You know you're old when...

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You check out a "You know you're old when" post and a number of the people responding are younger than your youngest child.
  • jpeoples1177
    jpeoples1177 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    ...you think twenty-somethings on MFP look like kids.

...you see the preview for a remake of a movie you saw as a kid.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    You remember when CDs first came out
    You remember when 8-tracks were around
    You remember when the options for buying those music albums on the t.v. commercials were "L.P record, and now introducing cassette tape".

You remember when phones had to be attached to modems. And I don't mean dial up internet …

You remember where you were and what you were doing when the Challenger disaster hit the news.

You remember two different knobs on the t.v., one for UHF and one for VHF (and you remember knobs on the t.v.)

Music you grew up with is on the "oldies" station (I know it's been done already)

You realize that the trig student you're tutoring wasn't even born when you took trig.

You find the "over the hill" birthday card you made for your mom and realize, you're almost to that age yourself! (SHe saves EVERYTHING, lol)

You detest Power Rangers because it's a take-off on the cartoon you loved growing up … and then realize you first expressed that sentiment two decades ago! :noway:

You watch that old cartoon and realize it was almost as hokey as Power RAngers.

Does use of the word "hokey" qualify?

The decade when you went to elementary school has become a Halloween costume. So has the decade from when you graduated High school.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    when kids think the Karate Kid and Annie are black.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    A serious one: You know you're old when you remember listening to the Selective Service draft lottery on the radio to find out where you birthday was chosen to know if you might be called up for service to go to Vietnam. To find out if you or your friends might die.

Yeah, my high school BF went off to Vietnam and insisted we get engaged before he left, just in case he didn't come back. He now admits it was so that I wouldn't date in college.
    He stood there crying when we visited the Vietnam War memorial.... too many names on there that were his friends, who never came home.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    deleted
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    One more:

You played on a playground and the whole thing was cement even under the swings.

Yes! And if you burnt your butt on the hot slide it was just too bad.

Oh yeah, and they actually had 2-storey high slides, because they were fun!
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    your TV had no remote control, satellite, or cable.

people actually came over to your house just for coffee and conversation unannounced. And you like that.

you were able to work on your own car.

Tab was a beverage, not a bar bill.

online was your clothing drying out in the backyard.

you argued over Ginger or Mary Anne.

your tablet was a Big Chief and a number 2 pencil.

you had a Craig 8-track and Jentzen speakers you installed yourself in your '67 Camaro... why did I sell that car???

you can't remember why you sold your Camaro... :laugh:
  • IronMikeFox
    IronMikeFox Posts: 458
    Options
    ... when you have coworkers that were born the year you graduated from college (or after).
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Your best friend is dating someone half their age and isn't breaking any laws
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    you can't drink all night and stay up untill it's light without feeling sick for 4 days after... :-(

Ugh, this is SO me!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Your best friend is dating someone half their age and isn't breaking any laws

lol
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    when you get a grey pube

omfg! hell NO!? tell me this is a joke, this doesn't really happen does it? OMFreakingG , sofreaking out now, just wtf eww! LOL I will be an old bald eagle then if this is the case, not going grey there or anywhere!!!!!!:sad:
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You remember when there was no TV after 2 a.m. (Or was it 1?)

You remember that just before sign off there was a public announcement about "Aliens" and you thought they were talking about Martians, not illegal immigrants.

You remember when CBS used "The Syncopated Clock" as the theme for "The Late Show," which featured a movie.

You remember when Channel 9 featured "Millionaire Movie" and used the theme from "Gone With The Wind," except it took you years to recognize it as such.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    He stood there crying when we visited the Vietnam War memorial.... too many names on there that were his friends, who never came home.
    ^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    A serious one: You know you're old when you remember listening to the Selective Service draft lottery on the radio to find out where you birthday was chosen to know if you might be called up for service to go to Vietnam. To find out if you or your friends might die.

Yeah, my high school BF went off to Vietnam and insisted we get engaged before he left, just in case he didn't come back. He now admits it was so that I wouldn't date in college.

I remember seeing scrolls of names in black and white every day on the TV news, although I was too young understand them.
  • VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    When you are shopping for shoes with your husband and the salesgirl helping you compares him to her Dad.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    When NKOTB return for their 5th reunion tour, and still won't stay gone:(
  • fernandesg
    fernandesg Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Good God, where to start........

1) You can remember every word to a one-hit wonder's song from the 80's that you haven't heard in years, but remembering where the car keys are or where you left the phone is damn-near impossible :grumble:

2) My daughter found the corded phone I keep around in case of a power outage, and she was utterly baffled as to how that could work while attached to the wall.

3) All my favorite Fisher Price toys from when I was a preschooler have been re-released as classics

4) The lego that I handed down to my kids has started to crack and break :sad:

5) You don't bother to shave your legs as often, even in shorts weather, because you honestly really don't care what people think anyway. I'm old, deal with it! :laugh:

Wait... hold the phone... Legos crack and break?! That right there is baffling to me.

I live in Calgary Canada - we're about as dry as Las Vegas, just without the heat. Everything here dries out (Although you 'd never know it this year from all the severe flooding we've had this year :sad:

Edited to add quote that I missed......
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I am only 27 but I realised that I am old when the radio station I've been listening to for years played a song that made me say out loud 'wtf is that *kitten*?' and I had to turn it off. It was some really, really, exceptionally stupid 'song' that just kept repeating 'bubble butt' over and over again. O_O The feck?

So yeah, I am old now.

HAHAHA..i started doing that at 24. We're the same age. Bring back Sugarcult , and Three days grace please.