Everyday Healthy Habits - January challenge

newbie2143
newbie2143 Posts: 328 Member
(Starting up a few days early for those of us who want to get back on track NOW!!)

I have been most successful at losing weight by remaining accountable EVERY DAY for behaviours that I know support my health. This challenge sounds remarkably simple, but if you are like me, staying faithful to daily logging can become tricky after a few weeks...

The challenge:
1. Check in here every day in January (or earlier, if you like) to report on how you are doing with your Everyday Healthy Habit(s). Include your struggles and successes to help reflect on what is working and what is not working! Your "Everyday Healthy Habits" can be as simple as cutting and pasting from my example below, or better yet, come up with goals that fit to you: Reflect on your weight loss journey so far.... Has anything been sabotaging you? What needs to change (or what do you need to continue to do) in order to accomplish your goal? Are there other things you want to change to become a "healthier" you [regardless of weight loss goals]? Use this thought process to come up with your own Everyday Healthy Habits to be accountable for. (Examples include logging food intake, exercise, avoiding mindless eating, getting enough fluids, etc...)
2. Set a monthly weight loss goal and check in with the group weekly to report on how that is going.
3. Feel free to provide props and support to other board participants... The community that develops really help to keep the motivation going.

That's it! Sounds too easy, but it works! There is no registration for this board, and it's never too late to get started.... Just hop on in and introduce yourself! Let's all support each other to be healthier in 2017!

So I'll go first:

Date: December 29, 2016 (reporting for today)
Logged food intake: Yes, under calorie goal
Exercised: Yes, 30 min walk
Avoid unplanned PM snack (bad time for me for emotional eating): Yes
Practiced meditation (something I want to try for stress management): Yes

Current weight: 140
Goal weight for February 1: 133 (1.5lbs per week)

Current struggles: Coming off a week of complete holiday-fuelled dietary indiscretion... and trying not to beat myself up for it.

Current strengths: Determination. It's hard to get back on track, but I have done it before and know I can do it again! A thread like this helped me finally lose weight last year, after years of trying. Took a break over the summer/fall and I have kept most of it off, but I'm ready to get back to work to lose the rest down to my goal weight.

Replies

• candythorns
    candythorns Posts: 246 Member
    I'll try, 2016 was exceptionally hard for me (due to many poor choices I made) and getting healthy and active again is something I really need.

Date: December 29, 2016 (reporting for yesterday)
    Logged food intake: Doing it just now
    Exercised: Walked around the mall....
    Avoid unplanned PM snack: No, we are on holidays still and binge watched South Park and ate a bunch of crackers
    Practiced meditation (something I want to try for stress management): No

Current weight: 165
    Goal weight for February 1: 155

Current struggles: life really beat me up this year. Huge career change, settling into being 30, many other facets that were just not ok. Getting fat was literally of no concern to me. Drank way too much this year as well.

Current strengths: love, determination. If I keep going I'm ok, it's when I start to fall off the wagon I start to let go. I need to prevent my willpower from minimizing. Supporting others and being supported is something that reallllllly keeps me going. So I plan to check in daily.

Veggie goal: failed (this will mostly come into play on Jan 1st)
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,096 Member
    edited December 2016
    I'll join. I'm near goal and moving to maintenance, but still need to be accountable as I'm trying to make sure I adjust my intake goals and modify my macros. I also joined a 1000 miles in 2017 challenge, so I need to make sure I'm getting my mileage in. And I've been super bad about getting my planks done for another challenge, so I will now have two places to have to log it. Here's my input from yesterday of things that are important for me to track:

Date: 29 December 2016

Daily Devotions: Not done :(

Hit 100g Protein Daily: Missed - 81 grams
    Drink at Least 8 Cups of Pure Water: Missed - 7 cups

Workouts (M-F primarily):
    • Mileage (20 miles/wk): 2.52 miles stand up paddleboarding (Total Weekly Mileage: 11.43).
    • Strength Training (2-3 days/wk): no
    • Planks (M-F): no

