How often do you weight yourself??

Options

Replies

• AJinBirmingham
    Options
    Since weight can fluctuate by 1-5lbs in a single day, and most weight loss targets are .5-2lbs/week - weekly weigh ins don't make sense to me, although experts disagree.

I weigh myself every day and I record it every day. Although I've been maintaining for years, my weight still goes up and down almost daily - if it approaches 130lbs, I eat less and watch the salty/processed stuff, if it gets too close to 125lbs, I eat a little more.
  • patriciaberthiaume5
    patriciaberthiaume5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Every Friday morning after my shower.
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I weigh almost daily but don't get too concerned if I see it fluctuate a bit. I log the weight once a week or so. Since I weigh more often I have a better idea if I am trending up or down over time. Works for me! If I only weighed myself once a week and was carrying water weight I would be very discouraged, whereas this helps give me a balanced look :)

Also I always weigh first thing in the morning, naked. I am sure the tshirt adds so much weight ;) but it is mental! haha
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Every morning, if I'm at home.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Weigh myself every day and log my weight after each loss. If the scale fluctuates up, I'll wait about 3 days to see if it's from water and what not. If the weight is still higher than my last log, I will log the gain.

This for me too!
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Every day - but I know it's goes all over the place sometimes and don't sweat it. Sometimes I can mysteriously gain two and a half pounds overnight. It's just part of the game. As long as I can bring up a monthly graph and show a downward trend, I'm happy. I got an Aria scale that automatically logs it in to my fitbit account which then logs it into MFP . I figure that helps create accountability for me. There's no more, "Well, I somehow went up two pounds, I just won't log weight today."

how is that scale holding up? I went through a few before I found the one I have now, but have been looking for a more connected device.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    daily all my life....there are worse addictions
  • Shes1CraftyMama
    Shes1CraftyMama Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I personally weigh daily, sometimes multiple times a day. Just out of curiosity. I do miss some days tho. It works for me. I know others who do not like this....OP if you are trying to figure it out for you...try once a week, once a day, once a month etc. and see which one works for you. I know that waiting is frustrating for me. I know how much I fluctuate daily that usually in the morning I know exactly how much I weigh. And I like that. It's a game for me! "Can I guess my weight?" =)
    As for logging weight, I do it when I have a new loss, or if my weight goes up and stays up for more than 2 weeks. I lift heavy weights so my weight goes up regularly before I dump weight. So logging is all over the place for me =)
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Weigh myself every day and log my weight after each loss. If the scale fluctuates up, I'll wait about 3 days to see if it's from water and what not. If the weight is still higher than my last log, I will log the gain.

This
  • Britterboo22
    Britterboo22 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Once a day after in the morning.
    before breakfast and after morning bathroom routine.

I log on Thursdays.
    I used to weigh in every Thursday but if I go a day without weighing I feel lost :/
  • Laac68
    Laac68 Posts: 55
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning and at nights, but I record my weight once a week.
  • CaeliGirl11
    CaeliGirl11 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day in the mornings but I don't log weights every day. I probably log weights every few days depending on if I see that I am consitently weighing down to that level. If I am say weighing down a pound for three straight days then I'll log it...if not I'll wait til I do. If I see a gain for a week then I'll log that then too.
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I started Shaun T FocusT25 on Monday ... I weighed myself on Monday morning before I ate anything. Then the program has weekely weigh-ins on Saturday mornings - that's the schedule I plan to stick with

Once a week is sufficent I think in terms of logging it
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I weigh in and log once a month.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every sunday morning, and I log it every sunday morning =)

so far so good.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Back to every day. I was doing weekly, but wasn't being as disciplined and gained weight.
  • Melissa11412
    Melissa11412 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    #1 - rarely

#2 - never

i don't bother with the scale as it would drive me nutso watching the numbers fluctuate. I don't want to discourage myself in a weak moment (not liking the number i see, and indulging in comfort food to suppress the disappointment) so I go by how my clothes fit and pictures. I believe the last time I weighed was in April.

All I know is i was wearing a size 16 in January and i'm wearing a size 10 now and starting to get into some 8's.

:smile:
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Most mornings (4-6 times per week). I throw them into my spreadsheet where I track many parts of my fitness because that's just the kind of guy I am.

I average them over the week and judge my weight loss/gain by the weekly average and compare it to my caloric intake and exercise output to see what's going on.

Yeah it's mostly a wank, but I do recommend using a weekly average rather than going day by day. Even then, over the long term a monthly average can be best, especially for women.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I only weight myself when scuba diving. It's hard to sink with all that neoprene on otherwise.

I weigh myself every morning. More data = more accurate trendlines. Some people can't handle seeing the number bounce up and down though.
  • tasharock
    tasharock Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Every day, only log a loss.