Just for Today ..... Daily Commitment Thread- Start of a new year!

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Bex953172 wrote: »

Monday:
    1. 10,000 steps :) 20,089
    2. under 75G carbs :)
    3. under 1400 calories :)
    4. 8+ freggies :)
    5. 10+C water :)
    6. 60 minutes zumba :) plus a 5-mile walk and some weight lifting

Yesterday, my S.O. decided that he was fat (he's not, but has developed a belly in the last few months) and that he was going to start doing something about it. We both had the day off...so we worked out THREE TIMES. Ouch.

“Worked out” :wink: :sweat_smile:

Well, yeah...but there was also a five mile walk, an hour of zumba and a round of weight lifting. ;)
  • azulvioleta6
    joan6630 wrote: »
    6. doctors appt tomorrow :) Went to my yearly OB/GYN appt. He wants to do genetic testing on me, since I have so much cancer. I am still debating this. A part of me wants to do it, another part of me is not sure I want to know if I have the genes that I will get cancer. He says because my mother, grandmother both had breast cancer, but especially a brother that had pancreatic cancer at age 49, and a brother with leukemia at age 51, I am a perfect candidate for this. What would you guys do??? I just don't know if it would be good or bad to know.

I think that it is always better to have more data so that you can make more informed decisions. The truth is the the truth, whether you know it or not.

Is he going to test for BCRA1/2?
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Reporting in so I can stay accountable. I ate out at Cracker Barrel and was 4 calories short of my upper calorie limit with exercise added in. You know that's likely over in reality. My son is mad at me because he wanted to play and I made him come home. And my butt hurts just because it has decided to.
    I did go to pool for 45 minutes but no cycling because that might be why my butt hurts. Son did his classes and meetings but he was a bit of a brick wall. NOTHING got cleaned or put away and even the sun/rain could not make up their minds all day long.

BUT HERE IS MY BEST THOUGHT--I rushed around looking for shirt to wear and went into son's closet where his big clothes shelf had detached from wall on one side so I had to hurriedly remove the clothes hanging there and on the shelf. Rushing, I grabbed the first blue suit and we ran on. I got the SMALL (14W) suit and it fit fine. The POW-MIA ceremony was special and I was glad we got to go. There were 3 WW2 vets there and several wreaths were put down. Mostly navy sailors and some Air Force officers and VFW or rider groups. Just interesting to see/know some folks take time at sunset each September for remembering the ones who disappeared.
    Of course, right in the middle, my son had to pee so I took him behind some trees. His dad taught him guys can just pee outside and I find that a bit hard to convey I do not want it happening. The small suit, the small suit!

Same goals tomorrow day. EAT the low calorie amount. Exercise the long time amount. Drag kid through classes and meetings including Boy Scouts while I do Heritage Center time. Dishes, laundry, FLOOR. Be thankful dog has not rolled in poop since I washed her Monday.
  • MLHC1
    MLHC1 Posts: 678 Member
    MLHC1 wrote: »
    9/19 Tuesday JFT:

✔Up early
    ✔Prep lunches for the day
    ✔Kiddos & teeno to school early
    ✔At university today 8 am - 1 pm
    ✔Small grocery trip
    ✔Jog on elliptical
    ✔Pick up kiddos & teeno ;)
    ❌Dinner by 7pm ➡️ 8 pm✔
    ❌Bedtime by 9:30 pm ➡️ 10:30 pm

I did it!!!! I got onto the elliptical!! It was only 15 min. but considering the nausea and exhaustion, I'm considering that a win. I felt good right afterwards but about 15 min. later I got sick :# I think the heat got to me today. I had just got back from the store and picking up kids (the temp. outside today was 97 °F). Then I got home and went straight to the elliptical. So my plan next time is to jog when I'm not so hot. Other than that, I feel like today was successful.

