Different words for the same things depending on which country you're in.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,967 Member
    edited January 2017
    I'm a Great Laker, but a veg, and even I understand what fish'n'chips is. We used to have Long John Silvers (out of business locally now AFAIK, though). Fish fry also make sense as an event name, e.g., "The Lions' Club is having a fish fry!" or "Saturday is fish fry night at the diner!", though the chips/fries part might be optional, not needed to justify the name. Wait, what am I saying? Fries come with everything here. Everything. With coleslaw as an optional alternate, mostly. ( ;) )
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    To get us back on track... :)

"Broiling" is something I was thinking about last night. It wasn't a word I was familiar with before emigrating, and due to the similarity with the word "boiling" I figured it meant the same thing. Good job I looked it up before I tried doing that with a recipe! Turns out that broiling is what I'd call grilling.

To me (a Brit), "grilling" is what you do under the grill of your oven, i.e. the top heating element, which is a broiler on this side of the Pond. Grilling to North Americans seems to refer almost exclusively to cooking on an outdoor grill (something they do even when it's below freezing in Canada!), which is what I'd refer to as "barbecuing".

To add to the confusion, a "grilled cheese sandwich" is not cooked under the grill/broiler (like a toasted cheese sandwich, which I used to make often in the UK), but is instead spread with butter on the outsides and cooked in a frying pan.

Which, by the way, is called a "skillet".

Argh!

Barbecue is a particular type of food. Slow cooked meat (either grilled (as in on a grill) or smoked) coated with (or dipped in) barbecue sauce. To barbecue is to prepare such food. Barbecuing can be a type of grilling but isn't always. Likewise, not all grilling is barbecuing (I.e. Burgers are not barbecue and thus they are grilled, not barbecued).

A barbecue can also be a gathering/party centered around preparing and eating barbecue. The same type of gathering which involves grilling non-barbecue food (burgers and hotdogs) is called grilling out.

I take BBQ very seriously.

And I use frying pan and skillet interchangeably.

Never used skillet for a frying pan. A paint skillet is the tin with paint and a wire handle to carry it.
  • TonyB0588
    I would be most pissed off if i asked for coke and they gave me a pepsi, or anything other than what i asked for, which is coke :smiley:

They actually taste a bit different although the same colour. (My apologies, I can't drop the u from that word like my American friends.)
  • TonyB0588
    I expect coke when I ask for coke too.... If someone gave me a Pepsi, they could have it back!

Not food... But is anyone a musician?
    UK/Australia vs USA note types

Quaver = eighth note
    Crotchet = quarter note
    Minim = half note
    Semibreve = whole note

Yes, that's very confusing when I hear it. I learnt quaver, crotchet, minim, semibreve.
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    edited January 2017
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Poutine ... incidentally, not pronounced quite as 'brightly' as it looks. Even I don't get it right and I'm Canadian, but it is something more like 'poot-an', I think.

201473-poutine.jpg

Fish and Chips

55983c6c6b6ebb72637456f8_codandchips.png

That's a Fish Fry! Very big on Friday nights around here. Everyone has a Friday Fish Fry special.

Eh...a fish fry is an event (most popular during Lent). I wouldn't see a plate with fried fish and fries and call it a fish fry. I'd call it fish and fries or fish n' chips (even though I certainly don't call fries chips).

A fish Fry isn't usually an event here. Its usually a meal. It's battered and fried fish served with coleslaw and french fries, and sometimes a roll.

EDIT: Here is what Wikipedia says about it...

"In the United States, the dish is most commonly sold as "fish and chips", except in Upstate New York and Wisconsin and other parts of the Northeast and Upper Midwest, where this dish would be called a fish fry."
  • KeithWhiteJr
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I don't know what poutine is, but every time i see that word i think of a bum, or butt/fanny depending where you're from :lol:

Chips, with cheese curds and a gravy on top. It's a Canadian dish...we had some piping hot and fresh, so good (but bad at the same time) . Ive seen some poor replications in aus using cheddar cheese.

Chips as in French Fries for those in the US/Canada lol

In the US, chips come in a bag and are flavored with BBQ, Salt and Vinegar or Cheddar and Sour Cream. What is a "Fish n Chip Shop"? I assume that's a restaurant that specializes in making a fish fry that is sitting on top of french fries?

