Clean vs Processed - Bragging

Options
12346»

Replies

• Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I consider the way I eat to be "clean" but I have my not-so-clean meals. For instance, today, I had a subway turkey flat bread for lunch. I allow stuff like that sometimes, but for the most part I try to stick to the natural- lean proteins, lots of veggies, lots of fruits, some whole oats, brown rice here and there, sweet potatoes, greek yogurt, honey. Clean for me is as whole and unprocessed as possible. But I do pro powders, sugar replacements, deli meats, etc. I don't do McDonalds, Pizza, chicken nuggets, hot pockets, etc... unless it is a scheduled cheat meal. On those days I usually go with sushi, cuz its soooo delicious. I lost a lot of weight just counting calories. I've lost 25 pounds more cleaning it up. Now with just about 10 lbs to go to have my bf% where I want it, I have to really focus on clean. I want to be lean, not just not fat. That's how my body rolls. To each his own.. but I do take pride in eating for performance.. most who do, do.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I like it dirty.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    My question is.. Do you react the same way in these threads as you do in real life? If you feel its important that you inform the public about health issues/non-issues do you normally jump on people when they say things you disagree with?

I ask because on a weekly basis, I get unsolicited advice on weight loss. In the past month I have been told about: Atkins...Plexus Slim... Eating Clean.. Stuff they saw on Dr. Oz...Crossfit...Fear of getting bulky from Crossfit... and some kind of spray that you put under your tounge.... So if I hear all of these things all of the time.. then surely you hear them pretty often. Do you react by being a jerk and bragging about the poptarts that you ate?

I get solicited with those things, as well. I respectfully decline the offer and give a little reason why. Not much different than I would post in here.

I, also, am one to post pictures of my poptarts, ice cream, etc. for my friends to see. I don't do this to brag. Most people who I've known for several years have seen me lose 50 lbs. So, they automatically assume that I only eat chicken and veggies and that stereotypical "junk" food is off limits. I post them so that those same people can understand that losing weight doesn't have to be restrictive and that it can be fun.

Of course, I don't eat poptarts, cookies, ice cream everyday. A box of poptarts may take me a month or more to eat, but I don't look at that type of food as off limits or something that would hinder my efforts.

I think that IIFYMers create more work for themselves by posting up all of those poptart icecream sandwiches and triple fried onion cheese burgers in argument to clean eaters. I had never heard of IIFYM until I started using MFP message boards... so when I would go to "Clean VS. IIFYM" post I would think that IIFYM was promoting eating very unhealthy things on a daily basis as long as it fit into your calorie goal. Like eating 2000 calories of pure junk. So to me... eating "clean" looked alot better. Turns out, I was eating IIFYM the whole time (like 80% "clean" and 20% junk.)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I ask because on a weekly basis, I get unsolicited advice on weight loss. In the past month I have been told about: Atkins...Plexus Slim... Eating Clean.. Stuff they saw on Dr. Oz...Crossfit...Fear of getting bulky from Crossfit... and some kind of spray that you put under your tounge.... So if I hear all of these things all of the time.. then surely you hear them pretty often. Do you react by being a jerk and bragging about the poptarts that you ate?

What's "being a jerk" about telling people who are discussing food/diet/nutrition with you that you eat Pop Tarts? With telling people what's working for you?

Any time any of my real life friends or acquaintances noticed I'd lost weight and asked how I did it, I told them I took up running and lifting weights, and track my food on MyFitnessPal. I might go further into how tracking my food on MFP is awesome, because I'm surprised at how many calories I can eat and still lose. That previously, I thought it was all about being hungry all the time, but now I realize I can still eat pizza and pasta and garlic bread and bagels and everything else I love.

But only if they ask.

If they just say, "Wow, you look great!" I just say, "Thank you." :flowerforyou: And add, "So do you," because even if they don't, it's the right thing to say.
  • breeshabebe
    Options
    My question is.. Do you react the same way in these threads as you do in real life? If you feel its important that you inform the public about health issues/non-issues do you normally jump on people when they say things you disagree with?