Current Weight: 127.2 lbs
    Goal Weight (end of Jan): 125 lbs

Struggles: Struggling getting my planks done. Not been accountable with my morning devotions lately.
    Strengths: Went out and got some miles in despite the blustery weather yesterday.
  • newbie2143
    edited December 2016
    @candythorns , @b3achy - Welcome and nice to meet you both!
    candythorns - sounds like a rough year... But it also sounds like you are moving forward :smile: Focusing on your health will help you take on the rest!
    @b3achy - congrats on being near your goal weight! Hopefully logging in here will help you achieve your other healthy habits... Gosh I wish I could go SUPing - not too doable in winter in Canada, lol
  • newbie2143
    edited December 2016
    Date: December 30, 2016 (reporting for today)
    Exercised: Yes, 5k walk
    Avoid unplanned PM snack (bad time for me for emotional eating): No
    Practiced meditation (something I want to try for stress management): not yet - planning to do before bed.

Current strengths: Feeling like I am getting back on track and feeling better for it.
    Current struggles: Well, today I didn't do very well with the unplanned PM snack thing. I should have known better than to have been leafing through my new Jamie Oliver cookbook at a time of day I know I am susceptible to emotional eating.... Those delicious pictures set me off! Luckily, I was able to keep the portion small and stay on track with my daily calorie goal. I will keep on working on this goal tomorrow!
  • hbo2010
    hbo2010 Posts: 16 Member
    Count me in!

Date: December 30, 2016

Logged food intake: Yes, could have done better - my step count saved me!

Fruit or veg with every meal: ✖️✔✔

Exercised: No, but reached daily activity goal

Back exercise: ✖️

Avoid stress eating (main goal for 2017 due to upcoming move in August):✔

Avoid unplanned PM snack: no - too much xmas chocolate around

Practiced meditation (something I have to start doing in 2017):✖️

Current weight: 138
    Goal weight for February 1: 132

Current struggles: holiday get-togethers
  • b3achy
    Date: 30 December 2016

Daily Devotions: Devotional pages read, but not my Bible passages

Hit 100g Protein Daily: Missed - 66 grams
    Drink at Least 8 Cups of Pure Water: Done - 8 cups

• Mileage (20 miles/wk): 1.6 miles rowing machine (Total Weekly Mileage: 13.03).
    • Strength Training (2-3 days/wk): done today, 1 day
    • Planks (M-F): no

Start Weight (30 December 2016): 127.2 lbs
    Current Weight:

Struggles: Still struggling getting my planks done - I need a mental adjustment. I always put them at the bottom of the priorities.
    Strengths: Hit the gym today. Wanted to get more cardio done though, but work got in the way today.
  • newbie2143
    Welcome @hbo2010 ! I hear 'ya on the holiday get together problem.... I'm strategizing right now how to handle a New Year's Eve party tonight...
  • 120maggie
    120maggie Posts: 5,138 Member
    Good morning. I love the group name Everyday Healthy Habits. That is what it is all about. I know @b3achy from the Amazing Race challenges. January is an off month for us and I would like a challenge until we are back up and running! I am not the best about posting everyday because I sit at a computer at work all day. When I go home I want to do anything else!
    It has been a life long weight struggle for me -- the fat kid in grade school-- Finally, after years of yoyoing I have maintained a healthy weight for 7 years. Then in this last year of the Amazing Racing I am maintaining a desired weight. I am 5'2, Healthy weight is 125, Desired is 112. I was 111 this morning. My lowest point this summer during cycling season was 109.

Healthy habits:
    Log food daily in MFP
    Get up on weekdays at 4:30am, to get my workout in before work
    Mix up morning workouts with Zumba, General Aerobics, weight training
    Wear fitbit to remind myself to move at work. Goal is always at least 10,000 steps. 8,000 is acceptable M-F.
    Do 2 lunchtime mini workouts a week (close office door and do 20 minutes)
    Have a meal planned for dinner before I go to work.

Big struggle, I am all or nothing. I can be excellent when I am on track, but if I "fall of the wagon" it is a major binge. I need to work with moderation. During the holidays there was a time that I avoided all the good chocolate that was around at work, but then I felt deprived and went out and bought a bag of junk chocolate and ate the whole bag in the morning.