Long John Silvers bro.

A slew of casual American restaurants have Fish 'n Chips on the menu these days too.

No Long John Silvers here lol.

Captain D's??

Thought you lived in the Great Lakes region?

Maybe he meant at the bottom of the Great Lakes? @KeithWhiteJr do you live in a pineapple, and your closest neighbour is a pink starfish?

6relf8g53aat.jpg
    SB.jpg 10.2K
  • KeithWhiteJr
    I don't know what poutine is, but every time i see that word i think of a bum, or butt/fanny depending where you're from :lol:

Chips, with cheese curds and a gravy on top. It's a Canadian dish...we had some piping hot and fresh, so good (but bad at the same time) . Ive seen some poor replications in aus using cheddar cheese.

In the US, chips come in a bag and are flavored with BBQ, Salt and Vinegar or Cheddar and Sour Cream. What is a "Fish n Chip Shop"? I assume that's a restaurant that specializes in making a fish fry that is sitting on top of french fries?

Long John Silvers bro.

A slew of casual American restaurants have Fish 'n Chips on the menu these days too.

Captain D's??

Never heard of Captain D's either lol.

I'm in the Great Lakes region. I live in Buffalo.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member

Long John Silvers bro.

Captain D's??

Here are some places that apparently have fish and chips ...

https://www.zomato.com/buffalo/restaurants/fish-and-chips
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2017
    Poutine ... incidentally, not pronounced quite as 'brightly' as it looks. Even I don't get it right and I'm Canadian, but it is something more like 'poot-an', I think.

201473-poutine.jpg

Fish and Chips

That's a Fish Fry! Very big on Friday nights around here. Everyone has a Friday Fish Fry special.

Eh...a fish fry is an event (most popular during Lent). I wouldn't see a plate with fried fish and fries and call it a fish fry. I'd call it fish and fries or fish n' chips (even though I certainly don't call fries chips).

A fish Fry isn't usually an event here. Its usually a meal. It's battered and fried fish served with coleslaw and french fries, and sometimes a roll.

"In the United States, the dish is most commonly sold as "fish and chips", except in Upstate New York and Wisconsin and other parts of the Northeast and Upper Midwest, where this dish would be called a fish fry."

Don't know about Upstate NY and I'd believe anything of Wisconsin (kidding, sort of), but I'm technically in the upper Midwest (Chicago), and a fish fry is always an event here, with the dish being fish & chips. That's what I recall of Michigan too (I went to school there).

Oh, on other matters, I call that pan a skillet, although I'd know what someone meant with "frying pan."
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    Another one is the Nanaimo Bar ... a staple in my diet when I lived in Canada. I've been known to eat them by the pan full.

But I have also heard them called New York Slice.

And here in Australia, the closest we get are Peppermint Slices or Caramel Slices, neither of which really captures the deliciousness of a Nanaimo Bar. OK, they don't even come close, but they kind of look like a flavoured Nanaimo Bar from a distance.

http://www.foodnetwork.ca/shows/great-canadian-cookbook/blog/history-of-nanaimo-bars/

And speaking of Caramel Slices, in Scotland, those are called Millionaire Bars and the Scottish makers of Millionaire Bars have got it. They know how to make the things. In fact Millionaire Bars are almost tied with Nanaimo Bars on my list of greatest slices and bars.

I just wish Australia would figure out how to make these things. What they do produce looks tempting in the display of the bakery ... but they're dry rocks in comparison with a Canadian Nanaimo Bar and a Scottish Millionaire Bar.

Well, maybe it's a good thing Australian baked goods are like that or I'd be tempted to eat a whole lot more of them! :grin:

• KeithWhiteJr

Long John Silvers bro.

Captain D's??

Here are some places that apparently have fish and chips ...

https://www.zomato.com/buffalo/restaurants/fish-and-chips

I have actually been to a couple of those places and their actual menus in the restaurant (or bar) say "Fish Fry" instead of "Fish and Chips".

I am really enjoying this thread btw. Its cool to learn how different slang can be from area to area. :)
  • Bin = trash can
    Rubbish = trash
    Bollocks = rubbish
    Chav = white trash
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    "Pooch" gets me every time I see it here.

