Different words for the same things depending on which country you're in.

Options

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Did we talk about this already ...

icing vs frosting

I grew up calling the sweet stuff on top of cakes "icing". And it is really sweet.

Here in Australia, most cakes don't seem to be topped with icing. They're topped with a kind of sticky cream. However, if there is actually a sweet topping, I think Australians call it "icing" too. But I could be mistaken.

From what I understand, Americans call it "frosting".

No, it depends where in the US you are. It was one of the "what regional dialect do you have" quiz (US specific) that was posted upthread. I use them interchangeably, but probably frosting more. Icing sounds perfectly normal and standard American English to me too, though.

I agree but I'm the opposite. I always say icing but don't flinch when someone else says frosting.

You should take the short version of the US dialect quiz and post your results like I did. I want to see what others get!

Looks like I'm pretty mainstream. lol
    https://nyti.ms/2jR0Z7i

I do wish it would let you choose more than one answer for some of them. I say both "you guys" and "y'all."
    I also say "crawdad" if I find one in the creek but will say "crawfish" at a seafood restaurant and "crayfish" on an aquarium forum.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

icing vs frosting

I grew up calling the sweet stuff on top of cakes "icing". And it is really sweet.

Here in Australia, most cakes don't seem to be topped with icing. They're topped with a kind of sticky cream. However, if there is actually a sweet topping, I think Australians call it "icing" too. But I could be mistaken.

No, it depends where in the US you are. It was one of the "what regional dialect do you have" quiz (US specific) that was posted upthread. I use them interchangeably, but probably frosting more. Icing sounds perfectly normal and standard American English to me too, though.

I agree but I'm the opposite. I always say icing but don't flinch when someone else says frosting.

You should take the short version of the US dialect quiz and post your results like I did. I want to see what others get!

I got NY, Boston and Yonkers... Spot on

https://nyti.ms/2kk4lwo
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options

This seems very accurate. It pegged my dialect as closest to Washington, D.C. I grew up about a mile outside of the city. Now I live in southern WV and there are many differences in what I call things versus what locals call them.

I say / they say

cart/buggy
    soda/pop
    you guys/y'all
    going to/fixin' to
    dinner/supper
    crawfish/crawdads

I was visiting a cousin in northern Ohio and encountered some confusion on a restaurant menu over "hot sauce" being listed as a side. I was trying to figure out why a condiment was counting as one of your side dishes. Turns out it's a dish consisting of spicy rice and tomatoes.

WV is just starting to get some Tim Horton's but honestly I prefer Dunkin. I drink my body weight in dark roast iced coffee there daily. I don't know about the donuts because I'm gluten free. My husband prefers Krispy Kreme when the light is on and they are fresh.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

icing vs frosting

I do wish it would let you choose more than one answer for some of them. I say both "you guys" and "y'all."
    I also say "crawdad" if I find one in the creek but will say "crawfish" at a seafood restaurant and "crayfish" on an aquarium forum.

I say "you" and "you all" and (rarely) "you guys," but never "y'all." Mostly just "you," though. And it's a crawfish.

Mine was right too -- basically the stripe just above (er, to the north!) ;-) of yours.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

icing vs frosting

I say "you" and "you all" and (rarely) "you guys," but never "y'all." Mostly just "you," though. And it's a crawfish.

Mine was right too -- basically the stripe just above (er, to the north!) ;-) of yours.

Yeah, mine makes sense in that it's the most red in Kentucky with just a little bit of overlap with the southern Ohio border. I live just north of Cincinnati (still within the red zone) but both sides of my family are from Kentucky (my grandparents were among a large host of people who moved from Kentucky to Southern Ohio in the 60's and 70's to find work).
  • lemurcat12
    Options

icing vs frosting

Yeah, mine makes sense in that it's the most red in Kentucky with just a little bit of overlap with the southern Ohio border. I live just north of Cincinnati (still within the red zone) but both sides of my family are from Kentucky (my grandparents were among a large host of people who moved from Kentucky to Southern Ohio in the 60's and 70's to find work).

