Different words for the same things depending on which country you're in.

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I just saw this comment on another thread. "I am gonna root for you!: Translated this would mean "I'm going to have sex for you" lol
    It reminded of a film i wanted to see at the movies when i was a kid, my mum would not let me see it, because the word "rooting" was in the captions. I'm pretty sure it was used in the American way, but she automatically assumed it was a film all about sex :worried:
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I also had to google what Kosher means.. I see this on here and on a lot of American cooking shows, particularly Kosher salt, and i'm still not 100% clear what it means.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    The Mille Feuille is, I think, what I've always called a "Napoleon" (and they're normally labeled that way at the bakery).

The long iced sweet rolls look like something I'd call a "Long John", though Long Johns are not particularly crusty. They're a filled sweet roll, though - custard, pudding (in the US sense), very sweet fruit filling, or whipped cream, typically. I've seen bacon ones (yes, sweet/frosted)!

Timmy's does Long Johns here... they're very similar to my iced buns, although to me they don't taste quite the same, but I don't often see them with any kind of filling.

I serve/eat meals all the ways described in my own or people's homes. Dishes on the dining table is more common among a family eating together without guests, or a single-table event dinner (like Christmas) if there's room. Buffet style seems most common with larger groups, or if there are multiple dining table (like a kids' table). Plated service is less usual in people's home, though I've done it or seen it done - very "dinner party", mostly.

When I've visited my cousin's homes (in Canada) for events like Thanksgiving, they always serve the food buffet style in the kitchen and everyone helps themselves before sitting at the table, or wherever they find a spot, to eat. But they do have large gatherings, and they also both have big kitchens with plenty of counter space to allow for that!

I don't entertain and have a small kitchen, so whenever I serve a meal I dish it up (probably another British term!) in the kitchen and everyone collects their filled plates. My son usually eats supper at his computer anyway, unless we're having a larger meal where there might be extras on the table, so it makes more sense for me to put the food on the plate in advance. When we have something like tacos or fajitas then I'll set out bowls of fillings and toppings on the dining table and everyone can help themselves.

My parents would do the same thing, dish up the food in the kitchen and then take the plates to the table, where there might be a jug of gravy for us to help ourselves to. The only exceptions would be when we had a salad, and the bowls of different meats and veggies would be set out for everyone to take what they wanted.

Talking of kitchens - the style of houses here is very different to what we were used to. In particular the "great room" concept was very odd at first! We both grew up in houses where the kitchen, dining room and living room/family room were all separate, and the idea of having all three in one big space was strange. Some homes that I've visited have pretty much all of the ground floor (or is that "first floor"...? ;) ) as one big open-plan area with just a small washroom/toilet (called a "half bath") as a separate room.

Basements were another novelty... in the UK you might find a cellar in a very old house and they were usually cold and damp! A basement as an area to actually live in was another strange idea, and on our pre-emigration visit we spent a lot of time visiting show homes and exploring the whole thing, basement included! The amount of times that we had to explain to other viewers that basements were new to us... we were getting some very odd looks when people saw us coming out from looking around, because no one else was bothering to go down there! :)
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I also had to google what Kosher means.. I see this on here and on a lot of American cooking shows, particularly Kosher salt, and i'm still not 100% clear what it means.

All I know about it is that "Kosher" is a term for food prepared in a way that suits Jewish religious requirements, but "kosher salt" isn't necessarily the same thing. I read that it's just a kind of salt with larger grains that don't dissolve as easily, so it's often used for recipes where you want the salt to be kind of decorative. I could be mistaken though!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »

All I know about it is that "Kosher" is a term for food prepared in a way that suits Jewish religious requirements, but "kosher salt" isn't necessarily the same thing. I read that it's just a kind of salt with larger grains that don't dissolve as easily, so it's often used for recipes where you want the salt to be kind of decorative. I could be mistaken though!

Yeah, i knew it had something to do with Jewish people, but i couldn't work out how salt would be prepared in this way..
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Kosher means that someone who follows Jewish dietary laws can eat it. Kosher salt just is a particular kind of salt with larger grains that is better for cooking (IMO) than finer table salt. (I never buy the latter which annoyed my parents when they visited, since they could not understand why I didn't put salt on the table and only had the cooking salt.)

As for why the salt is called "kosher," here's a good explanation: http://www.thekitchn.com/kosher-salt-where-it-comes-from-why-its-called-kosher-ingredient-intelligence-219665
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    In Hawaii when you are "shooting the breeze" or talking to someone its called "talk story".
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    "SueSueDio wrote: »

(some interesting bits snipped from quote, for length)

Talking of kitchens - the style of houses here is very different to what we were used to. In particular the "great room" concept was very odd at first! We both grew up in houses where the kitchen, dining room and living room/family room were all separate, and the idea of having all three in one big space was strange. Some homes that I've visited have pretty much all of the ground floor (or is that "first floor"...? ;) ) as one big open-plan area with just a small washroom/toilet (called a "half bath") as a separate room.

This is a somewhat recent trend here in the US, as I perceive it, too. Speaking very loosely, I see a gradual progression from the separate living room, dining room, and kitchen of my youth, to a trend to add a breakfast area or family eating area in the kitchen (in addition to the separate formal dining room); to creating a "family room" that was sort of a casual family living area separate from the formal living room; to siting the family room & family eating area contiguous to (and at least partially open to) the kitchen and calling it a "great room". Some houses with a "great room" retain a separate family room or den because people want the TV or other louder activities separated from quieter ones.