To me a "pooch" is a dog! I'm pretty sure that what the people wanting to get rid of theirs are talking about is what I (UK based) might call a "paunch" or a muffin-top.
    I get what they're talking about but it still makes me smile every time I see it - just have images of a little dog stood next the person with that begging look on its face...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

To me a "pooch" is a dog! I'm pretty sure that what the people wanting to get rid of theirs are talking about is what I (UK based) might call a "paunch" or a muffin-top.
    I get what they're talking about but it still makes me smile every time I see it - just have images of a little dog stood next the person with that begging look on its face...

Haha, pooch sounds cuter than beer gut or food gut :lol:
  • TonyB0588

201473-poutine.jpg

Fish and Chips

Yes a Fish Fry is an event, Fried fish would be a dish.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Another one is the Nanaimo Bar ... a staple in my diet when I lived in Canada. I've been known to eat them by the pan full.

But I have also heard them called New York Slice.

And here in Australia, the closest we get are Peppermint Slices or Caramel Slices, neither of which really captures the deliciousness of a Nanaimo Bar. OK, they don't even come close, but they kind of look like a flavoured Nanaimo Bar from a distance.

http://www.foodnetwork.ca/shows/great-canadian-cookbook/blog/history-of-nanaimo-bars/

And speaking of Caramel Slices, in Scotland, those are called Millionaire Bars and the Scottish makers of Millionaire Bars have got it. They know how to make the things. In fact Millionaire Bars are almost tied with Nanaimo Bars on my list of greatest slices and bars.

I just wish Australia would figure out how to make these things. What they do produce looks tempting in the display of the bakery ... but they're dry rocks in comparison with a Canadian Nanaimo Bar and a Scottish Millionaire Bar.

Well, maybe it's a good thing Australian baked goods are like that or I'd be tempted to eat a whole lot more of them! :grin:

From looking up recipes, I can't think of a slice that is evenly remotely similar... Have you tried making them yourself?

The best caramel slice I've had probably came from my highschool canteen. Good caramel/chocolate ratio, and really delicious base.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I'll also just mention ... potato chips.

In Canada, my favourite flavour is dill pickle. In Australia, I cannot find dill pickle chips. In fact, dill pickles are hard to find ... it's all sweet pickles which are really quite ick.

In Australia, a common potato chip flavour is chicken. In fact, there's chicken salt that goes on chips (the big, thick fries type of chips), dim sims, deep fried lasagne, battered fish, and whatever else you want to get at the take-away.

So true.

And chicken chips are not easy to find in Canada. I also miss Burger Rings! I miss meat pies, too.

As for chicken chips (fries), I just sprinkle some powdered chicken stock on my fries instead of salt...YUM!!!

Chicken chips? Never heard of such a thing. Chicken? Hmmm. People want their chips to taste like chicken?!

Ketchup chips are a Canadian thing. I don't like them much.

Smarties are a Canadian candy that looks like chocolate M&Ms. Rockets are cheap sugar candies than are called smarties in the US.

It's called chicken salt. What it tastes like is when you've roasted a chicken in the oven and have done the whole butter and salt and herbs thing on the skin so that it is a crispy golden brown. Like that. Not so much like chicken but more like the seasoning you'd put on chicken.

Chicken salt is food of the gods. So tasty.

I think of Chicken Salt as being an Adelaide thing. As in when you get chips from the Chicken Shop (also an Adelaide thing) they will ask if you want chicken salt or regular salt. I haven't seen that anywhere else in Australia, but I guess i probably don't order chips much when I'm in Sydney or Melbourne or Brisbane. And not often at home in WA either.

I used to get chicken salt on my fries in Toowoomba and Stanthorpe! So good!
  • TonyB0588

Haha, pooch sounds cuter than beer gut or food gut :lol:

Hmm, growing up "pooch" was the bulge behind, not the bulge at the front. Now I can see the chance of embarrassment if this word was used in foreign company.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited January 2017
    Australian plug and power socket

5krt5m9h9m0k.jpg

I miss these sockets! Plugs don't fall out!

Another thing to mention: Aussie power is 240v vs US/Canada is 120v.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Australian plug and power socket

5krt5m9h9m0k.jpg

I miss these sockets! Plugs don't fall out!

Another thing to mention: Aussie power is 240v vs US/Canada is 120v.

I never seen an American plug just fall out for the record.