Ok so if you have a Calorie deficit everyday does that guarantee weight loss??

Options
123457»

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Also, important to note..

CICO absolutely works if losing weight is your only goal; 100% it works.

The problem with a CICO only regime is that it doesn't give a monkey about what weight you're losing, you're just losing weight - be it muscle, fat; it really doesn't care.

Unless you're trying to go for the worst nutritional profile ever, like 90/5/5 ultra vegan while also not exercising at all, that is of no concern to anyone who has more than vanity weight they want to lose.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Over time, yes. Unfortunately there is no clear answer to how much time? If you have a deficit today you are not guaranteed to weigh less in the morning. That is too little time passing to negate the natural effects of fluctuating water weight. I'd wager that if 3-5 pounds is 'normal water weight fluctuation' then in order to guarantee a weight loss 'over time' you'd need enough time to pass for a deficit to accumulate worth 3-5 pounds. A weight loss on the scale could appear sooner, but in terms of guaranteeing that is my logic.

Bear with me, I'm working this out as I type lol.

So assuming a natural 3-5 pounds fluctuation, eating at a 500/day deficit (1 pound weight loss per week as a goal) then you SHOULD see a scale reading lower in 3-5 weeks than it reads now. Of course this assumes that the 500/day deficit is accurate and it is worth mentioning that as humans we are likely to have errors in the CI or CO portion of the equation.

Wanna make sure I ain't wasting my time

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Over time, yes. Unfortunately there is no clear answer to how much time? If you have a deficit today you are not guaranteed to weigh less in the morning. That is too little time passing to negate the natural effects of fluctuating water weight. I'd wager that if 3-5 pounds is 'normal water weight fluctuation' then in order to guarantee a weight loss 'over time' you'd need enough time to pass for a deficit to accumulate worth 3-5 pounds. A weight loss on the scale could appear sooner, but in terms of guaranteeing that is my logic.

Bear with me, I'm working this out as I type lol.

So assuming a natural 3-5 pounds fluctuation, eating at a 500/day deficit (1 pound weight loss per week as a goal) then you SHOULD see a scale reading lower in 3-5 weeks than it reads now. Of course this assumes that the 500/day deficit is accurate and it is worth mentioning that as humans we are likely to have errors in the CI or CO portion of the equation.

Wanna make sure I ain't wasting my time

Actually, you worked it out well ;) I think this should be required reading for every newbie, and it would save dozens of redundant posts a day.