Who drinks diet pop?

Options

Replies

• Troutsy
    Troutsy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I drink diet, but I have a soda stream where I make my own seltzer and then add the cola flavoring
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I was just wondering who still drinks diet pop even with all the studies on aspartame. I drink 2-3 cans a day and am not sure if i should quit it.

Thanks

There are no negative real studies on aspartame. Aspartame is not as scary as some think.

On that note I will say yes, I do, as there have been around 50 years worth of studies on most artificial sweeteners.
    LenGray wrote: »
    I usually have a Diet Dr. Pepper from McD's once or twice a day, but it depends on my mood and how close I am to my weigh-in. Personally, I'm not concerned about the aspartame and only slightly worried about the sodium content causing me to retain water.

Not enough sodium to cause water retention. It barely has any sodium. In fact it's the same amount as water

Um, thanks for the info? :confused:

Why are you confused about this info? Diet drinks don't contain that much sodium at all.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I drink Diet Dr. Pepper, Pepsi Max & diet Dew. Usually 3-4 a day, but I also drink at least a gallon of water a day as well.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options

Why are you confused about this info? Diet drinks don't contain that much sodium at all.

I'm not confused and am aware of the sodium value of diet soda. I was trying to stop people from telling me over and over again how much sodium is in diet soda so they could address the OP's question. It didn't work.

30 mg of sodium causes issues? I guess you must be super sensitive to it as that is around 1% of daily intake.

I'm not worried about my sodium intake. I have no issues with diet soda or the sodium contained inside of it. I apologize for using the word 'slightly'.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking it for over 40 years without any problems :)
  • nanpask
    nanpask Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I drink them but try to drink water instead sometimes especially with meals. I find that I can taste the food better with water.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I usually have a Diet Dr. Pepper from McD's once or twice a day, but it depends on my mood and how close I am to my weigh-in. Personally, I'm not concerned about the aspartame and only slightly worried about the sodium content causing me to retain water.

Not enough sodium to cause water retention. It barely has any sodium. In fact it's the same amount as water

Um, thanks for the info? :confused:

You seem disappointed. Everyone needs a boogeyman, I guess.

Not at all. I log my soda so I'm aware of how much sodium is in it and what effect that amount of sodium has on my body. I just didn't want to be a jerk and say that so I thanked them instead.

The question mark was me wondering why they'd bother bringing that up when I said I was only 'slightly worried' and they don't know what my diet looks like. I assumed that they said it because others might find the information useful and my response seemed like the least smart-*kitten* thing to say in response to cause others to stop replying to a non-relevant post.

TL;DR Please respond to the OP's question. I have no issues with diet pop/soda.

Your response was cryptic. "I'm aware" would have worked without triggering a whole line of inquiry.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    nanpask wrote: »
    I drink them but try to drink water instead sometimes especially with meals. I find that I can taste the food better with water.

This is interesting. I drink Diet Coke, but almost exclusively with a meal. I like the way it contrasts with the usually saltier contents of my food. I really don't like to drink water with a meal. I'm not sure why. Different tastes. :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    nanpask wrote: »

This is interesting. I drink Diet Coke, but almost exclusively with a meal. I like the way it contrasts with the usually saltier contents of my food. I really don't like to drink water with a meal. I'm not sure why. Different tastes. :)

Same here. I rarely drink soda all by itself, it's almost always with a meal.
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I generally drink one or two Diet Pepsi per day; I am at my goal weight and I don't crave sweets at all.
    I definitely don't buy into the theory that aspartame (or Splenda) makes one crave sugar (or whatever the hell the theory is these days)
  • Supawilkins
    Supawilkins Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking pop it ruins your body structure and development.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    It's not pop or soda it's fizzy drinks
    I drink coke zero, diet coke if coke zero not available
    Like diet sprite also
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    Options
    Posted this before but here is a video on artificial sweeteners by Dr Layne Norton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dod6bUZYz4w
  • fitchick37
    fitchick37 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I quit Diet Coke a couple of weeks ago, not deliberately but I got sick and just haven't gone back to my 4 cans a day habit. I'm having the odd sugar free Sprite or Fanta but it's an occasional thing rather than every day.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    maggiepz wrote: »
    my endocrinologist says to limit it to one or two a day. The problem is that sometimes your body can confuse artificial sweeteners with the real thing. Personally I know the more I drank diet Coke the more I craved it, just like my sweet or starchy carbs. I was drinking probably the equivalent of 1-2 liters a day and considered myself a diet Coke addict. I would get extremely agitated if someone dared to drink my last one, and go into a rage, demanding that someone better go get me some, my craving was that bad. I still love the stuff but am satisfied with one or two a day and have noticed I don't feel so bloated anymore, I guess from all those darn bubbles! Now I can drink for pleasure instead of needing a diet Coke fix. I find I really like herbal tea instead.

Well, yes, drinking it in moderation probably does mean limiting to one or two per day - I dont buy into all this 'confusing your body' stuff - but 2 Litres a day does seem rather beyond moderation to me.

In answer to OP - yes I drink it - soft drink it is called here, but I use the term 'soda' on MFP so others know what I mean.
    My intake varies - but probably 2 - 3 cans per week.

Most days all l drink is unsweetened weak coffee (with small amount of milk) and plain water