Not quite sure who you intended this for so if it was me then..... I get solicited crap in my PM too from Beachbody to Body wraps I should try to tighten up my loose skin after loosing so much weight. I don't even respond to them, just grin and delete them. As far as reacting the same way here out in the real world... yes if I am asked or I am in a group conversation, etc... I tell them the same thing as I do here I have no issue with anyone diet cause I do not consider foods in categories of good and bad. I then explain to them (mainly because after losing the weight I have people are genuinely interest in how I did it)I tel them I keep it simple by watching my set caloric intake, hitting my macro's by eating lean meats, veggies, fruits and whole grains and if I have any calories remaining I fill them with discretionary items such as pop tarts and ice cream or anything else that will fit. If you deem this being a jerk or bragging well then that is your own opinion and really no offense I could care less. The gifs of pop tarts and whatnot are normally in good humor as I did above for a friend of mine who is in a cut currently and wanted to see something he currently can't have right now.... if that come across as bragging well then I don't know what to tell you..... Best of Luck....

My work blocks most of the GIFs- so I didn't realize that you had posted that or I would have used another example. It wasn't directed at you. I think that in the "Clean Vs. IIFYM" threads... the pics of poptarts/burgers/whatever else.. the pics are funny because they are used at someone elses expense. I respect someone who will respectfully disagree with me rather than make fun of me because I'm not seeing something clearly.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I like it dirty.

Giggity.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Not quite sure who you intended this for so if it was me then..... I get solicited crap in my PM too from Beachbody to Body wraps I should try to tighten up my loose skin after loosing so much weight. I don't even respond to them, just grin and delete them. As far as reacting the same way here out in the real world... yes if I am asked or I am in a group conversation, etc... I tell them the same thing as I do here I have no issue with anyone diet cause I do not consider foods in categories of good and bad. I then explain to them (mainly because after losing the weight I have people are genuinely interest in how I did it)I tel them I keep it simple by watching my set caloric intake, hitting my macro's by eating lean meats, veggies, fruits and whole grains and if I have any calories remaining I fill them with discretionary items such as pop tarts and ice cream or anything else that will fit. If you deem this being a jerk or bragging well then that is your own opinion and really no offense I could care less. The gifs of pop tarts and whatnot are normally in good humor as I did above for a friend of mine who is in a cut currently and wanted to see something he currently can't have right now.... if that come across as bragging well then I don't know what to tell you..... Best of Luck....

My work blocks most of the GIFs- so I didn't realize that you had posted that or I would have used another example. It wasn't directed at you. I think that in the "Clean Vs. IIFYM" threads... the pics of poptarts/burgers/whatever else.. the pics are funny because they are used at someone elses expense. I respect someone who will respectfully disagree with me rather than make fun of me because I'm not seeing something clearly.

Fair enough and I respect that....... Most of the time I post gifs in fun and normally they are directed at people in threads that are on my FL...... like I said I have no issues whatsoever with anyone's approach to weight loss or so called healthy living but we will always (not you just anyone in general) disagree if you think I have to eat 100% clean (whatever that means lol) because my beliefs will never follow those lines. Could I die in 10 years from a disease or ??? yeah maybe but I could also do everything perfect and get hit by bus tomorrow.... point being I am going to enjoy life and all that it has to offer because just 4 short years ago I sat in this very same chair for 3 days trying to eat a bullet cause I had dug myself into a hole I thought there was no way out of...... So my beliefs now follow a different path...... :drinker: Have a Great Day.....
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    just switch to raw honey. It's clean.
    Bee spit is for baby bees. You don't see other species eating another animal's spit.

08e4486d50ba49eba88fbd281566c728@2x.gif
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    just switch to raw honey. It's clean.
    Bee spit is for baby bees. You don't see other species eating another animal's spit.

08e4486d50ba49eba88fbd281566c728@2x.gif
    2542041201_6a348093ce_o.jpg
  • ReadynWillin
    ReadynWillin Posts: 104
    Options
    Eh, I do both. I try to eat a lot of minimally processed things, but mostly so I can make room for the occasional "junky" treat and still meet my goals. I just try not to be an *kitten* about anything. Sometimes I fail.

