Options

Replies

• MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    flatlndr wrote: »
    I am old and arthritic plus lazy so can't be bothered to prepare and cook meals - or wash up after a meal. So. . . . I am about to start a Slimfast diet.

Comments and experiences please..... I am here to be shot at. :)

Only 3 posts, and yet you seem to know that you're about to be shot at for this post? Hmmm ...
    (edited to add): I see 2 of those posts were your own replies, that makes your opening post your first time posting. Hmmm ...

I looked around in the message boards for almost a year before ever posting myself. hmmmm

Yes, and I read and listened for a few months before posting anything of note as well, but if one has been around long enough to know that one is going to get shot for a post like this, why would one start a post like this?

Some people might want to hear arguments or opinions against what they are doing and find it helpful to their thought process, and mean "shot at" somewhat tongue in cheek. At least, I can see posting such a thread.
    Tongue in cheek, spot on! Thank you! And I don't mind friendly fire as long as it is friendly. My only excuse is, that I'm a Brit....... Hmmm :D

• MissyCHF
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    That sounds really sad. Will your arthritis cut you off from preparing and eating food for the rest of your life?
    Not really but at 83 I try to avoid chores. The last thing I want is for anyone to feel sorry for this lazy old biddy.

I think the others have given you some options to think about. I just wanted to say how refreshing it is to see your humor and honesty. You have my greatest respect for that.

Many thanks, I try... :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,541 Member
    Options
    If it's something that you can continue to do after reaching goal, then great. If not, then weight regain happens. Liquid diets have the highest incidence of weight regain.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MissyCHF
    Options
    Again, thank you all, I see I've 14 ready shakes in my fridge, which say "no added sugar" and I think that may be true because the after taste is yuk!! I get the same sort of taste if I use any kind of artificial sweetener. I can't read what's in them even with my spec's on, because the print is tiny. I will finish the shakes then look for a better brand or if I'm desperate, go back to calorie counting, as I am now here on MFP. Hopefully the shakes will give me a kick start. I want to lose weight to give my arthritic limbs less to carry around. Or/and my coffin lighter to carry. ;) Sorry - I have a warped sense of humour........ :)

I don't have any advice on slimfast (when I'm being lazy I just chop a head of romaine, drizzle it with vinaigrette, and add a chunk of deli chicken or rotisserie chicken...or just have a bowl of Cheerios, LOL) but I have to say I love your sense of humor--thanks for the smiles on a drizzly, gray Indiana morning! :)

And my thanks to you. :)
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    At 83 I wouldn't not worry about extra pounds. Just enjoy your life.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I am old and arthritic plus lazy so can't be bothered to prepare and cook meals - or wash up after a meal. So. . . . I am about to start a Slimfast diet.

Only 3 posts, and yet you seem to know that you're about to be shot at for this post? Hmmm ...
    (edited to add): I see 2 of those posts were your own replies, that makes your opening post your first time posting. Hmmm ...

I looked around in the message boards for almost a year before ever posting myself. hmmmm

I lurked for a while first too. Always do with a new place, and always find it odd when people don't and jump right to starting a thread.

OP is welcome either way, of course!

So much truth here. At least read the stickies. Sheesh lol
  • 44to44
    44to44 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I'm not 83, but I am hella lazy, so I usually try to prepare a bunch of stuff at the same time so I don't have to "work" at it every day - like grill a bunch of chicken breasts and then eat those for the next several days, or spend a few minutes filling individual baggies with cut up veggies or fruit for snacks so I don't have to think about it for the next several days. Basically trying to maximize the amount of time I can spend being lazy while still eating nutritious foods. :-)

I tried Slimfast many moons ago but didn't find them filling. I had better luck with Nutribars (which shockingly, still exist) because they not only took care of my sweet tooth, but I felt like I was actually eating something. Plus there was something in them that seemed to suck the saliva straight out of my mouth so I ended up drinking tons of water. Unintended benefit!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, and good luck with your plans! It's not what I'd want to do, personally, but if it works for you given your circumstances then go for it. :)
    I want to lose weight to give my arthritic limbs less to carry around. Or/and my coffin lighter to carry. ;) Sorry - I have a warped sense of humour........ :)

I do love your sense of humour (especially as a fellow Brit... :) ) - this reminds me a bit of a friend of mine who was very obese (no idea how heavy, over 300lbs at least). He once told me he planned to nominate the "friends" and relatives he liked least to be his pall-bearers, in order to make them suffer! ;) (He passed away a couple of years ago and I have no idea if that threat was carried through.)
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    You might want to try Chocorite Protein Powder as an alternative if you don't mind mixing it up; a lot of flavors and I like the taste of the ones I've tried. I've used them for smoothies in the past.
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to modify your diet. Protein makes some people hungry. For me, protein is AWESOME. When I was losing a lot, I'd start with a high protein Slim Fast shake in the morning. Drink a cup of coffee at 10am. Eat at 12. If I could keep my calories low in the morning, it allowed me the freedoms I wanted in the evening. Having a schedule helps me WAY more than eating when I feel like it. If you are a lazier type (which I totally am), maybe look into reading the first half of The Fast Food Diet. The actual diet is unrealistic for me (can't afford some of it, don't have some of it), but the information in it was VERY useful in me losing 70 LBs. I didn't even mean to diet when I read it. It just made me rethink my options. I kept to it for years. Good luck to you and your success.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

If you are okay with drinking shakes then fine. The important part for weight loss is calories.