The half bath often co-exists with a "master bath" that opens only to the master bedroom and often a full bath that opens onto a hallway and serves the other bedrooms. The half bath is something you can keep all uncluttered and tidy for guests, I think.

Seemingly, aspirational houses seem to just keep biggifying. I'd rather keep things smaller and easier to care for, cheaper to heat/cool, etc.
    Basements were another novelty... in the UK you might find a cellar in a very old house and they were usually cold and damp! A basement as an area to actually live in was another strange idea, and on our pre-emigration visit we spent a lot of time visiting show homes and exploring the whole thing, basement included! The amount of times that we had to explain to other viewers that basements were new to us... we were getting some very odd looks when people saw us coming out from looking around, because no one else was bothering to go down there!

Keep in mind that the UK housing stock's average age is probably much older than the US/Canada's. Our grandparents, in geographic areas that had basements, probably had either unfinished basements used for storage (coal, canned goods, produce, etc.) or for servants' quarters, depending on location & station. The widespread finished basement/living area thing also seems somewhat newer.

(edited to fix errors)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Something else ... something I've had to get used to when I moved to Australia ...

In Canada, when food is served, we put bowls on the table. A bowl of steamed veggies. A bowl of potatoes. A plate of meat. Or whatever is for dinner. Everyone sits down at the table and picks up the bowl closest to them, helps themselves to however much they want, and passes the bowl in the agreed upon direction. There's often discussion about which direction we're going. So there's a flurry of passing bowls and plates of food, and then the host asks if everyone has had a bit of everything. And we eat.

I'm in Canada and I've never see it done this way. Usually all of the bowls/plates of food are on a separate table, or usually the kitchen counter. Everyone makes their plate there and then takes it to the table, like at a buffet restaurant. Wouldn't having all of the bowls of food on the table make the table overcrowded and awkward? :/

We've done both ways, depends on how many people and how big the table is.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Something else ... something I've had to get used to when I moved to Australia ...

In Canada, when food is served, we put bowls on the table. A bowl of steamed veggies. A bowl of potatoes. A plate of meat. Or whatever is for dinner. Everyone sits down at the table and picks up the bowl closest to them, helps themselves to however much they want, and passes the bowl in the agreed upon direction. There's often discussion about which direction we're going. So there's a flurry of passing bowls and plates of food, and then the host asks if everyone has had a bit of everything. And we eat.

I'm in Canada and I've never see it done this way. Usually all of the bowls/plates of food are on a separate table, or usually the kitchen counter. Everyone makes their plate there and then takes it to the table, like at a buffet restaurant. Wouldn't having all of the bowls of food on the table make the table overcrowded and awkward? :/

We've done both ways, depends on how many people and how big the table is.

Yeah, just thinking about it now I remember a Christmas dinner at a relative's house when I was a kid, and all the food was on the table we were eating at, but they had a pretty large table.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    Did we talk about this already ...

icing vs frosting

I grew up calling the sweet stuff on top of cakes "icing". And it is really sweet.

Here in Australia, most cakes don't seem to be topped with icing. They're topped with a kind of sticky cream. However, if there is actually a sweet topping, I think Australians call it "icing" too. But I could be mistaken.

From what I understand, Americans call it "frosting".
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

icing vs frosting

I grew up calling the sweet stuff on top of cakes "icing". And it is really sweet.

Here in Australia, most cakes don't seem to be topped with icing. They're topped with a kind of sticky cream. However, if there is actually a sweet topping, I think Australians call it "icing" too. But I could be mistaken.

From an Australian perspective, I ice cakes, cupcakes, biscuits etc. Icing can be a thin, runny consistency that kind of runs over the Cake and sets a bit, or thick pipeable buttercream type icing (different varieties) . I sometimes use the word frosting for the thick stuff, but that might be something I've picked up from TV shows.
    There's also royal icing, and fondant (different to chocolate fondant which is the gooey centred, warm, cakey dessert), and ganache
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Just went for a picnic and took our Esky

Which I think Americans may call a "cooler", English people an "ice box", and a "chillybin" in new Zealand...
  • Machka9
    Options

icing vs frosting

From an Australian perspective, I ice cakes, cupcakes, biscuits etc. Icing can be a thin, runny consistency that kind of runs over the Cake and sets a bit, or thick pipeable buttercream type icing (different varieties) . I sometimes use the word frosting for the thick stuff, but that might be something I've picked up from TV shows.
    There's also royal icing, and fondant (different to chocolate fondant which is the gooey centred, warm, cakey dessert), and ganache

When I think of icing, I think of icing sugar with a blob of butter and a splash of milk all whipped together. Very, very, very sweet. :)
  • lemurcat12
    Options

icing vs frosting

No, it depends where in the US you are. It was one of the "what regional dialect do you have" quiz (US specific) that was posted upthread. I use them interchangeably, but probably frosting more. Icing sounds perfectly normal and standard American English to me too, though.
  • Machka9
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

icing vs frosting

No, it depends where in the US you are. It was one of the "what regional dialect do you have" quiz (US specific) that was posted upthread. I use them interchangeably, but probably frosting more. Icing sounds perfectly normal and standard American English to me too, though.

I missed that quiz!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

icing vs frosting

I agree but I'm the opposite. I always say icing but don't flinch when someone else says frosting.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

icing vs frosting

I agree but I'm the opposite. I always say icing but don't flinch when someone else says frosting.

You should take the short version of the US dialect quiz and post your results like I did. I want to see what others get!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,980 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how to post my results, but my results were spot on.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=2&