Have a blessed evening / day everyone :blush:
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,250 Member
    edited September 2017
    Tuesday, Sept 19
    1. log all food :)
    2. concentrate on drinking water :)
    3. remember to make protein shakes if I am hungry :/
    4. hug my husband, and try to cheer him up. :)
    5. go to the gym. It helps, not only the socializing, as I have met so many wonderful people there, but I feel stronger, and healthier when I go. Also, I don't want to break this nice habit I have developed :)
    6. get back on here tomorrow. Be accountable :)

JFT, Wed
    1. getting hair cut/colored, so can't go to the gym. But .... I can go in the evening. Try and go in the evening
    2. log all food
    3. remember to drink water
    4. work on cupboards underneath bathroom sinks
    5. help husband build 2 units which will ship next week
    6. clean out refrigerator and pantry
    7. sip water in the evening
    8. stay within calories limit - 1400 calories

Yes, @azulvioleta6, I believe it is the BCRA1/2 testing.

I have a brother, who was only 49 when he got pancreas cancer (passed away at age 51), another brother who passed away at age 53 from leukemia, both my mother and grandmother passed away from breast cancer, and 3 aunts who had colon cancer, father from lung cancer - but he smoked, and most of my aunts on my mothers side all got cancer at early ages. (my other brother committed suicide at age 62, and my only sister passed at age 56 from other causes, but not cancer).

So my OB/GYN doctor told me that colon cancer, pancreas cancer, and breast cancer are all from the same gene, and by doing testing, I would be able to have more frequent testing done (like mammograms every 6 months, MRI to check pancreas, more frequent colonoscopies).

I want to thank you all so much for your input on whether or not I should do the genetic testing. I have decided, that NO, I will wait, and not find out if I carry the gene. I think for myself, I would worry so much if I was told that I am carrying a gene to get pancreas or breast cancer. I know I most likely will someday, but .... after talking to my husband, and knowing myself, we would both be wrecks. SO ... I;m just going to enjoy my life, and live the life I want, and continue to get all the tests I can do to try and catch anything early. .

• mytime6630
    Yesterday, my S.O. decided that he was fat (he's not, but has developed a belly in the last few months) and that he was going to start doing something about it. We both had the day off...so we worked out THREE TIMES. Ouch.

THREE TIMES!!! Can you even walk today!! But .... that is nice that he is willing to work out with you -- much easier when your partner also wants to get in shape!
  • mytime6630
    Day 27 (Sept 19) Goals:
    1. Keep under 100 carbs❌
    2. Exercise a bit✅
    3. Stay calm and patient✅
    4. Log Everything✅
    5. Have a RELAXED day✅
    6. Bonus: keep under 2000 cals❌

So I got in my exercise... but no matter how much I tried I couldn't keep under my carbs today. I was with family and tried to be careful without being too picky, I avoided cake and chocolates and bread and ate very small portions but once I put in what I did eat it all added up to much more than I thought. :(

I still walked for more than 1.5 hours and enjoyed the day. The first stress-less day I've had since being here.

Day 28 (Sept 20) Goals:
    1. Keep under 100 carbs (for real this time!!!)
    2. Exercise a bit
    3. Stay calm and patient
    4. Log Everything
    5. No wheat
    6. No sugar
    7. Bonus: keep under 2000 cals

With all the stress you have been under --- I think you are doing amazing!!! Great job!
  • mytime6630
    junodog1 wrote: »
    <<<< HUGS >>>> to all of you! So much good and bad happening. Joy and sorrow. Sometimes I read ya’lls posts and my heart just aches for you.

I

I’m still here! That hurricane took the wind out my sails for about a week. We got through OK, and none of my friends or neighbors down here in central Florida had significant damage. I had little time for the computer. We have spent our days cleaning up fallen trees and branches at our place and neighbors. Our garage door was knocked off track so we had to take it apart and reassemble it. The generator stopped working – but I solved it! We pulled down and demolished the enclosure of a friends screened pool that was wiped out but still hanging precariously. Lots and lots of physical labor. Not much cooking going on. Lot’s of bad eating choices. Hurricane snacks are a real thing. I ate chips and Nutty Buddy bars and more chips and hot dogs and all the chocolate things in my reach and goldfish and a lot more junk that I just cannot remember! (And it was all tasty.) My work was closed for most of the week – I was in the office about 8 hours total so we had a lot of time for physical labor. I slept well. Even when we only had the generator power, we were at least able to run our ceiling fans. Everything could have been so much worse. Back in northeast Florida, where I come from, it is a flooding disaster. My heart…. :heartbreak::heartbreak:

I cannot even imagine what it must be like to go through something like these hurricanes! To me, not only so scarry, but even though it is only material possessions, still so very hard. My heart goes out to you, and I pray that hurricane season ends very soon. My brother lives in West Palm Beach, so I am always worried about him, as he will not evacuate from his ground floor apartment. Praying for all your safety during this season! Take good care of yourself -- that is the most important thing.
  • mytime6630
    Bex953172 wrote: »

Do you mean there’s so much cancer in your family or you personally have cancer?

