Different words for the same things depending on which country you're in.

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    And while we're on the topic of cheese, this is a grilled cheese sandwich. It is made by buttering one side of a piece of bread and placing it carefully onto a hot frying pan, butter side down. Then you place your cheese onto the bread, and top it with another piece of bread that is also buttered on the outside. When the bread touching the frying pan is a golden brown, you flip it. When that side is golden brown, you're done! Delicious!!

When I say that I want a grilled cheese sandwich, my Australian husband using that odd grill thing on the stove (like a top drawer), puts some cheese on bread and toasts it. That's OK ... but it is just not a grilled cheese sandwich.

6359402482192442931303048382_2014131-grilled-cheese.jpg
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    And while we're on the topic of cheese, this is a grilled cheese sandwich. It is made by buttering one side of a piece of bread and placing it carefully onto a hot frying pan, butter side down. Then you place your cheese onto the bread, and top it with another piece of bread that is also buttered on the outside. When the bread touching the frying pan is a golden brown, you flip it. When that side is golden brown, you're done! Delicious!!

When I say that I want a grilled cheese sandwich, my Australian husband using that odd grill thing on the stove (like a top drawer), puts some cheese on bread and toasts it. That's OK ... but it is just not a grilled cheese sandwich.

Your Australian husband is making you cheese on toast. Have you asked him for a toasted cheese sandwich? (I'd make that how you describe, or in a sandwich press... Same result!)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Now I want a grilled cheese...
  • Machka9
    Options

Your Australian husband is making you cheese on toast. Have you asked him for a toasted cheese sandwich? (I'd make that how you describe, or in a sandwich press... Same result!)

But the difference between a toasted cheese sandwich and a grilled cheese sandwich is the butter on the outside of the bread. Frying the butter on the outside of the bread makes it all crispy, and if you're lucky, the cheese will melt and drizzle out onto the frying pan just a little bit and it will fry too. :)

• Carlos_421
    Options
    I don't know what poutine is, but every time i see that word i think of a bum, or butt/fanny depending where you're from :lol:

Chips, with cheese curds and a gravy on top. It's a Canadian dish...we had some piping hot and fresh, so good (but bad at the same time) . Ive seen some poor replications in aus using cheddar cheese.

Chips as in French Fries for those in the US/Canada lol

In the US, chips come in a bag and are flavored with BBQ, Salt and Vinegar or Cheddar and Sour Cream. What is a "Fish n Chip Shop"? I assume that's a restaurant that specializes in making a fish fry that is sitting on top of french fries?

Long John Silvers bro.

A slew of casual American restaurants have Fish 'n Chips on the menu these days too.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

But the difference between a toasted cheese sandwich and a grilled cheese sandwich is the butter on the outside of the bread. Frying the butter on the outside of the bread makes it all crispy, and if you're lucky, the cheese will melt and drizzle out onto the frying pan just a little bit and it will fry too. :)

"toasted cheese sandwich with butter on the outside" - problem solved!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Oh the booze thing.. You can buy alcohol in tegular grocery stores in America/Canada right?

we call the booze shop a bottlo (bottle-o), short for bottle shop . Aussies have a knack of shortening words.

As others have said, it depends upon the state. In Arizona you can buy beer/wine and any/every type of hard liquor in grocery stores, but all alcohol sales are prohibited from 2:00 - 6:00 am (California's liquor laws are identical to that also). Most grocery stores offer a pretty extensive selection of liquors (vodka, whiskey, rum, tequila, gin, etc.). You can also buy beer/wine in many gas stations/"mini mart" convenience stores, but they don't always offer hard liquor.

Trivia sidenote: You can't legally buy Everclear (pure grain alcohol, 190 proof) in California, but you can in Arizona. California's upper limit for alcohol is 151 proof, so Everclear came out with a 151 version that's legal in California. In Googling it, there are 14 states which prohibit the sale of 190 proof Everclear, while the remaining 36 states allow it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    And this, which I never see here in Australia, is marble cheese - white and orange cheddar ...

marble-LOGO.jpg

That looks like what we call Colby-Jack cheese (or Cojack). It's a mixture of Colby Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Now I want a grilled cheese...

