You know you're old when...

Options

Replies

• toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You were able to get your first drink at the age of 18 legally.

You remember when the 26th Amendment was adopted which lowered the voting age to 18. You remember the failure of The Equal Rights Amendment. You remember the introduction of "Ms."
  • nottaquitter
    nottaquitter Posts: 130
    Options
    When you can quote lines from Bradey Bunch reruns

When you can still sing the theme from "Talk to Mr. Ed." Nothing like those unsingable themes from "Mad Men," "Dexter," and "Breaking Bad."*

*J/K
    OMG hahahaha
  • nottaquitter
    nottaquitter Posts: 130
    Options
    When you can quote lines from Bradey Bunch reruns

When you can still sing the theme from "Talk to Mr. Ed." Nothing like those unsingable themes from "Mad Men," "Dexter," and "Breaking Bad."*

*J/K
    OMG hahahaha
    Jesus I am old
  • dkirkling
    dkirkling Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    you walk in a room to get something then forget what you went to get.
  • native2music
    Options
    When you absolutely can't imagine going to a concert or see a local band play during a weeknight. (Seems here in TN, venues don't know how to schedule on any other night than a Thursday.) I refuse to go unless on a weekend... I made one exception... blues artist, Jonny Lang... worth it? yes, but I felt like dog poo the next day at work :ohwell:

I also felt old when I heard that most schools stopped teaching cursive writing. What?! Then I began thinking how different it was when I was in school compared to my 15 year old son. Main differences: he took a foreign language in elementary school (which is not a bad idea), he was lucky enough to have learned cursive writing before they stopped teaching it, but now that he is older no one enforces cursive, everything is researched online (when I was in school, we had to use newspapers, books, interviews, etc. to research), his math teachers encourage using a calculator when doing math (he has a hard time with multiplication and he's now in high school. I had to memorize multiplication tables.... and Algebra 2? No way was I allowed to use calculators without showing my work.)
    .... It's actually frustrating as a parent knowing that technology is "dumbing down" our kids.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    As a kid in the mid - '50's here in the mid-west, they had No Problem spraying the city streets for mosquitos with big trucks of chemicals with 8 sprayers each rolling down the streets 2 at a time. We didn't even stop playing and go inside when the trucks rolled by with their noxious gasses.....now I am 62 and have asthma.............hmm..........:grumble:
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You remember when anyone who was tattooed was in a circus side show, or had worked for the Navy and always stank of liquor.
  • buffer221
    buffer221 Posts: 4,751 Member
    Options
    When clothing trend is on its third cycle
  • Laac68
    Laac68 Posts: 55
    Options
    When you visit a museum and see something you used to use (rotary phone, game of Pong, typewriter).

My husband and I visited a few antique places and found toys that we use to have as kids. I couldn't remember whatever happened to my "Simon" electronic game.
  • Laac68
    Laac68 Posts: 55
    Options
    you walk in a room to get something then forget what you went to get.

LOL...I have done this many of times and also whenever I go to call someone and forget whom I was going to call.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    When the idea of having to produce your ID is HILARIOUS

When you are at least two generations removed from the current wave of kid toy nostalgia

When you recognize that generational nostalgia occurs in waves & that yours isn't special

When you have zero, zero frame of reference for youth lingo

When you think anyone under 25 looks like an actual baby

When you see individuality in the faces of the very old, and can easily imagine what they looked like as younger people, even children. When I was a teen, honestly, all people over 68 sort of looked the same to me

When you no longer care about winning a damn thing, or proving a damn thing, to anyone but yourself

When you find it is much harder than it once was to come down hard, black or white, on a moral issue, because you can see most sides
  • janinab75
    janinab75 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    When I just had my 20th high school reunion.
    When people I work with don't know who Molly Ringwald is.
    When people I work with don't know who The Grateful Dead is.
    When I got my first email address in my second year in college and the World Wide Web wasn't being used yet.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    When the idea of having to produce your ID is HILARIOUS

When the idea of having to produce your ID is the highlight of your day. Which is the reason why you need to order a drink at Hartsfield International Airport (at least at TGIFridays). Everyone gets carded no matter what age. Haven't felt that young in years. lol
  • leebesstoad
    Options
    When you've had your email address so long it is only your first and last name @yahoo.com. And it is a very common first and last name.(
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    when you pee jumping rope!!!
  • leebesstoad
    Options
    when you pee jumping rope!!!

When sleeping through the night without having to get up to pee is a miracle of biblical proportion. lol
  • leebesstoad
    Options
    You remember standing in line with everyone in your community to get the polio vaccine as soon as it was available. And you remember the fear in your parent's faces before the vaccine was discovered when talking about polio. And the iron lung.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    When I just had my 20th high school reunion.
    When people I work with don't know who Molly Ringwald is.
    When people I work with don't know who The Grateful Dead is.
    When I got my first email address in my second year in college and the World Wide Web wasn't being used yet.
    When you can remember that Molly Ringwald on the cover of Time magazine was a big deal.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    You remember standing in line with everyone in your community to get the polio vaccine as soon as it was available. And you remember the fear in your parent's faces before the vaccine was discovered when talking about polio. And the iron lung.

Hey, surely some thing other than war & disease presented itself to you in your youth? What about fake cigarettes for kids? Pet rocks? Something?
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    When you get all nostalgic as you read the things people remember in the "You know you're old when..." topic. Amazing stuff, here!