1/17 – 8.02 warm up, speed work, cool down
    1/18 – 7.04 group run
    1/19 – 7.67 warmup, speed work
    1/20 – rest day
    1/21 – 16.16 easy
    1/22 – 7.63 one hour easy

January total to date – 163.33

Nominal Challenge Goal – 225 miles
    Real Goals: Train toward Boston, working 3 Freezeroo races plus Winter Warrior Half into the training plan. Avoid injury.

Today's notes – Yesterday the plan said 14-18 miles at E, and 16 was all I could handle. Today the plan says one hour easy, and it was a piece of cake. Got out about 3 PM at 44º F (7º C) with a bit of a NE wind and overcast skies, but no precipitation. Ran a familiar 7-ish mile route with a few rolling hills, and had to add distance near the end to get to my hour. Felt pretty good, with most of the beat up areas from yesterday being fine after a good night's sleep.

I did think about @MNLittleFinn along about mile 2, when I got a random mild ache in my calf. I'd had them more frequently when I first started building miles after injury, but they're pretty rare now. Sure enough, it went away within a mile and didn't come back. I'm reasonably confident that these aches are because my calves became deconditioned with no running then very limited running to recover from tendinitis, and it's almost like developing the calves when I first became a runner. Except the development is a lot faster this time.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY)
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship 8K (Bend, OR)
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY)
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY)
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY)
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @Calvin2008Brian congrats on the Key West HM! I gave a little thought to scheduling a vacation and running that this year too, but it didn't work out. Your report makes me want to try for it next year though!

@Stoshew71 love the hound dog pic! Sounds like you had a great and fun run despite the race postponement.

@HonuNui love the snorkeling pics, a slipper lobster is an interesting beast!

@kristinegift pretty trail!

@skippygirlsmom glad you got a good longer run! Nice!

@BeeerRunner sorry about the knee pain but good job with your long run. Hope it recovers quickly.

Everybody else - good running and take good care of the injuries/recovering injuries!

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Thanks @katharmonic! Your hike looks awesome, Stella is a sweetie!
    @girlinahat sounds like fun
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift judging by the pictures, that was a great run! Oh, what shoes for the run?

@MNLittleFinn I've got a pair of Sketchers Go Trail shoes. I really like them, but all the rocks and muck and downhill gave me a bit of a hot spot on my foot, so I may need to look into a new trail shoe for the longer runs this spring.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    Everyone probably knew this but me, but I just discovered that on Google maps you can do a "measure distance". I was playing with it and mapped out two potential routes. I used to look at my Strava or Endomondo runs and estimate ways to go, but with this feature it tells you and you can drag the route to change it. I only use google maps for directions, not for this.
    @ddmom0811 You can also plan routes with Strava, which I find really useful for planning new routes - you can show the "heatmap" to see where other people run, you can also drag the route around, and in the end you can save it and then load it on your phone when you start tracking an activity, and then let it show both your planned routes as well as your actual track as you run/ride. Much easier than having to remember which way I was suppoed to turn and when :wink:

• skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ wow that looks crazy. I'm sorry it didn't turn out the way you wanted, it sucks that you got stuck where you couldn't pass. Great job getting it done.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ that looks crazy and awesome. Great job!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @katharmonic , you don't mind giving Stella to me do you? Thanks. ;)
    Then I ran down the ridge, and round the base. If anyone ever saw that episode of 'Friends' where Phoebe and Rachel went running, well that's what I did all the way down. That and pretending to be an aeroplane as I flew down. I am not four years old, but it is way more fun acting like I am than being a grown-up!!!

What with panting and puffing and trying to catch my breath and find my jelly babies, a mere 10k took the better part of two hours. But I had the BIGGEST grin on my face after. Flappy arms are the way to go.

@girlinahat - You might not want her on some days, but she's pretty cuddly so I'll keep her. Awesome run! I love that image of Phoebe-like running and how fun that must have been.

@_nikkiwolf_ Wow, that's a tough run! I can't imagine how hard that was. Very cool.

This thread is full of some crazy runners! In a good way :)
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    1/22 - 4.2
    71.2/90 total for Jan
    Still trying to get the hang of these boards...how do I find my earlier posts without scrolling back?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    snowyne wrote: »
    1/22 - 4.2
    71.2/90 total for Jan
    Still trying to get the hang of these boards...how do I find my earlier posts without scrolling back?

I've been just scrolling back since I started. I normally know withing a page or 2 of where it should be, then I just control F each page looking for my SN
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @BEERRUNNER i thought about getting out too, but the wind is just too much. 34mph gusts and I'm sure my allergies can not handle that.
    Way to get the 18+ miles in in pain free!

