WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,087 Member
    Options
    Katla thanks for the info. My DH had problems with his knees about 2 years ago. He does a series of exercises and has had not had trouble since. I plan to start doing some of these once my knee is healed. I think your are right about the squats. I think stretching like in yoga is a better idea. One of DH exercises is like this.

When he went for therapy the therapist told him it is the muscles around your knee that need to be exercised so your knee is more stable.

After how much pain I was in for a month I will be very careful. It gives me compassion for those who are in chronic pain with no relief.

:heart: Margaret
  • azsundancer
    azsundancer Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    Yo. Got attacked by a giant burrito tonight. It grabbed me and threw itself down my throat.
    It was ugly.
    Police won't get involved, say it's a "self-induced crime."

Marcelyn
    just home from her comfort dinner in Houston

Your a hoot!!
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year to All!
    I haven't been on this thread for about 7 weeks. :/ I was having lots of questions about my job (whether I would have one), my December diet (would I be okay with just maintaining? Did I want to try to keep losing?), etc. And then I thought, "I'll never catch up with all the posts!" When I got on this morning there were already over 500! I skimmed through most and enjoyed the pictures.

Rita, you look great! And you've got a wonderful smile.

DJ, I LOVE your hair--the color and the cut. I consider going natural--I'm pretty gray right, and my father had the most wonderful white hair--but I'm enjoying being a reddish-head too much right now.

Barbie, Thank you for maintaining this conversation. I knew it would be here, thanks to you, and coming back to talk with everyone is great.

Allie, hugs to you in this tough time.

Welcome to all newbies I started coming to this thread early last summer after I had a hip replacement and was determined to lose the weight I had gained due to inactivity, pain and stress. Since I started logging I've lost about 33 lbs -- and I lost about 10 lbs before I started. I can now walk for miles easily and not be too sore. I can go up and down stairs without holding onto the railing, and I'm much faster. And my core, thanks to pilates and weight training is, quite frankly, awesome--wicked strong and svelte ;) . (My legs on the other hand...not awesome...but we can't have everything and I'm a glass half-full type). I no longer have constant, unrelenting, and severe pain. I weigh myself almost everyday (except over the holidays) and regularly log my food.

To the woman from LA who now lives in FL, Thanks for the warning about ignoring shoulder pain...I've got a lot and have been ignoring it--I'll get it checked and probably get some PT.

I'm with Heather and Katla when it comes to making sure I get enough food. I eat back most of my exercise calories except when I've got a huge number in one day (say, over 1,000 in addition to my regular 1500). If I undereat I am unhappy and resentful--and then I eat too much... I like to eat around 1900-2000 calories a day, which means I need my exercise--that's what logging my food and exercise has taught me. My weight loss, up until December was about 5-6 lbs a month, although getting in better shape helped with my overall appearance beyond the weight loss).

Has Re been around? I didn't see any posts from her so far this month.

Marcelyn, Awesome that you're doing the half marathon and taking care of your shoulder by walking. I admire both your commitment and your acceptance of your current limitations.

So, I told you my worries--job and worrying about food and the holidays...in the end I guess I decided to maintain my weight, which meant I increased my food intake but generally didn't go overboard. I also took a lot of long walks with a friend and my dogs. I lost one pound. A success!

My job--still up in the air, but I no longer feel dreadful about it. I'm planning both for what I would do if I continue to work and what I'll do if this particular job goes away. I've thought a lot about what I have to offer--and have come to accept (yet again) what I don't bring to the table.

I so look forward to re-engaging with you all! Right now I need to go shovel the driveway. There's only a couple of inches, and normally that amount would melt quickly, but the sun isn't shining and the temps are going to drop. DH and DS have gone to visit my MIL for the weekend.

Oh, we got another dog in late November--a young (about a year) cattle dog named Taz. He's so smart and such a handful! I'll post pictures later.

Hugs to you all!
    KarenE
  • azsundancer
    Options
    Good Morning Early Birds! :)

@fanncy0626 Thanks!

@IremiaRe I am learning quickly that I need to pre log to make this all work! You have come along way... congrats on the success you have!! I saw on another thread your favs are tacos? Mine too.

@margaretturk I see you on the other challenge board. More the Merrier!

@GRITSandSLUTS I will try to remember to sign my posts!

~ I am enjoying the pictures of everyone families ( furry ones also) and adventures... Thank you!

Belle in AZ that is logging every bite and slurp today!

• azsundancer
    edited January 2017
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    My suggestion for jumping jack modification is to mimic the arm movement of a jumping jack with a snow angel type move. The lower body can either do a squat or alternate stepping one leg out and in. The idea is to keep moving and get the heart rate up. Moving the arms up above the head really helps with this.

@drkatiebug Thank you!

Belle AZ ( I will get this down)
  • azsundancer
    edited January 2017
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Just not motivated at all. Depression is kicking in full force. I need to fight this. I made the commitment to check in here every day and keeping up with that, but not much else.

Skimming through posts and logging somewhat but not everything. Hard to get my head back in the game. Just gotta keep on keeping on.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Rita

Rita ((Hugs to you))

Belle AZ
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Charleen ~ The quilt is beautiful.