So far, I've never had cancer. So hoping maybe those bad genes skipped me :) I'm just going to keep on enjoying my life, and I'll cross that bridge if I have to .... but decided to just wait. But thank you also for your input
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    @joan6630 I'm not quite sure what I would do. Will it actually make a practical difference if you find out? For example, will it mean you qualify for extra/more frequent screening, or other services that might reduce your risk?

If it won't change anything practically, then I agree with @Bex953172 that the most important thing is how you feel - and flipping a coin will help you understand that!
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Struggling a bit with motivation this week. Still going through lots of stress and drama at work which is really impacting my mood and consequently my choices.

Need to rise above this and concentrate on me and my goals. When things get rubbish, I need to focus on my goals and how I will feel when I reach them. And find other ways to deal with negative emotions.

Today's commitments -
    - Log everything I eat
    - No snacks except ryvita
    - Order the healthy option at pub dinner (fish). No dessert
    - One water for every alcoholic drink
    - One wine only - any extra to be G & slimline T

- 30+ minute lunch break
    - Meditate
    - If feel negative, find alternative ways to alleviate it (happy song/ cup of tea/ read article online/ look at holiday destinations online)
    - Focus on key priorities and be productive
    - Check email only at intervals
    - Get 22.45 train home - latest
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Just For Today - 09-19-2017
    :) Stay in the green on calories
    :) Drink water!
    :| If home at daylight, pick up a garbage can worth of debris picked up minimal amount of debris
    :) Clean downstairs bathroom
    :) Wash dark load for work clothes
    :/ Make a time line for looking for a new job. This has slipped too much.
    - Iron shirts (turned out there were no shirts to iron)
    :) Plan tomorrow's food today

Just For Today - 09-20-2017
    • in the green on calories
    • Drink water!
    • If home at daylight, pick up a garbage can worth of debris
    • Start FEMA process for work
    • Make a time line for looking for a new job.
    • Plan tomorrow's food today
    • Kitchen floor
    • Vacuum upstairs
  • Saragirl2
    Saragirl2 Posts: 630 Member
    Volunteering at function-so rushing this am.

Walk dog before leaving.
    Keep hydrated.
    Enjoy the awesome lunch. Savor every bite.
    Lots of physical activity.
    Early to bed.
  • MLHC1
    MLHC1 Posts: 678 Member
    9/20 Wednesday JFT:

Prep lunches
    Kiddos & teeno to school
    Enjoy breakfast w/ hubby :blush:
    Budget review
    Prep for family meeting
    Homework and Studying
    Jog on elliptical
    Stretches
    Small grocery trip
    Nap ~ 1hr
    Pick up kiddos
    Dinner by 7pm
    Bedtime by 9:30 pm
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,601 Member
    Recap T 9/19
    1) Walked dog 3.4 miles before work / now wearing reflective gear (both me & dog) since we're leaving home > 30 minutes before sunrise = happy dog :smiley:
    2) Have pre-logged (almost) all meals & snacks for Tues. / stick to plan / net calories green = Green! :smiley:
    3) Use Calm app, pause & pray = Done, still need to do longer :smile:
    4) After work wash: 1 window = Washed glass panels on either side of front door, inside & out. Gotta love that our typical summer weather has finally arrived just as autumn is officially starting. Doggy nose prints are now gone, I wonder how long that will last :D ; towels = done :smiley: ; dishes piled on counter = done :smiley:
    5) Make lunch since won't be going home W = done & I will eat healthy :smiley:
    5) Unwind 9:30 / bedtime & TV off 10:15 = Almost! 10:20 :smiley: btw, how did I end up with two #fives? :p