Yeah...that wind was crazy. There was a spot where I was getting a cross wind from the side and felt like it was blowing me around.

As you know, us runners think of all kinds of things while running so I was thinking about how to make a mini hand held parachute thing when the wind was at my back so I could run really super super fast!! Lol!!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    All I have to say is, thank goodness for walking. It's something I can still do to stay active even when I'm too worn out to run. And worn out I was today. Tried running in a few spots, but it was very apparent that I did not have it in me today. But I did walk for an hour, a little over 4 miles.

Incidentally, trying to run without the proper bra when you're as well endowed as I am is quite an interesting experience.

Tomorrow I go see my psychiatrist. I am really hoping I can get something to help me out. I am 100% frazzled from all the garbage that's been going on in my head.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @respectthekitty good luck tomorrow
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @BEERRUNNER i thought about getting out too, but the wind is just too much. 34mph gusts and I'm sure my allergies can not handle that.
    Way to get the 18+ miles in in pain free!

Yeah...that wind was crazy. There was a spot where I was getting a cross wind from the side and felt like it was blowing me around.

As you know, us runners think of all kinds of things while running so I was thinking about how to make a mini hand held parachute thing when the wind was at my back so I could run really super super fast!! Lol!!

Haha! That'd been funny today! I was watching the leaves in the back blowing in circles!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Loving all the photos today <3 . Wake was today, hit monthly because stress. Will hope to log 200km for January as a secondary goal.

January 1- Travel Day
    January 2- 8.1km
    January 3- 8.1km
    January 4- 8.1km
    January 5- Rest Day
    January 6- 10km
    January 7- 15.1km
    January 8- 6km
    January 9- HIIT Day
    January 10- 10.1km
    January 11- Rest Day
    January 12- 10.1km
    January 13- 7.1k
    January 14- 21.1km
    January 15&16- Off
    January 17- 16km
    January 18- 5.1km
    January 19- 12.5km
    January 20- Travel Day
    January 21- 16km
    January 22- 7.5km

160.8/160km
  • bmelb1
    bmelb1 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 I am so sorry for your loss, PTSD is such a terrible thing for anyone to suffer from.
    @Katharmonic Cute pictures of your dog.
    @Orphia Your poses are amazing, how long have you been doing yoga?
    @_nikkiwolf_ Way to tough out a difficult run, seeing the runner’s lights in the dark is pretty cool.

Today was my long run and I was able to keep it slow enough that my average heart rate was in Zone 2 this time, which was what I was aiming for, along with the 8 km distance. This was my first full week of running using a training plan I created to prepare for a half marathon in September. I based most of it on what I learned from reading 80/20 Running by Matt Fitzgerald and I'm sure I'll be modifying it as I go along and figure out what works best for me. Right now I'm mostly just working on building my base mileage and I just increased my running from 4 days/week to 5 days this week. So far so good...

Date Km Today - Km for Jan.
    1/3 5.73 - 5.73
    1/5 3.79 - 9.52
    1/6 5.41 - 14.93 10K running clinic
    1/8 6.08 - 21.01
    1/10 5.8 - 26.81
    1/11 5.96 - 32.77
    1/13 4.1 – 36.87
    1/15 7.11 – 43.98 My first LSD run
    1/17 6 - 49.98
    1/18 2.5 - 52.48
    1/19 6 - 58.48
    1/20 2.53 - 61.01
    1/22 8.01 – 69.02 LSD Run
    =========
    Goal 75 km

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    Polar Hero 5km OCR? - 2/4
    Ottawa Tamarack 10km - 5/27
    Canada Army Run HM - 9/17
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    January goal: Get up. Move.

1/1: rest
    1/2 3.55
    1/3 4.21
    1/4 5.69
    1/5 rest
    1/6 2.71 + core/strength training
    1/7 4.17
    1/8 yoga
    1/9 bought a car. Took ALL day!
    1/10 4.70
    1/11 3.2
    1/12 work sux
    1/13 work still sux
    1/14 exhausted from sukky work week
    1/15 5.11
    1/16 3.15
    1/17 3.00
    1/18 snorkel 3 hours
    1/19 rest
    1/20 lazy
    1/21 3.21
    1/22 3.25

Total: 45.95
    @_nikkiwolf_ that sure looked fun....as long as I didn't have to touch that white stuff myself!
    @girlinahat I giggled out loud picturing your run with arms flapping...
    Ticker is my goal for 2017 and total to date:

exercise.png