Rita ~ Do you take meds for your depression? I take one for depression every day and when I am feeling very anxious I have one that I take for that. I do know that getting out in the sunshine helps also.

Belle ~ I'm sorry you are feeling anxious about your job. I am beginning to believe that some of us just tend to overly worry about even the smallest things we perceive to be failures on our part. I know I do and so does my son. I am so glad to be retired. Hugs and prayers for you that every thing will work out for the best outcome for you.

Carol in GA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,685 Member
    Options
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Rita - There is something to be said about upping your vitamin D intake as it helps with a whole bunch of things including seasonal depression. A simple blood test by your doctor will tell you whether or not you are vitamin D deficient. My doctor has me on 50,000 units a week of over the counter vitamin D supplement and it makes a difference, so I do not take other prescription meds for depression.

DD does take depression medications and when her blood test revealed low vitamin D she was put on the same dosage of D supplement and it helped her so much she was able to reduce her prescription medication dosage.

Vitamin D deficiency is much more common than you think, partially in the winter when we don't get the skin exposure to the sun that we normally get in the summer. Just something to consider that might be pushing your feelings of depression. {{{{hugs}}}} work too!!!

Charleen in Colorado (Putting away the Christmas tree for another year)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Just not motivated at all. Depression is kicking in full force. I need to fight this. I made the commitment to check in here every day and keeping up with that, but not much else.

Skimming through posts and logging somewhat but not everything. Hard to get my head back in the game. Just gotta keep on keeping on.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Rita

I'm glad you checked in. Try vitamin D3 and bright lights to see whether you notice any improvement. I suffered from depression every winter for years until I started the D3 & lights. They help me & I hope they'll help you, too. :heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    We are still out of town. No chance to be active this morning. Late night meeting and early meeting start this morning. I was very careful with portion size and food choices at two restaurant meals. We brought our own food for breakfast and snacks. There is snow on the ground and snow expected for our drive home this afternoon. I can walk when I get home (without Sasha who can't be picked up from boarding until Monday).

<3 Barbie in chilly NW WA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,342 Member
    Options
    Charleen - Loving the Webcams! <3 Any one else got them? You certainly are having some snowy weather so far south . We haven't had snow yet this winter in the south of England. I don't want snow for the days we set off for our holiday soon. No airport and driving disruption, please.

Kate UK - Thanks for all the pics. Nice to see blue sky. Do you speak any Spanish? I am doing my Duolingo every day for five minutes to keep it up for Mexico. My brother drinks his tea black. I like a small slurp of semi skimmed.

Ready for my curry! The smell is killing me! :o:p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Pip – Another view of your rug; mine is exactly the same one. Great minds, and all that … good taste; whatever!

Michele – A friend of mine made a ‘rice’ bag; that is about 2’ long and 5” in diameter; which I can put in the freezer or microwave. Not much to it, other than about 10lbs of uncooked rice.

It’s cold; but, a beautiful day insofar as sun is shining. Did not get freezing last night.

We just ran a small stream of water in our sink(s) to keep the pipes from freezing (and wrap up all our outdoor faucets).

Yeah, the damage was awful! I’m glad that I made my run into town on Monday … storm happened Monday night.

I take a physical list to the grocery store, because if I leave my smart phone on, the battery runs down. If I charged it up and put the list on there right before I left, I could put the transfer it to that; but, often I forget to put it in my pocketbook. Louis always makes our grocery list and puts it, with money, down in my purse … so I won’t forget it.

Christy in Melbourne – Sorry about your cancer and upcoming chemo, too! Both my older sisters are breast cancer survivors. My mother had ovarian cancer; but, that isn’t what she passed away from.

Carol – DOGD’s young 4 ½ month old lab; had just discovered she liked the rain; she went running out on the deck, hit the ice and toppled over. They laughed at her. She did not like stepping on the ice. Shared with her a FB clip that showed people laying down a tarp, before it snowed, so that it would be bare land/grass for when your dogs needed to go outside. I thought that was a neat idea.

Kelly – When we get a forecast for freezing weather; we always let out sink(s) [mostly kitchen one], run a steady narrow stream of water to prevent freezing the pipes. We’ve only had one outside ‘faucet’ freeze up; but, it did not affect the water to the house. Hopefully, your daughter doesn’t have any broken pipes, and that it is coming out slowly because of ice.

Heather – What I’ve always found strange is people putting milk in tea (or any kind of creamer).

Belle – Signing your posts just makes it a lot easier for all of us to get to know you better. Keep tracking and keep chatting.

Charleen – BEAUTIFUL QUILT! Is the stitching done by hand or a machine? Gee, that must have been very time consuming. I can’t imagine doing one quilt, much less the number you’ve done over the years. How long did it take you to make this one quilt?

Lenora
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Rice Socks are the Bomb! I received one when I was teaching then made them for family members one Christmas. DH is constantly putting his in the microwave. Didn't think about the freezer. Got men's heavy really long socks, filled with uncooked rice, and tied securely (rubber bands and ribbons). We've been using these for the last 6 years.

Carol