Beautiful Behaviors - January 2017

Options
This thread will be for people who are focusing on creating a set of gorgeous habits that support a healthy lifestyle.

Weight loss is a byproduct, and not the focus. We will practice self-care by eating healthy foods, moving our bodies, drinking enough water, and other activities that make us FEEL GOOD without harmful effects.

For example, taking an hour with your current book on your favorite lounge chair is a great way to take care of yourself. Get a massage or facial, spend time with a friend, crafting… all good ways to make us feel good without the harmful effects of immediate gratification activities like overeating or indulging in other unhealthy activities. It’s all about taking care of ourselves and loving ourselves and making ourselves happy EVEN IF we are not at a weight we love right now.

Yes, we want to lose weight, but there’s more to life than that. Sometimes giving yourself a foot massage will keep you from the donut. Sometimes it won’t but you will still feel better.

This is a judgment free zone. Let’s support each other and leave the negativity offline. I’m tired of beating myself up about my size. I want to plan to do the best I can and not feel guilty about life getting in the way.

I’m a big believer in baby steps, and setting realistic goals, and celebrating every little success! No reason we can’t enjoy the journey to a healthier lifestyle, no reason we have to feel “wrong” because we are where we are.

If you like the way this sounds, please introduce yourself in this thread. Share whatever you like and come back often! I look forward to meeting people with similar attitudes towards life.

Replies

• jessiquoi
    jessiquoi Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone! Today I have to go back to the office, after being home for a week, and it's the first time I'll be driving there from the new house. It's also the first time I have to dress and clean up like I'm going to the office since we moved here... it's been pretty much like camping.

Finally, it's the day I'm going on the scale. I try to live life without expectations, because expectations are what lead to disappointment... but I have to admit, I'm expecting to be very sad about the number on the scale. Luckily, I get over stuff fast. I know seeing the scale feedback will help me kickstart into a higher gear.

More later, I have to go get ready.

jess
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    I'm so happy I could dance, if I weren't in my office! I got on the scale this morning, and in the two months of not weighing and not paying attention to my food intake or movement or water I only gained 4 pounds! I can take that off this month, and that's my goal.

I know that the last couple of weeks of tracking my food and working on water and movement helped keep that number as small as it is. Thank you all for joining me on this journey!

Today my biggest challenge will be drinking my water, as I am not set up yet with a Brita to purify the water here on base. I'll buy at least one bottle from the machine, and drink a lot of unsweetened iced tea with my meals to make up for it.

What challenges are you facing today? What's your plan of attack?

later,
    jess
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

I am back in the office as well, today. Thank you for making another forum. I just caught up on the last one, and moved on over! Hopefully the others will follow suit!

@jessiquoi -- actually dressing up, going to work, and feeling like yourself again is such a good thing. You're bound to have a great day! Don't let the scale get to you - 4lbs is so good!! It is good to see that even when you're "maintaining" persay, you still are able to have complete control! That is awesome!!!

Today I bought Tim Hortons for breakfast... so I am making it a goal that it is my only time this week. Baby steps! I am also going to drink all of my water, I have about five bottles to work with. I am working at my other job tonight, so it will be a long day! Going to focus on just getting through it. Tomorrow I will bring a gym bag to work, then move after i'm out. We're supposed to get some yucky arctic weather in Michigan, so just will be cautious and safe!

I hope you all have a great day!
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    hey, Libby, I had Tim Hortons for breakfast too! I'm psyched that MFP has tim's stuff on their menu so I can enter it exactly. it's the only place I can walk to from my office, so i'll be having tim for lunch as well. I had the breakfast grilled wrap with bacon, and for lunch i'll have the large chili. both accompanied with a large unsweetened iced tea.

actually, I just finished my first tea, so I think i'll put on some steps and go get another! later, all
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    I'm proud of myself. I've been down to Tim Horton's three times so far today (bkfst, iced tea and lunch), and resisted the urge to spend calories on baked goods! their banana nut muffins are my nemesis. not today! :smiley:
  • woznube7
    Options
    Awesome job!!

