When you have 814 calories left and less than 2 hours left in your logging day...

Options

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    800 calories of cheese? It would be days before I pooped again.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    My response would depend on a number of factors.

With that number of calories left, how many calories did you actually eat? Is it already over 1200? Is it anywhere near your regular MFP goal? Does that include extra exercise calories? Is this typical of all your days, or could you perhaps look at your calories over a week instead of separate days?

Look at you taking things all serious. At the time of the original post I had 814 calories left. I think I had eaten around 1100. It included a little under 700 exercise calories. It is not typical, because I live high desert and rarely shovel snow. I do look at my calories over the week. Also, you do know I have an open diary, right?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Nutella (or your choice of) MILKSHAKE!!!
  • cerise_noir
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Why not 10 pm? Nothing wrong with eating at 10

There are plenty of scientific reasons; but hey, if it works for you, full power.

No, there isn't. Your body doesn't recognize time, and it certainly doesn't stop digesting when you go to sleep.

I eat sometimes, up to an hour before sleep. It does not interrupt my sleep, or give me any discomfort. I've lost quite a bit of weight and still lose.
    You guys are no fun. It's not often I get an extra 800 calories to indulge on.

No! You shouldn't be thinking like that. Be proud that you worked hard to burn off the calories you already have. They're not "earned" calories.

A lot of times when I'm not hungry, I just input Misc calories so I can get my projected goal.
    Um...What?
    MFP already has a deficit built in, so eating a portion of exercise calories is actually recommended. So, if you're not eating any calories back and burn a large amount, you are increasing your deficit even further and aren't fueling your body appropriately.

Also, OP didn't specify that she earned the calories from exercise. Perhaps she ate light and was very busy during the day? ;)

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Ultimately, eat only when hungry; regardless of what the calorie count says. Listen to your body.

I'd disagree with this in a few cases.

1. You need to eat a minimum number of calories to be healthy, and even if not hungry, you should eat at least this much.

2. There's a school of thought with some very intelligent and respected adherents, such as Dr. Yoni Freedhoff, that would say you should eat to prevent future hunger. The idea is that if you wait until you're really hungy, you'll often end up eating more in total than if you ate to prevent yourself from becoming really hungry in the first place.

The second point won't really matter as much if you're counting calories - meal timing doesn't matter for weight loss, calories do - but some people may find it easier to stick to a deficit if they are eating smaller but more frequently.

Sure; all good advice; but at 10PM at night?

Why not 10 pm? Nothing wrong with eating at 10

I just ate at 10 pm too (it's not that uncommon for me, although I usually eat dinner at 9). I'd only had 900 calories so far and was hungry, so glad it's not actually bad to eat.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    800 calories of cheese? It would be days before I pooped again.

I'm not sure I would eat 800 calories of cheese in one sitting, but I could certainly eat 800 calories of various cheeses spread out through the day. Omelet with cheddar for breakfast. Grilled American cheese for lunch. Mozzarella, fruit, and nuts for a snack. Tacos and beans with queso fresco for dinner. Brie on French bread for another snack. I'd still be able to poop though. Have you tried eating more fiber with your cheese?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Cookies, chocolate, or potato chips, latter depending on if I have the sodium room.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    "When you have 814 calories left and less than 2 hours left in your logging day..."

Never happens. I prelog my whole day every morning. I eat in a fairly predictible way every 3-5 hours starting at 8 AM. I stop eating around 9 PM. I have 1200 calories without exercise and maybe get up to 1400-1600 with exercise.
    This is how I typically eat:
    Breakfast- Greek yogurt, granola bars, cereal with milk, sandwich, dinner leftovers, fruit, cottage cheese (about 200-300 calories)
    Lunch- sandwich, salad, or dinner leftovers (about 300-500 calories)
    Dinner- something different every night of the month. (about 500-600 calories) I have soup once a week usually.
    Snacks- things like fruit, chips, popcorn, pretzels, chocolate, cookies, granola bar, carrots, celery, broccoli, trail mix, deviled eggs, pickles, cottage cheese (about 100-300 calories)

If I had 800 calories maybe I'd have something like a sandwich, pizza, nuts, nachos, popcorn, or a baked potato. I don't know. Depends on if I had met my protein goal or not. I don't do shakes and don't have a massive sweet tooth.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    save it for tomorrow when youre actually hungry
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I ate all the Babybell cheeses in the house. What's next?

Save them for a day when you are out of calories but still hungry.
  • cerise_noir
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    hmm..
    A wheel of camembert or brie (the size at Aldi are ~800 calories).
    A pint of ice cream (not sure how many calories).
    A bottle of wine

I like you.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I generally grab the blue bunny sweet freedom ice cream, top it with some shaved dark chocolate and go to town. That easily kills about 500 cals, is a good source of fiber, and tastes beyond yummy.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Then MFP cut me off. Possibly related to the adult protein shake which I just half spilled on my couch. I have zero tolerance for alcohol.

I'm curious what your recipe for this is. I've never thought to "adult" my protein shake.