So do I! :grin:

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Oh the booze thing.. You can buy alcohol in regular grocery stores in America/Canada right?

we call the booze shop a bottlo (bottle-o), short for bottle shop . Aussies have a knack of shortening words.

I don't think you can buy booze in any grocery stores in Canada. I'm not sure about out eat.

I was surprised when some movie theatres started serving beers. Wasn't expecting that.

Drinking age... It's 18 in Alberta, Manitoba, and I think Quebec. In the other provinces it is 19.

Oh. Driver's licenses are at 16 in Alberta but you can get your learners permit at 14... This freaks me out since my 14 year old is only 5'2" and 90 lbs. LOL
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    There are cheese slices (the plastic-wrapped things) of course, but this is what cheddar cheese looks like in Canada ... perhaps even darker orange sometimes.

cheese_ceddar.jpg

And this, which I never see here in Australia, is marble cheese - white and orange cheddar ...

marble-LOGO.jpg
    We usually buy white cheddar cheese (Alberta, Canada) but I do see orange a lot, especially in convenience stores. I raerly see extra old cheddar that is orange so maybe that's it. We go for as strong a cheese as we can afford.
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    What is a "Fish n Chip Shop"?

Oh, you poor thing - you don't know what you're missing!

Walking into a proper British chippy is to be hit with one of the best smells in the world... :)

I think it's the same as a Fish Fry here.

• KeithWhiteJr
    Options
    I don't know what poutine is, but every time i see that word i think of a bum, or butt/fanny depending where you're from :lol:

Chips, with cheese curds and a gravy on top. It's a Canadian dish...we had some piping hot and fresh, so good (but bad at the same time) . Ive seen some poor replications in aus using cheddar cheese.

In the US, chips come in a bag and are flavored with BBQ, Salt and Vinegar or Cheddar and Sour Cream. What is a "Fish n Chip Shop"? I assume that's a restaurant that specializes in making a fish fry that is sitting on top of french fries?

You're in the Great Lakes area and you don't know what a fish and chips shop is?

Battered fish on top of or beside hot chips!

We call that a Fish Fry with a side of Fries here in Western NY. Never seen "Fish n Chips" on any menu anywhere
  • KeithWhiteJr
    Options
    Poutine ... incidentally, not pronounced quite as 'brightly' as it looks. Even I don't get it right and I'm Canadian, but it is something more like 'poot-an', I think.

201473-poutine.jpg

Fish and Chips

55983c6c6b6ebb72637456f8_codandchips.png

That's a Fish Fry! Very big on Friday nights around here. Everyone has a Friday Fish Fry special.
  • KeithWhiteJr
    Options

Long John Silvers bro.

A slew of casual American restaurants have Fish 'n Chips on the menu these days too.

No Long John Silvers here lol.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Poutine ... incidentally, not pronounced quite as 'brightly' as it looks. Even I don't get it right and I'm Canadian, but it is something more like 'poot-an', I think.

201473-poutine.jpg

Fish and Chips

That's a Fish Fry! Very big on Friday nights around here. Everyone has a Friday Fish Fry special.

Eh...a fish fry is an event (most popular during Lent). I wouldn't see a plate with fried fish and fries and call it a fish fry. I'd call it fish and fries or fish n' chips (even though I certainly don't call fries chips).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

You're in the Great Lakes area and you don't know what a fish and chips shop is?

Battered fish on top of or beside hot chips!

We call that a Fish Fry with a side of Fries here in Western NY. Never seen "Fish n Chips" on any menu anywhere

I have, since I was a little kid (in the '70s) and in lots of different states.

Here are some local recommendations for me: http://chicago.eater.com/maps/best-fish-and-chips-chicago-map

A fish fry is what we call the dinners my church hosts as a social thing on Fridays during Lent.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Long John Silvers bro.

No Long John Silvers here lol.

Captain D's??

Thought you lived in the Great Lakes region?
  • Machka9
    Options

201473-poutine.jpg

Fish and Chips

Eh...a fish fry is an event (most popular during Lent). I wouldn't see a plate with fried fish and fries and call it a fish fry. I'd call it fish and fries or fish n' chips (even though I certainly don't call fries chips).

Yes ... to me also, a fish fry is an event.