I ended up getting Wendys... so I am about 340 cals. over. Just planning on water for the rest of the day, I am pretty full. If anything, i'll snack small... if I am hungry. Planning on just going to sleep when I get home, which will help resist temptation!

Tomorrow i'll aim to stay within my calories. But I am glad that it is only by a few hundred today, and not a thousand!

Timmy's is my go to. Although it still isn't "the healthiest", I'd rather go there than the other delicious "bad foods" I usually pick. It is great that it is so close, but you WALK to it... so you're getting a two for one!
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    Tim's is actually in the lobby of my building, so I'm only walking to the elevator and through the lobby and back, but it does add on about 500 steps round trip. I am only making about 2500 - 3500 steps/day, and working on increasing that starting next week. this week is all about staying within my calorie allotment for me. I can only realllllly focus on improving one thing at a time without getting overwhelmed.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Evening all, it's been a busy day here today with a lot of procrastination on my part.

Nice work guys! Every step counts @jessiquoi!! :)

I'm working at home (I work for myself) on some material that isn't exactly engaging my (rather short) attention span and I'm finding that I desperately want to eat. Not because I'm hungry, but because I'm bored and want a distraction.

Instead of going to the biscuit tin though, I've mixed up a protein shake and even though I'm still unengaged with my work, I'm resisting the temptation to eat through my boredom.

I've also set myself a 30 minute timer on my watch to make sure I get up and move around so I'm not sat still for too long!

I've had some nice compliments and feedback today - one of the trainers in the gym told me that he loved my workouts, I do them perfectly and it's nice to see a woman lifting like I do. I've decided to keep a jar of the things I'm grateful for on a daily basis, I think that will be my first :)

Hope you're all having a more productive day than I am!!
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    @Squidgeypaws007 , I have a short attention span too. I am in the office taking a course on advanced Microsoft Project functionality, and I can't go for more than 5 minutes without taking a break and looking at something else (like this!).

congrats on the compliments! and excellent job avoiding the biscuits. if I had a cookie tin filled in the house, I would be unable to avoid it... the cookies would call to me, so my only defense is to not have ANY around.

I like the idea of setting a timer to remind you to get up and move. I'm going to think about that one too. although if I drink all my water, I kind of HAVE to get up and move every hour or so, if you know what I mean. :)

jess
  • woznube7
    Options
    @Squidgeypaws007, sometimes I wish to be able to work from home, but I think I too, also run into that situation where I want a "distraction" because I don't really want to do anything! Fantastic job by replacing a meal with a shake! That is SELF-CONTROL at its finest!

I am going to get up in a few and take the Christmas Tree down in the office, that will let me move around a little bit. I had a workout putting it up, so I am ready for the work out for taking it down!!

@jessiquoi, oh my gosh, right in your office building? No way!! I have two, but my work is in between them. The one I usually stop for, is on my way to work. The Wendy's is down the street -- which maybe once it's warm out, i'll walk to get it. That way I am moving, and still getting lunch!

Not doing to well with drinking my water, going to try to drink some more now and get that train moving!
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    drink that water, Libby! I'm practically floating today. :)

I am hungry, and I am determined not to eat until I get home after work. wish me luck!
  • woznube7
    Options
    Good luck!!! Not too much longer until the work day is over!

I just took down the Christmas tree and ornaments (I turned the heater on before I did that and then had to turn it off). Now I am drinking some water!!
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    jessiquoi wrote: »
    @Squidgeypaws007 , I have a short attention span too. I am in the office taking a course on advanced Microsoft Project functionality, and I can't go for more than 5 minutes without taking a break and looking at something else (like this!).

congrats on the compliments! and excellent job avoiding the biscuits. if I had a cookie tin filled in the house, I would be unable to avoid it... the cookies would call to me, so my only defense is to not have ANY around.