JFT W 9/20
    1) Hit snooze button couple of times, so only walked dog 2.8 miles before work. Loving the weather, still wearing shorts and a T for early morning walks. = happy dog :smiley:
    2) Meals & snacks are pre-logged today / net calories green
    3) Wrap work project as much as possible / begin summarization docs / assist co-worker
    4) Remember 6:30 church to help with funeral luncheon set-up
    5) Unwind 9:30 / bedtime & TV off 10:15

@joan6630 I admire your decision on the testing. At my age, I feel exactly the same way, hence my response earlier. I would be too freaked if I knew I had the gene & had to get tested so frequently. So enjoy yourself!
  • mepeiffer
    mepeiffer Posts: 105 Member
    I need to get on track I am going to start my advocare cleanse next week after this weekend prep for it. (hopefully) and then get in gear ans stick with my goals.

Losing weight watching what I eat-log food
    exercising daily - planks and yoga.
    Get support here and give support back.
  • azulvioleta6

Tuesday:
    1. 10,000 steps
    2. under 75G carbs
    3. under 1400 calories
    4. 8+ freggies
    5. 10+C water
    6. swim a mile

Going to the big city for a job interview this afternoon, so today is going to be an unusual day. I am going to have to eat dinner out.

Wednesday:
    1. 10,000 steps
    2. track as well as possible
    3. 10+C water
    4. dance bachata
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,414 Member
    Oh my goodness. I have not been on here in DAYS! I don't even see my last post, so that should give you a clue as to how well I've been behaving. There must be something about this time of year that makes me give up and not care as much. I think I try really hard in spring because I know I'll be wearing shorts and tank tops, etc. Then it starts to get cooler out, and I think I pull out my baggy sweaters and sweat pants, and I just give up. I do it every single year.

So, having 'fessed up to being sassy, here goes:

Just for Wednesday:
    1. Stay in green
    2. <35 g added sugar, <100 g carbs
    3. 64+oz water
    4. Listen to Calm app tonight, while diffusing calming oils
    5. Prep for tomorrow, tonight
    6. Sleeping by 10:15 pm
    7. Set alarm for 5:30 and do not press snooze in the morning!
  • PrincesseAly23
    PrincesseAly23 Posts: 440 Member
    Day 28 (Sept 20) Goals:
    1. Keep under 100 carbs (for real this time!!!)❎ (3 carbs over!)
    2. Exercise a bit✅
    3. Stay calm and patient✅
    4. Log Everything✅
    5. No wheat ✅
    6. No sugar❎ (Smallest bit of chocolate)
    7. Bonus: keep under 2000 cals✅

I walked a lot today and had a wonderful relaxed day. I ran errands for my MIL and spent time with FIL in hospital. He is doing much better and will be home Friday.

Husband caught a cold. :neutral:

I don't think I put a legend out yet for the symbols I use. As I like to be extremely organized... here is my system:

✅ Goal accomplished.
    ❎Sooooo close it almost counts as accomplished.
    ❌No where near Goal. Complete failure.

Day 29 (Sept 21) Goals:
    1. Keep under 100 carbs (for real this time!!!)
    2. Exercise a bit
    3. Stay calm and patient
    4. Log Everything
    5. No wheat
    6. No sugar
    7. Bonus: keep under 2000 cals
  • dlm4mom
    dlm4mom Posts: 251 Member
    Committments for this week Monday- Friday
    1. Go grocery shopping
    2. Prepare 2 meals that will be ready when I get home from work.
    3. Cut up fruits and vegs and put in baggies
    4. Do not get up from bed to eat
    5. Try a new healthy recipe
    6. Buy small birthday cake for husb. Just big enough for one piece each.
    7. Find a good snack food

Lots of challenges today. Work and at home. I was a little over on calories and right at normal carbs. What I learned today is that it is really hard to stay under on carbs and eat a piece of cake regardless of low or no carbs at other meals. So I did not exceed any of my goals but could have been much worse.
    Someone brought a cake into work today and I have to figure out how not to succumb to it tomorrow. There are only 4 of us in the office and almost a whole cake. I am so hoping to lose a pound this week.
    Again thank you for the motivation in your posts. It is amazing to me how I can find inspiration in the words of people I have not even met.