I've been in Chicago for ages (which is within the zone I scored in, and I talk pretty much like people around here who don't have a specific city accent -- the place it matched me closest with is Aurora, IL, which is a western semi-suburb (although embarrassingly associated with Wayne's World, of course). My family is partially from here and partially from Iowa and Nebraska, and I moved around a bunch as a kid, so it makes sense.
  • ninthnarnian
    ninthnarnian Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I think I stressed out the quiz lol

I was born in California (0-8 y/o)
    Grew up in New Mexico (south Central USA)
    And now I live in North Carolina (East coast)

Tried it twice and it timed out calculating.
    Lol will try again later.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I'm not sure how to post my results, but my results were spot on.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=2&

I did the quiz... I was able to answer the majority of them, except 2 that i had to use 'other' for. If i was American i would live in Newark/paterson, Yonkers/Jersey city. I was hoping for Los Angeles :lol: I've seen the real housewives of New Jersey, for the love of god, i do not want to resemble them! :worried:
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Maybe you are a Jersey shore type! (Ducks and runs away.)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Oh, have we covered thongs? People go out in their thongs all the time in Australia. People going out in their thongs in the USA are likely to get arrested.

• Christine_72
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Maybe you are a Jersey shore type! (Ducks and runs away.)

hrl3ksrpspv4.jpg

Oh my Gaaaaawwwwd! Like, you better like duck and run like far away brah :tongue: :tongue:
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Oh, have we covered thongs? People go out in their thongs all the time in Australia. People going out in their thongs in the USA are likely to get arrested.

Haha yes we have, and the bum/fanny translation too :smiley:

9wepxf3y2vt0.jpg

• lemurcat12
    Options

Weird thing is that we used to call the flip flops thongs when I was a kid. Now, no.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,982 Member
    Options

Weird thing is that we used to call the flip flops thongs when I was a kid. Now, no.

Well used to call them thongs too! I'm not sure when that changed. My Dad still calls flip flops " shower thongs".
  • shelleyrhoads
    shelleyrhoads Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Well used to call them thongs too! I'm not sure when that changed. My Dad still calls flip flops " shower thongs".

Yes this. we definitely show our age if we call flip flops thongs. Lol I remember when the only came in black with the rainbow strap. They were way more comfortable back then too.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,895 Member
    Options

Oddly enough, I apparently speak like someone from Florida.

I've been to Florida once.

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Poutine ... incidentally, not pronounced quite as 'brightly' as it looks. Even I don't get it right and I'm Canadian, but it is something more like 'poot-an', I think.

201473-poutine.jpg

Fish and Chips

55983c6c6b6ebb72637456f8_codandchips.png

I'm definitely from the south, because I was expecting white gravy. The kind you'd put on chicken fried steak. Which has no chicken and isn't even fried like chicken, it's fried like steak, dipped in milk and eggs and flour and served with white gravy. I'm not sure if I think that poutine looks good or not, but I would try it

I'm watching an American cooking/food program - they've just made chicken fried steak with white "gravy". The way they made the gravy was how I'd make what we call Bechamel Sauce...

I have had brown gravy, but it has always been called brown gravy. If it is just gravy then it is always white. Sometimes white gravy is called country gravy. Chicken fried steak with gravy is the best meal I make and it is good. I rarely make it though (even before counting calories). It is very messy and I hate frying stuff.

If I ever go somewhere that has Bechamel sauce I now know I will like it. This really has been a fun and interesting thread.

If its white I wouldn't consider it gravy. Seems like some kind of sauce.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    It took me a while to realise that US 'broil' means 'grill' too.

I'm not so sure about this. Grill is flame on the bottom; broil is flame on the top.
  • kayemme
    Options

we have scones in aus (and UK) - i'm sure they're biscuits in the US

scones here (US) are basically rich biscuits. Biscuits in general are lean in the US (well, as lean as the US can imagine it, so I suppose it's relative), but scones are more like a thick, dense, not-as-sweet cookie.
  • kayemme
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    In eastern Canada we put our milk in bags.

the_future_of_dairy_milk_in_a_bag.jpg

omgosh, that's so strange!