Tonight we don't have party plans so I want to just have at calorie goal day

• candythorns
    candythorns Posts: 246 Member
    Date: December 30, 2016 (reporting for yesterday)
    Logged food intake: Yes, and I went wayyyyy over. It's no wonder I have gained so much. Going to plan out my intake in advance as I'm going out tonight.
    Exercised: Walked the puppies, will walk to the bar for New Years to dance! And about to go for a walk by the lake. I also signed up for a boot camp and yoga which start in a couple weeks.
    Avoid unplanned PM snack: Yes

Current weight: 165
    Goal weight for February 1: 155

Current struggles: New Years tonight, liquor will be flowing

Current strengths: my appreciation for my health

• b3achy
    edited January 2017
    Blargh, super bad day for me...but it goes like that sometimes. It's a new day, new month, and new year! Time to buckle down and make some positive changes!

Date: 31 December 2016

Daily Devotions: Nope

Hit 100g Protein Daily: Missed - 58 grams
    Drink at Least 8 Cups of Pure Water: Missed - 4 cups

• Mileage (20 miles/wk): none (Total Weekly Mileage: 13.03).
    • Strength Training (2-3 days/wk): none; 1 day for the week
    • Planks (M-F): Yes! 10 minutes worth

Current Weight: 126.6

Struggles: Eating and water was super bad today. Also no devotions. I get really distracted on Saturdays, and lose track of time especially in the mornings faffing off and not doing much of anything. Also was crashing to get some work hours in today, since I'm way under delivering on my projects right now.
    Strengths: Got some planks done today. Wanted to do more, but distractions. Also was hoping to work in some cardio, but the day got away from me. On a good note, I weighed in light this morning/early afternoon! Didn't lose anything in Dec, but didn't gain either...that's a win in my books given the holidays.
  • ShaleSelkies
    ShaleSelkies Posts: 251 Member
    Date: December 31st, 2016
    Exercised: Yes, 50 min yoga
    Avoid unplanned PM snack: No
    Practiced Yoga: Yes
    Did stretches: Yes
    Met personal iron goal: No

Current weight: 132
    Goal weight for February 1: 128 (1lbs per week)

Current struggles: Struggling not to get too beat up by depression but having some additional problems due to missing spending new years in Belgium with family having now spent two alone. Not a bad decision, but being states away from the only Belgian in this country I know missing the culture in this time of year especially is making me crave the foods which in this case would not be good.

Current strengths: Managed to take things in small and measures steps to actually get out of bed and do some things today including story planning and exercise. Wanted to get some walking in but didn't have the time or especially energy even after the exercise I did manage to do.
  • newbie2143
    edited January 2017
    Happy New Year everyone!
  • newbie2143
    edited January 2017
    Weird. Having problems posting more than 1 sentence.
  • newbie2143
    edited January 2017
    Gah! It keeps posting only the first sentence of what I want to post.... Sorry to spam the feed... I can't figure out how to delete posts.
  • newbie2143
    edited January 2017
    OK, going to try one more time to see if my full post shows up. Apparently you can't delete posts.
    So happy New Year to everyone, and welcome to the group @120maggie and @ShaleSelkies !

It is January 1 and the challenge is officially ON! I don't normally weigh-in more than 1x/week, but since it is the start of the month I did reweigh today and added another line in my reporting for a weekly weight goal. I find seeing the weight drop off as planned is motivating, so please do the same if you think you will find it helpful.

How did everyone do with managing their goals on New Year's Eve? I did my best, but fell short of my calorie goal a bit. Going to refocus my efforts today.

Date: January 1, 2017 (reporting for yesterday)
    Logged food intake: Yes, missed calorie goal by 100-200 calories
    Exercised: Yes, 6.7k run, 20 min cool down yoga
    Avoid unplanned PM snack (bad time for me for emotional eating): No
    Practiced meditation (something I want to try for stress management): Yes

Current weight (Jan.1): 139.5
    Goal weight Jan.8: 138
    Goal weight for February 1: 133 (1.5lbs per week)

Current struggles: The main struggle yesterday was definitely dealing with a party in the evening where I knew a lot of food would be available. I did a few things to be ready: exercised a bit more than normal, ate a good meal beforehand, planned to stick to mostly fruit/veg off the buffet, which I did, but I also had a few of the other treats which put me over. Looking back over my last few reports, obviously another struggle is avoiding unplanned PM snacks. So I am going to work on a solution today: I am going to get rid of all the tempting Christmas goodie leftovers, and I am going to plan to be out (away from the kitchen!) this afternoon.

