Different words for the same things depending on which country you're in.

Options

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Poutine ... incidentally, not pronounced quite as 'brightly' as it looks. Even I don't get it right and I'm Canadian, but it is something more like 'poot-an', I think.

201473-poutine.jpg

Fish and Chips

55983c6c6b6ebb72637456f8_codandchips.png

Here in Quebec poutine is pronounced "poo-tsin" with poo pronounced like the pu in pull.
  • cerise_noir
    Options
    Australian plug and power socket

5krt5m9h9m0k.jpg

I miss these sockets! Plugs don't fall out!

Another thing to mention: Aussie power is 240v vs US/Canada is 120v.

I never seen an American plug just fall out for the record.

The house I'm in was built in the 40s and I find it is easy to knock plugs out of walls here (the 2 prong ones are), but yes, they need to be changed to 3 pronged outlets.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Another one is the Nanaimo Bar ... a staple in my diet when I lived in Canada. I've been known to eat them by the pan full.
    [...]
    And speaking of Caramel Slices, in Scotland, those are called Millionaire Bars and the Scottish makers of Millionaire Bars have got it. They know how to make the things. In fact Millionaire Bars are almost tied with Nanaimo Bars on my list of greatest slices and bars.

I looked up "millionaire bars" and, as I suspected, they're the same as what I've always called "millionaire's shortbread". Tasty! :)

I love Nanaimo bars too, although I haven't had one since I started with MFP and have no clue how many calories would be in one! I've also never tried making my own, although that might be worth looking into!

One of my favourite 'bars', if you can call it that (it's really a pastry), was the good old "cream slice" which also goes by the fancy name of mille-feuille. Impossible to eat without all the cream squidging out the sides so of course you had to lick that off... ;) Haven't had one of those for years either, although one of our supermarkets here does a fairly good one!

y21tjvvmfs3v.jpg

I'm pretty sure I'm more obsessed with food these days than I ever was before I started counting calories...
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I love mille feuille!! I make those at my job all the time!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm curious how much you guys pay for phone and Internet plans across the pond.

Mine:

Phone- $40 per month for unlimited talk/text and 6GB

Internet- $70 per month for 200GB
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    Phone- Far too much for 4 lines, a Wi-Fi hotspot and a tablet ($300ish a month)

Internet is bundled with cable TV and home phone service and that's about $150 a month.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Oh i forgot about Cable (Foxtel), that's $60 a month for the basic channels + drama package . HBO/showcase/soho. I had to pay extra for the drama package, because and ironically and sneakily on their part, all my favourite shows are on those channels.

The Exorcist
    Lucifer
    Wentworth
    Nashville
    SVU
    Chicago PD
    The Affair
    Big little lies (cant wait for that one)

• Chef_Barbell
    Options
    Oh i forgot about Cable (Foxtel), that's $60 a month for the basic channels + drama package . HBO/showcase/soho. I had to pay extra for the drama package, because and ironically and sneakily on their part, all my favourite shows are on those channels.

The Exorcist
    Lucifer
    Wentworth
    Nashville
    SVU
    Chicago PD
    The Affair

I freaking LOVE Wentworth!!!
  • Christine_72
    Options

The Exorcist
    Lucifer
    Wentworth
    Nashville
    SVU
    Chicago PD
    The Affair

Me too! Are you up to date on the seasons over there? I don't want to wreck it if you havent seen the last episode of season 4 yet :sad:
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

The Exorcist
    Lucifer
    Wentworth
    Nashville
    SVU
    Chicago PD
    The Affair

Me too! Are you up to date on the seasons over there? I don't want to wreck it if you havent seen the last episode of season 4 yet :sad:

No we are still waiting for season 4 here in the states. I need to stream it online I can't wait for Netflix lol
  • Christine_72
    Options

The Exorcist
    Lucifer
    Wentworth
    Nashville
    SVU
    Chicago PD
    The Affair

No we are still waiting for season 4 here in the states. I need to stream it online I can't wait for Netflix lol

I'm still in total shock and denial over how season 4 ended. You'll know what i mean when you watch it...

• cerise_noir
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Another one is the Nanaimo Bar ... a staple in my diet when I lived in Canada. I've been known to eat them by the pan full.
    [...]
    And speaking of Caramel Slices, in Scotland, those are called Millionaire Bars and the Scottish makers of Millionaire Bars have got it. They know how to make the things. In fact Millionaire Bars are almost tied with Nanaimo Bars on my list of greatest slices and bars.

I looked up "millionaire bars" and, as I suspected, they're the same as what I've always called "millionaire's shortbread". Tasty! :)

I love Nanaimo bars too, although I haven't had one since I started with MFP and have no clue how many calories would be in one! I've also never tried making my own, although that might be worth looking into!

One of my favourite 'bars', if you can call it that (it's really a pastry), was the good old "cream slice" which also goes by the fancy name of mille-feuille. Impossible to eat without all the cream squidging out the sides so of course you had to lick that off... ;) Haven't had one of those for years either, although one of our supermarkets here does a fairly good one!

y21tjvvmfs3v.jpg

I'm pretty sure I'm more obsessed with food these days than I ever was before I started counting calories...

OMG....Mille Feuille! <3

I've made Nanaimo bars...they're pretty easy.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    [...]

y21tjvvmfs3v.jpg

OMG....Mille Feuille! <3

I've made Nanaimo bars...they're pretty easy.

You'll have to post a link to a recipe ... the recipes I've looked at appear complicated and time consuming.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    On the subject of cakes... this type of iced bun (if MFP will allow me to type it) is known as a "sticky willy"...

pf6svaf8gjza.jpg

And we also have this little gem... ;)

f61p8p2tq6j1.jpg

Okay, you can stop sniggering now...!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    In this recipe for Nanaimo bars (foodnetwork.ca/shows/great-canadian-cookbook/recipe/the-ultimate-nanaimo-bar/16810/), is "vanilla custard powder" the same as what I as a USAian would call "vanilla pudding mix", or something different?

P.S. This recipe looks pretty easy to me, but that may be because I'm an old person accustomed to a world where cooking/baking from scratch was something regular people did regularly. ;)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Huh. AFAIK, I've literally never seen this. Not saying we don't have it here, mind you.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    On the subject of cakes... this type of iced bun (if MFP will allow me to type it) is known as a "sticky willy"...

pf6svaf8gjza.jpg

f61p8p2tq6j1.jpg

I call the long buns with icing "finger buns". A sticky bun is similar, just round. Which is sometimes the same as a cinnamon scroll...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options

pf6svaf8gjza.jpg

f61p8p2tq6j1.jpg

The top ones look like hot dog buns which someone has iced.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Poutine ... incidentally, not pronounced quite as 'brightly' as it looks. Even I don't get it right and I'm Canadian, but it is something more like 'poot-an', I think.

201473-poutine.jpg

Fish and Chips

55983c6c6b6ebb72637456f8_codandchips.png

I'm definitely from the south, because I was expecting white gravy. The kind you'd put on chicken fried steak. Which has no chicken and isn't even fried like chicken, it's fried like steak, dipped in milk and eggs and flour and served with white gravy. I'm not sure if I think that poutine looks good or not, but I would try it

I'm watching an American cooking/food program - they've just made chicken fried steak with white "gravy". The way they made the gravy was how I'd make what we call Bechamel Sauce...