Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Different words for the same things depending on which country you're in.

1404142434446»

Replies

• KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    To get us back on track... :)

"Broiling" is something I was thinking about last night. It wasn't a word I was familiar with before emigrating, and due to the similarity with the word "boiling" I figured it meant the same thing. Good job I looked it up before I tried doing that with a recipe! Turns out that broiling is what I'd call grilling.

To me (a Brit), "grilling" is what you do under the grill of your oven, i.e. the top heating element, which is a broiler on this side of the Pond. Grilling to North Americans seems to refer almost exclusively to cooking on an outdoor grill (something they do even when it's below freezing in Canada!), which is what I'd refer to as "barbecuing".

To add to the confusion, a "grilled cheese sandwich" is not cooked under the grill/broiler (like a toasted cheese sandwich, which I used to make often in the UK), but is instead spread with butter on the outsides and cooked in a frying pan.

Which, by the way, is called a "skillet".

Argh!

Barbecue is a particular type of food. Slow cooked meat (either grilled (as in on a grill) or smoked) coated with (or dipped in) barbecue sauce. To barbecue is to prepare such food. Barbecuing can be a type of grilling but isn't always. Likewise, not all grilling is barbecuing (I.e. Burgers are not barbecue and thus they are grilled, not barbecued).

A barbecue can also be a gathering/party centered around preparing and eating barbecue. The same type of gathering which involves grilling non-barbecue food (burgers and hotdogs) is called grilling out.

I take BBQ very seriously.

And I use frying pan and skillet interchangeably.

Never used skillet for a frying pan. A paint skillet is the tin with paint and a wire handle to carry it.
    That's a bucket...

Machka9 wrote: »
    Poutine ... incidentally, not pronounced quite as 'brightly' as it looks. Even I don't get it right and I'm Canadian, but it is something more like 'poot-an', I think.

201473-poutine.jpg

Fish and Chips

55983c6c6b6ebb72637456f8_codandchips.png

That's a Fish Fry! Very big on Friday nights around here. Everyone has a Friday Fish Fry special.

Eh...a fish fry is an event (most popular during Lent). I wouldn't see a plate with fried fish and fries and call it a fish fry. I'd call it fish and fries or fish n' chips (even though I certainly don't call fries chips).

A fish Fry isn't usually an event here. Its usually a meal. It's battered and fried fish served with coleslaw and french fries, and sometimes a roll.

EDIT: Here is what Wikipedia says about it...

"In the United States, the dish is most commonly sold as "fish and chips", except in Upstate New York and Wisconsin and other parts of the Northeast and Upper Midwest, where this dish would be called a fish fry."

Upstate New York and Wisconsin are basically Canada junior so that explains it.
    I don't know what poutine is, but every time i see that word i think of a bum, or butt/fanny depending where you're from :lol:

Chips, with cheese curds and a gravy on top. It's a Canadian dish...we had some piping hot and fresh, so good (but bad at the same time) . Ive seen some poor replications in aus using cheddar cheese.

Chips as in French Fries for those in the US/Canada lol

In the US, chips come in a bag and are flavored with BBQ, Salt and Vinegar or Cheddar and Sour Cream. What is a "Fish n Chip Shop"? I assume that's a restaurant that specializes in making a fish fry that is sitting on top of french fries?

Long John Silvers bro.

A slew of casual American restaurants have Fish 'n Chips on the menu these days too.

No Long John Silvers here lol.

Captain D's??

Thought you lived in the Great Lakes region?

Never heard of Captain D's either lol.

I'm in the Great Lakes region. I live in Buffalo.

Aha. Yup. Canada.

HAHAHAHA! I guess we are little Canada up here. We also love hockey! ;)