You know you're old when...

Options

Replies

• leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    A serious one: You know you're old when you remember listening to the Selective Service draft lottery on the radio to find out where you birthday was chosen to know if you might be called up for service to go to Vietnam. To find out if you or your friends might die.

I was number 182! That translated as "pack your bags" at the time.

I was 4F due to congenital arthritis. I got 332. My friends who were all 1A got in the teens to low 30's. And they stopped calling people up a month or two afterwards. It saved at least one of their lives, I know that for certain. We remember.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    The kids you taught swimming lessons are now lifeguards at your pool.

The kids you baby sat are all graduated or close to graduating within the next 2 years.

You talk about a trip you took in highschool overseas and realize it was 13 years ago.

You open the front door and tell the neighborhood kids to get off your lawn, or you yell "Slow the eff down" to the *kitten* that is speeding down your street.

You call the cops because your neighbors are lighting fireworks at 2am and you have to get up at 5 for work.
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    when you laugh at all these kids saying they are 90s kids because they were born mid 90s.... no kids your a true 90's kid if you were born at the end of the 80s !
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    When you realize you've been out of highschool for four years.hollly efff.

Haha try 6 and all the people I work with have just finished..... feeling rather old

13.5 for me.. .I graduated 6 months earlier than the rest of my class. i still don't believe its been that long.
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    You're still checking your Beatles albums to prove conclusively that Paul McCartney is dead !!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Good God, where to start........

1) You can remember every word to a one-hit wonder's song from the 80's that you haven't heard in years, but remembering where the car keys are or where you left the phone is damn-near impossible :grumble:

2) My daughter found the corded phone I keep around in case of a power outage, and she was utterly baffled as to how that could work while attached to the wall.

3) All my favorite Fisher Price toys from when I was a preschooler have been re-released as classics

4) The lego that I handed down to my kids has started to crack and break :sad:

5) You don't bother to shave your legs as often, even in shorts weather, because you honestly really don't care what people think anyway. I'm old, deal with it! :laugh:

Wait... hold the phone... Legos crack and break?! That right there is baffling to me.
  • CherryDarling21
    Options
    I wouldn't say I am old but for me it's knowing I was around when Germany still had the Deutsch Mark (Grew up in Germany!)

When 2 Marks equalled to £1! Aha.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    you get excited that you go poop without the fiber supplement.

you realize it now takes you all night to do what you used to could do all night.

being 50 is not old anymore.

you get out of bed in the morning and it sounds like a Latin percussion band.

counting your blessings takes a long time :flowerforyou:
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    The kids you used to babysit are married with kids of their own.

And my oldest turns 21 in a couple of months...how did that happen??
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    when you get a grey pube
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    When Sally Draper is only a few years older than you are.

When Don Draper is only a few years older than your father.

When Joan is your mother's age.
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    When the beach at the furniture store asks me if I'm expecting my first "grandbaby" ( very southern phrase). I was 32 and expecting my first child and I wanted to punch her in the head. : )
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options

Haha try 6 and all the people I work with have just finished..... feeling rather old

Four years out of high school?? Holy Eff indeed! I graduated from COLLEGE in 1971!!!!
  • belle_of_the_bar
    Options
    when you get a grey pube

Haha... Yeah, that sucks.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    You remember products like Ipana, and Maypo.

You remember when Pringle's were introduced.

You remember being able to talk your parents into getting a quart of chocolate milk from the milkman.

You drank Tang because that is what the astronauts drank.

You watched the space launches in schools because they were such historic events.

You practiced duck and cover under your desk at school.

You could ride your bike home from school for lunch which your Mom would fix for you.

You knew that any parent in the neighborhood had permission to discipline you and you would get it when you got home as well. That went for all kids. For blocks around your house. And every kid and every parent knew each other for blocks around.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options

Four years out of high school?? Holy Eff indeed! I graduated from COLLEGE in 1971!!!!

THANK YOU!!! 6 years really. I got drawers older than that!!
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    When the kid you babysat for got married and has his own baby (now 2yo)

When you get out of bed and hear snap, crackle, pop before you add milk to the Rice Krispies

When your daughters friend looks at an actress that is the same age you are and says "she is really old" (yes she really did say this about Demi Moore right in front of me)
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    One more:

You played on a playground and the whole thing was cement even under the swings.
  • belle_of_the_bar
    Options
    One more:

You played on a playground and the whole thing was cement even under the swings.

Yes! And if you burnt your butt on the hot slide it was just too bad.
  • kellyhdent
    kellyhdent Posts: 46
    Options
    When you have to check a different box for your age. Gets me every time.