I like the idea of setting a timer to remind you to get up and move. I'm going to think about that one too. although if I drink all my water, I kind of HAVE to get up and move every hour or so, if you know what I mean. :)

jess
    woznube7 wrote: »
    @Squidgeypaws007, sometimes I wish to be able to work from home, but I think I too, also run into that situation where I want a "distraction" because I don't really want to do anything! Fantastic job by replacing a meal with a shake! That is SELF-CONTROL at its finest!

I'm so glad I'm not alone here, I don't think I really thought the whole "working for self, working from home" thing through properly, haha :D

Thank you!! I managed to achieve my macro goals yesterday, second day in a row. I found an app which tallies things, so I'm keeping a visible display of my goals now!!

The timer is "sort of" working - it goes off but of course, since I'm so distractable, if there's something else going on I forget about it. Still, I think it's made me move more over the course of the day.

Good job to both of you on the water front!! :)
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    jessiquoi wrote: »

Ahahaha, very much so xD I think most of my daily steps come from going to the bathroom, hehe.
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    Good morning, all! Today is one of my telework days, and I'm sitting in the middle of the construction site typing away.

Today, the plan is to install my shower and get the hot water to work, both really high on my priority list, as you can imagine. Driving to the gym to shower is not my favorite way to start the day.

I had a great day yesterday, food wise, and stayed within my allotted calories. Didn't do too badly with the macros, either. I plan to follow that up with another great day today! I'm looking forward to feeling hungry again when my old morning snack time comes around and resisting the urge to graze all day!

That's what I'm going to focus on all week. Really concentrating on staying within my caloric limits, and getting myself to stop being hungry all the time. Next week, I will focus on stepping up the stepping!

What's your main focus today? Do you have a plan on how you're going to proceed as time goes on?

have a great day,
    jess
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    well, i made it through to lunch without grazing or snacking, so yay me!

i'm missing the interaction this thread had before the new year. i hope people are just taking a break. it helps me so much to have the group mentality thing going on.

jess
  • aleahurst
    aleahurst Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    It's January 4. January 3 was a day of rest from my goals, but was still a good day. The urge for excessive sweets was met by a purchase of bananas, pineapple, and gala (my favorite) apples. MFP recorded high sugar, but compared to grazing on ice cream, I am satisfied. I slept exceptionally well afterwards.

Frozen brown bananas can help with a craving for ice cream. I am seeking a more nutritious replacement for potato chips. Ideas are welcome.

What's your focus for today? Mine is to tidy my bedroom until my tiny space contains only what honors God and human life, and feels rustically elegant. Yes, I've read Marie Kondo. After at least 8 years of being ill and going to work anyway, my home shows many signs of neglect. There is much to do and Konmarie is inspiring.

Peace and joy to all in the new year.
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    frozen bananas are a great base for an ice cream substitute, also! there are recipes on the web that i found and tried with almond milk. good for you, Lea, for the fruit! i can't wait to get my refrigerator this Friday and start food shopping again!
  • woznube7
    Options
    Good Afternoon!!!

It is windy and cold, here. The wind is brutal. They aren't lying when they say Michigan is Top Five for worst winters.

I have about 130 cals left for the day. I did so well, but then gave in and had a pop. I have not had any fast food today. So having a pop i'll take. One baby step at a time.

Jess -- You are such a trooper with all of this construction going on. Way to be proactive!! I am looking into Macros and Micros again. I didn't really understand them before, but am thinking if I can not focus so much on calories and just focus on foods that make me full and are good for me, I know that would be beneficial. One step at a time, i'll just keep working on the little things.

Someone advised me to download the app. "Happy Scales" and I finally did. It is neat. Takes your weight, you set your goal, set how much you want to lose weekly, and it tells you the rest. It predicts when you should meet your first "milestone". I have "17" milestones to hit. I am hoping this will help keep me focused!

I hope everyone comes to this thread. It has been kind of quiet!!