Current strengths: Super happy I got out for a run yesterday. I finished off a 10K program in early December and just stopped running... For no good reason. Probably it became the lowest priority in a busy month. As it happens, the longer you don't do something, the harder it is to get started again, so glad I bit the bullet and got back out there! (feeling it today though, lol)
  • 120maggie
    120maggie Posts: 5,138 Member
    110.8 At goal
    Log food daily in MFP At or below calories
    Get up on weekdays at 4:30am, to get my workout in before work NewYears Sunday so got up very late and I wasn't in the mood, but I rallied and did 50 minutes of a Aerobic DVD, planks and then stretching.
    Mix up morning workouts with Zumba, General Aerobics, weight training
    Wear fitbit to remind myself to move at work. Goal is always at least 10,000 steps. 8,000 is acceptable M-F. Just checked at 7700, need to move a little more before bed :D

Have a meal planned for dinner before I go to work. Wrote out dinner plans for the week.

Today was a pretty even keel day. Good to have them every once in a while !!
  • b3achy
    Date: 1 January 2017 -- HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Daily Devotions: Attended Church

Hit 100g Protein Daily: Done - 113 g Protein
    Drink at Least 8 Cups of Pure Water: Done - 9 cups
    Dry January: 1 of 31 days done

• Mileage (20 miles/wk): 3.7 miles SUP (Total Weekly Mileage: 3.7 miles)
    • Strength Training (2-3 days/wk): none today
    • Planks (M-F): rest day

Current Weight: 126.6

Struggles: I think getting my 100 g of Protein is going to be a big challenge for me. I feel like I ate a ton, and not enough fruits/veggies today.
    Strengths: Water done! Workout miles done! Attended church in lieu of personal devotions. Protein done! Bumped up my calorie goal for the month today to move to maintenance - amazing what an extra 100 calories does for your attitude.
  • ShaleSelkies
    ShaleSelkies Posts: 251 Member
    edited January 2017
    Date: January 1st, 2016
    Exercised: Yes. 73 min walking (slow), 12 min walking (leisurely), 60 min Yoga
    Avoid unplanned PM snack: Yes
    Practiced Yoga: Yes
    Did stretches: Yes
    Met personal iron goal: Yes

Current weight: 132 (going to reweigh tomorrow)
    Goal weight for February 1: 128 (1lbs per week)

Current struggles: I'm having trouble staggering my calories throughout the day as opposed to eating them all at once given the number I have to work with. After having walked for a while my throat issues started acting up a little too so I might need to spread things out a little more to prevent that.

Current strengths: I'm starting to use exercise more as a time to think about my stories and getting better at not just zoning out while doing so so I'm feeling more productive while doing so and exercised more today as a result.

Happy new year to you too!
  • hbo2010
    hbo2010 Posts: 16 Member
    Back-postig

Date: December 31, 2016

Logged food intake: not too bad for New years Eve but got talked into sharing cake - again, my step count saved me!

Fruit or veg with every meal: ✔✔✔

Exercised: walk through town, reached daily activity goal

Avoid unplanned PM snack: ✔

Another thing to work on: don't get "guilted" into eating more than i want

Current struggles: holiday get-togethers - that should resolve itself but did not do too badly on New Years Eve

Date: January 1,2017

Logged food intake: ✔- not too bad

Fruit or veg with every meal: ✔✔✔

Exercised: reached daily activity goal, but still no extra exercise (planning on gym for January 4th, when all visitors have departed)

Do better in social situations: ✖️

Avoid unplanned PM snack: no - too much xmas chocolate around

Current weight: 138

Current struggles: holiday get-togethers
  • newbie2143
    edited January 2017
    Well done everyone! Looks like we all did not too badly over New Year's! I have learned that even if you go way off track, there is always a new day around the corner just waiting for you to get back on track :)