I do not feel satisfied drinking calories, would find shakes boring and expensive and would not stick to it for very long. I don't cook every meal but cook a lot more than some people.

My calorie goal is 1200 without exercise. This is how I typically eat:
    Breakfast- Greek yogurt, granola bars, cereal with milk, sandwich, dinner leftovers, fruit, cottage cheese (about 200-300 calories)
    Lunch- sandwich, salad, or dinner leftovers (about 300-500 calories)
    Dinner- something different every night of the month. (about 500-600 calories) I have a pot of soup once a week usually which reheats well.
    Snacks- things like fruit, chips, popcorn, pretzels, chocolate, cookies, granola bar, carrots, celery, broccoli, trail mix, deviled eggs, pickles, cottage cheese (about 100-300 calories)
  • MissyCHF
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Welcome to MFP, and good luck with your plans! It's not what I'd want to do, personally, but if it works for you given your circumstances then go for it. :)
    I want to lose weight to give my arthritic limbs less to carry around. Or/and my coffin lighter to carry. ;) Sorry - I have a warped sense of humour........ :)

I do love your sense of humour (especially as a fellow Brit... :) ) - this reminds me a bit of a friend of mine who was very obese (no idea how heavy, over 300lbs at least). He once told me he planned to nominate the "friends" and relatives he liked least to be his pall-bearers, in order to make them suffer! ;) (He passed away a couple of years ago and I have no idea if that threat was carried through.)
    Love it!!! Thank you! :)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you have trouble making your own meals because of arthritis and your age, perhaps call your local senior center and ask about meals on wheels?
  • 44to44
    44to44 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    If you have trouble making your own meals because of arthritis and your age, perhaps callbyour local senior center and ask about meals on wheels?

That's a great idea - I used to be a volunteer driver with them and those meals usually looked pretty dang tasty! And they could accommodate for special dietary needs. At least you'd have one hot meal taken care of.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Again, thank you all, I see I've 14 ready shakes in my fridge, which say "no added sugar" and I think that may be true because the after taste is yuk!! I get the same sort of taste if I use any kind of artificial sweetener. I can't read what's in them even with my spec's on, because the print is tiny. I will finish the shakes then look for a better brand or if I'm desperate, go back to calorie counting, as I am now here on MFP. Hopefully the shakes will give me a kick start. I want to lose weight to give my arthritic limbs less to carry around. Or/and my coffin lighter to carry. ;) Sorry - I have a warped sense of humour........ :)

Ha I'm 44 and need glasses to read the print on food labels. I swear the writing is getting tinier every year :lol:

OP i think you're cool, and i hope i have your spunk when I'm your age. Rock on girl :+1:
  • MissyCHF
    Options
    Many thanks Christine & hugs across the pond. :)
  • fitmama282
    fitmama282 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am a slimfast user. I drink slimfast every morning for breakfast. Plus as a meal replacement if needed or a snack. I also add a scoop of protein whey powder to add more protein to make it more filling. I use the powder slimfast & the ready to drink shakes, i also like the Atkins ready to drink shakes. It satisfies me.
  • MissyCHF
    Options
    Thank you fitman, I tried a bottled Slimfast shake this morning with added Linseed it was quite palatable. I, like you, would like a little more protein. I will look on line to see the choice here in the UK. Feeling a little 'off' today - a pretty regular thing, nothing to do with Slimfast.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @smithmssycatsmithiris30 Check out Myprotein, they're a UK based company, with great prices and tons of different options/products. Set aside an hour to go through their website lol as they have so many choices.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I think the plan that helps you learn to eat differently will help you most in the long run. Personally, I don't care for Slimfast, but I do have a protein shake for breakfast (that I make in my blender) and another green smoothie later in the day as a snack because of taste and convenience and nutrients. This is for weekdays, when I'm working and my schedule gets hectic. The shakes are portable and lets me have healthy, yummy food in reach so I don't grab something else out of convenience or starvation.

You don't have to use "micoewavable" pre-made foods to microwave your food. My work lunches consist of chicken or fish, veggies, sometimes potatoes or beans (or both), or rice or quinoa. All thrown in a pyrex dish and microwaved. Just finished "second lunch" and it was a cod fillet, green beans and a little sweet potato. "First lunch" was broccoli, chicken and a little white potato. My freezer is stocked and my refrigerator is virtually empty. I throw the pyrex on my food scale and "tare" it in between adding the ingredients. Easy-peasy!

You do you. It may just a little trial and error to find the foods that work best.