave back just because I'm concentrating more on my own rhythm.

For most people I would say that not waving back has nothing to do with the person doing the waving. I always wave if I'm feeling good and not trying to break through some mental or physical barrier of my own.
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I was so stumped as to why this spandex clad stranger was clapping at me the first time, I had to think about it and asked at work later that day. "Did I get this wrong, is it just like him saying 'keep it up well done' cos the body language and facial expression felt too hostile for that" and a few guys just shrugged and said no, he wants you to move out of the way so he can stay running in a straight line. Not uncommon apparently but was a real shock to me. I felt like such a country bumpkin!

Like a deviation of 3 feet to the left with about 100 feet of warning would be far too much to process. I imagine it's like a dog barking when you get close, they don't know better. I just let it go, I'm not here to carry every weirdo neurosis I come across.

What an arrogant, self-entitled, egocentric little prick. I would've been dumbfounded by that kind of behavior too.
    When I'm running 6 - 7 miles it makes a HUGE difference if I have to take an extra step to the side. That totally sucks because in an actual race I never have to step around anyone. I get my own special lane paved with yellow bricks that the other runners just "know" not to use. I also have someone running in front of me with a windshield so I don't have to counter the wind or feel it slow me down.

Oi, stop stealing my patented racing methods. You missed out the bit about the palanquin though.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Where I live you're considered weird when waving or saying hello when passing a stranger on the street.

In the city of crime New York, NY????? I guess so. Tell me, why do people CHOOSE to live in places like that?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

In the city of crime New York, NY????? I guess so. Tell me, why do people CHOOSE to live in places like that?

to get away from judgmental people? What different does it make?
  • msladydove
    msladydove Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Geeez, It seems that when you say something or if you don't say anything you offend someone..... I just be myself and don"t worry about what everyone else is doing.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    :smile: I give a little wave, smile and nod, or the like because I run around my block and it seems like the right thing to do when you see the same neighbors out there with you all the time. Usually people reciprocate; I've never thought to chase anyone down and knock them over for not responding though. Hmmm.... maybe I'll fling a shot blok at their heads?
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Give people a break at six in the morning. They may not be awake yet.....or they could be zombies.

I've certainly woken at mile three of a five mile run at 6:00 am.

the key to morning running for me is set everything up the night before. When the alarm goes off, it's feet on the floor and out the door in less than 6 minutes. If I stop to think about I'll talk myself out of it. there have been plenty of times when I've "come to" while running down the street. It's pretty disorienting the first several times it happens.

As far as not waiving back? Not rude at all.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    So, I'm out on my run this am..very early, about 610am I left. I don't understand other runners who you pass, and are literally inches from you, and don't wave back. I mean really? I'm running in suburbia here, not in the city. Do I really look that scary!? I know I'm sweaty and all...

Wave? WAVE??

Dang I have just about enough energy to put one foot in front of the other, without extra effort to lift my arm! :laugh:

Give 'em the 'V' sign and see if they react then :devil:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I thought OP was kidding, until she clarified and reiterated she does think it's rude not to wave.

Oh my god, people. If someone doesn't want to say hi, wave, acknowledge your precious existence, THAT is not rude. Get over yourself.
    i live in a very friendly neighborhood and i wave or smile to everyone who passes me including the cars/trucks and they wave back. it's what i love about my neighborhood. it has nothing to do with acknowledging someone's existence and stroking their ego it has to do with common courtesy and maybe if we all spent a little more time showing a little common courtesy maybe we as a society would be a little less high strung.
    What I find courteous is not the same as what you do. I would prefer it if people would not expect me to think and behave the way they want.

It's great that you love that about your neighborhood. I would not. And the clarification is that it's not rude. We just have different opinions on what is courteous. If you want to wave, fine. Rude would be if I said something nasty about your waving. Not waving back is not rude. I just choose not to interact.
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I always say hello! :flowerforyou:
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    You should turn back and follow all the runners who don't wave back to you. That'll teach 'em.

What throw little pebbles at the backs of their heads and stuff? :laugh:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If I'm jogging or walking I'll give you a wave or a nod. If I'm actually running, that means I'm pushing...which means I barely know you exist, especially if I'm pushing a big hill. I suggest getting over it and just focusing on your task at hand.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I was so stumped as to why this spandex clad stranger was clapping at me the first time, I had to think about it and asked at work later that day. "Did I get this wrong, is it just like him saying 'keep it up well done' cos the body language and facial expression felt too hostile for that" and a few guys just shrugged and said no, he wants you to move out of the way so he can stay running in a straight line. Not uncommon apparently but was a real shock to me. I felt like such a country bumpkin!

Like a deviation of 3 feet to the left with about 100 feet of warning would be far too much to process. I imagine it's like a dog barking when you get close, they don't know better. I just let it go, I'm not here to carry every weirdo neurosis I come across.

I'm guessing they were coming up behind you? Perhaps they clapped their hands so as not to startle you and make you jump. When I am running and I want to pass someone I typically start to clear my throat or cough as I approach and as I get closer and am going to pass I'll say rather loudly "On your left!" So they know which side I am passing on so that they don't crash into me.
    i live in a very friendly neighborhood and i wave or smile to everyone who passes me including the cars/trucks and they wave back. it's what i love about my neighborhood. it has nothing to do with acknowledging someone's existence and stroking their ego it has to do with common courtesy and maybe if we all spent a little more time showing a little common courtesy maybe we as a society would be a little less high strung.

I also live in a small neighborhood and it is common to wave to people who are driving or walking by but if someone doesn't wave back I am certainly not going to be upset about it. There have been plenty of times I haven't waved back because I either didn't feel like it, didn't realize I was being waved to or was too much in my own world that I didn't notice.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I live in a small town and everyone waves and says hi if they pass while running/walking, bikes not so much. I run with my son, which is kind of a three ring circus anyway, since kiddo will shout hello at people and wave enthusiastically unless he thinks I'm working him too hard and is loudly complaining... yeah, we receive a lot of attention. Cringe.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    all runners i meet usually wave, bicyclists too, but their meaning is for me to hop into the brambles, so they don't have to move another inch into the EMPTY road, so IMO cyclists are rude (they also don't obey road signage, and litter the road with gel packs, but, sorry, i am rambling)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    The place I go to walk everyone says good morning/hi. I also try to say good morning to everyone I see. It just makes me feel a bit more cheery and enthusiastic. Every once in a while there's a runner who doesn't say anything. Most bikers just ignore me. But whatever. I'm not there for them, I'm there for myself.