^ The world would be a better place if people were more like you lol
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I think that IIFYMers create more work for themselves by posting up all of those poptart icecream sandwiches and triple fried onion cheese burgers in argument to clean eaters. I had never heard of IIFYM until I started using MFP message boards... so when I would go to "Clean VS. IIFYM" post I would think that IIFYM was promoting eating very unhealthy things on a daily basis as long as it fit into your calorie goal. Like eating 2000 calories of pure junk. So to me... eating "clean" looked alot better. Turns out, I was eating IIFYM the whole time (like 80% "clean" and 20% junk.)

This.

IIFYM folks tend to play to the strawmen only making matters worse. That isn't how they really eat a vast majority of the time unless their macro goals are really warped or they heavily rely on protein powder.

While the Pop Tart is the king of IIFYM straw men, even IIFYM folks see Pop Tarts as fairly useless treat calories, it is seen as an indulgence food by all with rational eating habits.

Protein bars on the other hand are a real flash point food. Protein bars are the epitome of ultraprocessing, scary ingredients lists, evil sugar. You name it, it is a horry story frankenfood for clean eaters. On the other side of the fence, a IIFYM eater will likely see a Protein bar as a superfood, given their high protein to calorie ratio and vitamin fortification. On top of that they can be as tasty as a candy bar.

There in unfortunately too much hot air blown about indulgence foods, and not nearly enough discussion about IIFYM vs. Clean incompatible foods that are NOT treat foods.

Things like processed meats; sausages, deli meat. Dairy products like cheeses and yogurts. Enriched foods like the aforementioned protein bars and stuff like high protein cereals. The kind of foods that a kind to your daily IIFYM goals but villified by clean eaters.

As any IIFYM eater knows, the clean eater favorite bacon is frickin horrible for your macro goals, it is pretty much a meat form of Pop Tarts.

Take for example my lunch today. All levels of clean eater hate, awesome IIFYM numbers. Processed everything, HFCS, artificial sweetener.

1/3 lb honey ham
    2 slices 2% american cheese
    2 slices wheat bread
    1 cup lite greek yogurt
    1 small fruit cup
    1 small chocolate pudding cup
    1 can diet soda

687 cals, 58g protein, 6g fiber
    18% vit A
    110% vit C
    95% calcium
    20% iron

That's pretty darn good. Little low on the fiber, but good everywhere else. On top of that its a substantial and filling amount of food, and includes some chocolate.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I don't really "get" the difference anyway..

IIFYM is a methodology of eating good foods until you meet whatever your goals are, and then being able to have whatever you want to fill in any caloric deficiet you want to fill..whetehr it be an apple or pop tarts.

What I eat has nothing to do with it, from what I see. i think I do IIFYM.. but I do it while eating mostly clean. yesterday.. i was way low on calories, so I make a watermelon breeze drink. healhty, clean and sweet. I dont' kwo how that's not a treat! I coulda made myself cheesecake if I wanted to, (i did a few days ago actually lol) still would have been mostly clean.. (except for the cream cheese according to most people).. but not healthy. I eat the way I do because I like it and it tastes better.

I have to admit to the same thing as the previous poster.. I really though that IIFYM was all about eating junk as long as you eat under your goals.. which made no sense to me, but it's what all the threads lead you to beleive. Either way.. I never grew up eating that way, I only did it in college and when I was broke. Crappy food is also extremely cheap. Fits into a budget of 0 dollars. LOL Plus I never liked pop tarts.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I dont know why people are so catty about either group

congrats on being able to eat processed
    congrats on being able to eat unprocessed.

some people like eating processed, some people dont like the taste (i havent liked the taste of processed since told im prediabetic and started to actually chew my food, have you ever chewed bread more than 5 times?)

PS.. This

ugh and all that salt in that processed stuff.. it's all i can taste.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I get solicited with those things, as well. I respectfully decline the offer and give a little reason why. Not much different than I would post in here.

