Women who drink

Options
I am on a weight loss journey, but I am only just 21 and I still want to be able to go out and indulge in the night life around my town. I think it's causing a stop on my weight loss. I'm lookin' for other ladies who are trying to balance losing weight and knockin' back a few cocktails with the coworkers once a week. Any one?

Replies

• Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I stick with whiskey.. You could always mix it with diet soda if you want but beer is what killed me.
  • rachie590
    rachie590 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I opt for drinks that are easier to sip, aka plain vodka and water with a lemon or a lime. If you mix liquor with soda, be it diet or regular it's easier to down it. I also alternate a glass of water with every drink. White wine mixed with club soda, aka a spritzer is also a great choice. It's just like the food you choose, you have to choose wisely and watch your portions. I've been enjoying the lack of hangovers. Oh and for beer I went from strictly drinking craft beers that can pack over 200 each, to miller 64 with a slice of lemon. Last camping trip I went on I had a blast as was the only person not hungover when we all went hiking!

Good Luck!!
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I have no problem losing and enjoying cocktails, as long as I figure them into my calories.
  • AmandaAnne307
    AmandaAnne307 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Drink LOTS of water the day of and the day after - and factor the drinks into your calories for the day, even if it means going over it's better than just drinking away.
  • ladyoflb
    ladyoflb Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Have you tried skinny girl cocktails? I always go with vodka cranberry. Yes, cranberry has a lot of sugar, but it does wonders with my hangovers! Also, as you know, moderation is key with ANYTHING. If you keep your drinks to one or two, you can easily fit it into your daily calorie allowances.

Also, if beer is your thing, try those low cal beers, I think they have those. I don't have much experience with beers, I don't drink it but I think they do have those options.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I generally drink once a week and don't have a problem losing weight. I basically stopped the "glass or two of wine at night" drinking, and save it for the "sleeping on the bathroom floor" nights of drinking.
  • bisquickshawl
    bisquickshawl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I usually know I'll be out drinking the night before I actually drink, so (I'm not sure if this is actually okay or not) But I stick to a lot of lighter meals to make up for the calories I'll be indulging. Or, have a harder workout the morning before a night of drinking.
    I'm usually not to worried about it, but you nowadays you can get a "skinny" anything!
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I drink. Not usually every week. I'm getting older :wink: but there's nothing wrong with it! You can work around them. Either plan some extra workouts to cover the extra calories, or lower your daily calories (only by 100 if you have the calories to spare) 5-6 days per week so you can have them the night you go out. No guilt.
  • sarahmaryjane
    sarahmaryjane Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you're a wine drinker, but I know wine is much more forgiving than beer as far as alcohol. Also, the Skinny Girl line actually has some delicious stuff (the Skinny Girl Margarita is super tasty) that may be a better option for you! :)

Hope that helps. Hang in there, you are awesome!
  • HealthierFoodie
    HealthierFoodie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my beer but like you, I felt like it was ruining my progress. I recently started alternating a beer/cocktail with a tonic water with a couple splashes of bitters and some Rose's lime juice (more calories) or a couple slices of limes (less calories). It tastes and looks like a real cocktail (bitters is 50% ABV but there's not enough in there to count) but for under 50 calories. Most of my friends that have tried it enjoy it but it may not be for you.
  • algrant1
    algrant1 Posts: 17
    Options
    I don't drink often, but I do like cherry vodka and club soda. Infused vodkas have enough flavor and sweetness for my taste and cutting out high calorie mixers helps keep me on track. Plus, high sugar drinks contribute to a massive hangover!
    And drink water in between cocktails.
  • mbs439
    mbs439 Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm only recently 21 too, so I'm still figuring this out lol. I've been trying to stay away from beer and any sugary cocktails. Lately I just order vodka soda with lime. It has fewer calories than a vodka cranberry or jack and coke (what I would usually get), and the lime gives it a little flavor. Honestly, it's not that great, pretty bland and boring. But it seems like the best option and gets you drunk! haha
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I only do beer on the weekends, and during weeknights I either have Diet Coke and bourbon (a single is around 110 calories for what I drink) or I figure my wine into my calories (150 cal or so a glass). I haven't had any issues losing weight this way, but beer is the big, dangerous culprit so I tend to try to steer clear of it.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I drink every weekend but I adjust my eating to save room for it. I also adjusted my weigh in day to Friday morning, that way I have all week to burn off and correct whatever damage I may have done!

Drinks of choice:

Rum and diet coke- I use an actual shot glass (one ounce shot glass) and keep track
    Skinny mojitos- I mash fresh mint from my herbal garden with lime and splenda, add a shot of rum and top with zero calorie soda water.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    beer.gif
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I drink beer, wine, occassionally vodka, and it hasn't stopped my weight loss in the least. I'm working on maintenance calories now, and I haven't gained even on the weeks where I indulge more than others.

Go out. Have fun with your friends, and eat sensibly the rest of the time (and while you're drinking). You'll be fine.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I drink wine every day. It’s a must and I’ve never had an issue losing weight while drinking it. IIFYM then why not. I always make room for it. :drinker:
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    i drink every weekend lol, but i drink wine, i try and stay away from to much liquor, i get real bloated the next day!!
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Limit yourself. Instead of drinking 4-5 times a week, go drinking 1-2 times a week. And stay within your calories. You should be good. :wink:
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I like my vodka and orange Sparkling Ice water. It costs me 67 calories I think per shot of vodka and there are no calories in the water.
    Some people can do it, some can't. From someone who used to subsist on Doritos, pizza and beer, I don't think my shot of vodka is going to kill me.