Slimfast Diet.

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    If you aren't concerned with soduim, I'd stick with microwaveable meals and the occasional shake. Also, almost as simple as Lean Cuisine, etc. is what I've taken to doing: get some frozen veg that have sauce (like the Green Giant "lightly sauced" options), throw the veg and one or two thawed frozen salmon filets into a covered container and nuke for 3 minutes at a time until everything is cooked through. The sauce from the veg cooks into the fish. The fish comes out perfect as long as you're careful not to overcook it.

My experience with slim fast: Always hungry and filling in the gaps with hot pockets. That doesn't mean it isn't a good idea. It just wasn't for me.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    My TMI experience with SlimFast - it gave me the craps. I'm convinced it works, because it's a laxative. The shakes weren't too bad, and I really liked the bars. Now I just eat intuitively and prepare things that are simple.
  • Charlene_1985
    Charlene_1985 Posts: 122 Member
    I use Slimfast powder to make a quick shake sometimes after my runs. I add a banana or strawberries to the milk, powder, and ice. They taste amazing.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    I used to drink a slim fast shake for lunch in high school, mostly because I was lazy. After a while I found they did a poor job keeping me satisfied. That being said, I've gone back to meal shakes for lunches out of necessity. I quite like the Vega One nutritional shakes!

I also want to echo what people said about long term vs short term solution- are you prepared to essentially be on the slim fast diet forever? That is likely how you will have to be if you want to keep the weight off. Just make sure whatever method you use is long term sustainable.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    As some have noted, the microwave meals are loaded with sodium. Even the products marked "Low Sodium" or "Reduced Sodium" are still pretty high.
    The grocery store where I do most of my shopping has prepared tuna salad, chicken salad, and other products which avoid the needed preserving salt. Purchasing these items will provide variety, good nutrition, and lower your sodium intake.
  • w117seg
    w117seg Posts: 14 Member
    I did slimfast and it did work. However, I did have snacks, not always the slimfast ones, but something small. And I still had to use the MFP calorie counter. It worked for me because my family is a bunch of carboholics for dinner. I needed smaller meals to make up for that. It took getting used to the lower calorie meals. I found I really like the high protein low sugar ones that taste like caramel frappucino. I also like the store brand "chocolate royale" ones. Milk chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry were all gross to me.

I did eventually start working out more so I stopped with the shakes because I had more calories available. That doesn't mean going to the gym 3x a week and using the elliptical for 30 minutes. I started running most days, so I really needed some more fuel.
  • SeagalDeeDee
    SeagalDeeDee Posts: 153 Member
    too much sugar in those shakes,made me hungrier but I have never tried their foods. good luck & i have sciatica nerve pain so i do understand your ailment.
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Someone else mentioned the extra high protein Slimfast, which do fill you up longer. You could replace a meal or have as a snack and then do the microwave meals with lots of new frozen options. Watch for sodium content.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    I don't like the after taste of the slim fast pre-made shakes but the equate (walmart) ones weren't to bad. I only had the strawberry ones though. I keep a pack of special k protein shakes in my fridge for if i'm hungry and in a hurry now.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    edited January 2017
    I am old and arthritic plus lazy so can't be bothered to prepare and cook meals - or wash up after a meal. So. . . . I am about to start a Slimfast diet.

Comments and experiences please..... I am here to be shot at. :)

Only 3 posts, and yet you seem to know that you're about to be shot at for this post? Hmmm ...
    (edited to add): I see 2 of those posts were your own replies, that makes your opening post your first time posting. Hmmm ...

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    flatlndr wrote: »
    I am old and arthritic plus lazy so can't be bothered to prepare and cook meals - or wash up after a meal. So. . . . I am about to start a Slimfast diet.

Only 3 posts, and yet you seem to know that you're about to be shot at for this post? Hmmm ...
    (edited to add): I see 2 of those posts were your own replies, that makes your opening post your first time posting. Hmmm ...

Lurker? Hmmm....
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member

I looked around in the message boards for almost a year before ever posting myself. hmmmm
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    That sounds really sad. Will your arthritis cut you off from preparing and eating food for the rest of your life?
    Not really but at 83 I try to avoid chores. The last thing I want is for anyone to feel sorry for this lazy old biddy.

I think the others have given you some options to think about. I just wanted to say how refreshing it is to see your humor and honesty. You have my greatest respect for that.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member

I looked around in the message boards for almost a year before ever posting myself. hmmmm

Yes, and I read and listened for a few months before posting anything of note as well, but if one has been around long enough to know that one is going to get shot for a post like this, why would one start a post like this?

That said, and trying to be constructive rather than conspiratorial, the Slimfast path is not a permanent option. Learning to eat foods of the right quantities and quality is a more sustainable way. You may/will lose weight via Slimfast, but I'd be willing to bet that once you go off it and return to your previous way of eating, you will regain the weight, and quite possibly add a few further pounds.
  • weightliftingbarbie
    weightliftingbarbie Posts: 156 Member
    I'm doing slimfast too for 2 weeks then clean eating :)
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Again, thank you all, I see I've 14 ready shakes in my fridge, which say "no added sugar" and I think that may be true because the after taste is yuk!! I get the same sort of taste if I use any kind of artificial sweetener. I can't read what's in them even with my spec's on, because the print is tiny. I will finish the shakes then look for a better brand or if I'm desperate, go back to calorie counting, as I am now here on MFP. Hopefully the shakes will give me a kick start. I want to lose weight to give my arthritic limbs less to carry around. Or/and my coffin lighter to carry. ;) Sorry - I have a warped sense of humour........ :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

I lurked for a while first too. Always do with a new place, and always find it odd when people don't and jump right to starting a thread.

OP is welcome either way, of course!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Yes, and I read and listened for a few months before posting anything of note as well, but if one has been around long enough to know that one is going to get shot for a post like this, why would one start a post like this?

Some people might want to hear arguments or opinions against what they are doing and find it helpful to their thought process, and mean "shot at" somewhat tongue in cheek. At least, I can see posting such a thread.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Again, thank you all, I see I've 14 ready shakes in my fridge, which say "no added sugar" and I think that may be true because the after taste is yuk!! I get the same sort of taste if I use any kind of artificial sweetener. I can't read what's in them even with my spec's on, because the print is tiny. I will finish the shakes then look for a better brand or if I'm desperate, go back to calorie counting, as I am now here on MFP. Hopefully the shakes will give me a kick start. I want to lose weight to give my arthritic limbs less to carry around. Or/and my coffin lighter to carry. ;) Sorry - I have a warped sense of humour........ :)

I don't have any advice on slimfast (when I'm being lazy I just chop a head of romaine, drizzle it with vinaigrette, and add a chunk of deli chicken or rotisserie chicken...or just have a bowl of Cheerios, LOL) but I have to say I love your sense of humor--thanks for the smiles on a drizzly, gray Indiana morning! :)