I, also, am one to post pictures of my poptarts, ice cream, etc. for my friends to see. I don't do this to brag. Most people who I've known for several years have seen me lose 50 lbs. So, they automatically assume that I only eat chicken and veggies and that stereotypical "junk" food is off limits. I post them so that those same people can understand that losing weight doesn't have to be restrictive and that it can be fun.

Of course, I don't eat poptarts, cookies, ice cream everyday. A box of poptarts may take me a month or more to eat, but I don't look at that type of food as off limits or something that would hinder my efforts.

Those gifs are meant in jest. I personally would prefer to focus my entertainment time, which is what MFP basically is, on things that I enjoy. Chicken breasts aren't so much fun, but Pop Tarts are, even though I rarely eat them.

People can either use their brains and figure out that others have a sense of humor, and actually read the serious descriptions of IIFYM, or they don't. It's not up to us to educate those that are either too lazy to read or have poor reading comprehension skills. Those are mountains that aren't worth the effort to climb. I frankly don't care what "side" anyone comes down on, I just wish the crazies would stop PMing my friends and me with predictions of our demise by cancer because we have a cup of ice cream many days. It's silly, but not in a fun way.
  • breeshabebe
    Options

People can either use their brains and figure out that others have a sense of humor, and actually read the serious descriptions of IIFYM, or they don't. It's not up to us to educate those that are either too lazy to read or have poor reading comprehension skills. Those are mountains that aren't worth the effort to climb. I frankly don't care what "side" anyone comes down on, I just wish the crazies would stop PMing my friends and me with predictions of our demise by cancer because we have a cup of ice cream many days. It's silly, but not in a fun way.

I get humor and I get sarcasm- I'm crazy sarcastic... but at first glance it just looks like IIFYMers promote junk. It took me 2 months to actually look into what a macro was. I'm no fitness gureau.. I grew up on hot pockets, frozen pizza and poptarts... everything that I've done with weight loss has been hit or miss. Research? Puh! I had no freaking clue that there was all of this debate over health. Too lazy? I guess so. I would rather be punched with a brick in the face then spend all of my time researching every single "diet" "lifestyle" out there. I don't look into things unless its brought to my attention. Most people I talk with on a day to day basis have NO idea about IIFYM.
  • IMarieB
    IMarieB Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    For the love...why is this thread necessary after the 36 that came before it this week??????

You seem a little stressed.

Have you tried eliminating added sugar from your diet?

lol
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I've ever seen a "IIFYM" thread that didn't have someone say, 'Oh, so you're just eating junk all the time," followed by someone explaining - or at least posting a link explaining - what it actually means. And no matter how many times it's explained, people still believe what they want to believe.

I can't reach my nutritional goals eating nothing but, for instance, pasta. I eat pasta quite frequently, but I have it with vegetables and olive oil and some kind of protein (usually chicken). That's how pasta fits my macros. Same goes for pizza. As a stand-alone food, it isn't perfectly nutritionally balanced (although my homemade comes close!), but combined with the other foods I eat during the course of the day, week, month, etc. it fits beautifully.

I didn't know diddly squat about fitness or nutrition when I joined here. Hell, the first time I saw someone say they were eating Paleo, I thought they misspelled Paella. :blushing:
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    All the clean eating debates lately have made me very curious about something. Why is that some feel the desire to brag about how much preprared or processed or junk (or whatever term you like) food they eat, while others brag about eating clean?

Often, if you check the open diaries, both contain both good amounts of both clean and processed/preprepared foods. So, what is it that makes 2 different people who eat similar diets brag about and deny/not mention the different parts of their diet?

For about the 10th time this week. The real issue resides in the, generally, preachy nature of the "clean eaters". Spouting off how the processed food will give you 31290471274 dieseases, you'll die of cancer overnight, your kids hair will fall out, & your ancestors will rise from the grave due to all the processed foods.

Blatently spreading bad information and demonizing food though is completely out of place, wrong, and dangerous to the general fitness, weight loss, & health community. Otherwise I don't care dafuq anyone puts in their body.

30sj0ap.gif

This.

Not really. It's not just one side that's preachy.