Someone discouraged me.

Options
1235»

Replies

• WayTooHonest
    WayTooHonest Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Pat him on the head and tell him to take a long walk off a short pier.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    - One last question though, I've lost weight so far exercising consistently and eating less, but how can I know if actually just eating less without exercising actually resulted in my weight loss? But then, I'm sure the exercising was also a major part of it. I just wish I was sure it wasn't JUST the dieting.

The answer is, what difference does it make? You're succeeding, stop overthinking things and get on with it. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Thanks for your feedback. I agree with you. But I'm saying if diet alone made me lose this weight, and not the exercise, then why would I continue to exercise as that would be unnecessary in my weight loss journey. I'd save a little time and energy, you know?

If you're speaking purely in terms of weight loss, that would be absolutely correct. In that context, exercise is completely unnecessary and many people have successfully lost weight without exercising. You can lay on the couch and watch TV all day and still lose weight as long as you maintain a caloric deficit.

If improved body composition and overall health are any part of your goals (and they should be), then it would be a good idea to include an exercise component in your weight loss efforts. Read my response to you in your other, nearly identical thread elsewhere in the forums.

So then the guy who said exercise is unnecessary, in the original post, was correct somewhat... But exercise at least speeds up weight loss, right? In order to get that caloric deficit. The more calories you burn from exercise = the bigger the calorie deficit as long as you don't eat it all back up. So in conclusion, exercise is a weight loss booster.

Not really, I mean you could just eat less food too, and that would speed up the proccess as well. You are looking at it all wrong. You lose weight by eating less calories than you burn, it can be from reducing your diet, or increasing your calorie burn. Doing exercise usually results in a higher calorie burn, but there are plenty of out there that workout and still gain weight. What people are trying to tell you, is that yes you can definitely lose weight by just easting less food, but a lot of people choose to add exercise in there, because it makes them feel more healthy.

So the answer to you earlier question is that you lost weight by eating less calories, that is a fact, no matter if you workout or not, that is why you lost weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    - One last question though, I've lost weight so far exercising consistently and eating less, but how can I know if actually just eating less without exercising actually resulted in my weight loss? But then, I'm sure the exercising was also a major part of it. I just wish I was sure it wasn't JUST the dieting.

The answer is, what difference does it make? You're succeeding, stop overthinking things and get on with it. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Thanks for your feedback. I agree with you. But I'm saying if diet alone made me lose this weight, and not the exercise, then why would I continue to exercise as that would be unnecessary in my weight loss journey. I'd save a little time and energy, you know?

But if the exercising was a big part of my weight loss too, then of course it's worth continuing. I just meant that I didn't want to keep doing it if it didn't really contribute to weight loss, since that was the main reason I started an exercise routine. Hope that makes sense.

There are numerous health benefits to regular exercise and there are many studies that indicate exercise could possibly be more important than your diet for your overall health. Losing weight and maintaining a healthy weight is just one small part of being healthy.

I've been maintaining going on 4 years this spring...I exercise regularly...obviously I'm not losing weight...so has nothing to do with weight loss...everything to do with health and general wellness and fitness.

So you lost your initial weight all on diet? And you're not losing weight with exercise now in maintenance because you eat normally/not on a diet, right? Meaning your calories gained from food is canceled by exercise, hence maintenance.

You could say that...I exercised while losing weight and there was the benefit of additional energy expenditure...but I didn't use it to expand my deficit...it just meant I could eat more and accomplish the same thing as eating less with no exercise.

My MFP goal to lose 1 Lb per week was around 1,900 calories...that's a no exercise calorie target. That would mean that MFP estimates my maintenance without exercise to be around 2,400 calories which is about right.

Regular exercise increases my maintenance from 2,400 calories to anywhere between 2,800 and 3,000 calories...so I regularly ate 2,300 - 2,500 calories to lose that same 1 Lb per week.

In maintenance, I eat 2,800 - 3,000 calories and I maintain. If I want or need to cut, I just drop calories...My training doesn't change...as training goes, I follow a plan that has been laid out by my coach for cycling and lifting...I follow the plan regardless of my weight management objectives. I train for my general health and well being and fitness...and I like to race.
  • Fatvaporizer
    Fatvaporizer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Moral of the story: The more you move (exercise and other activities) and the less you eat, the more calorie deficit you have, which leads to weight loss/fat burn.

Conclusion: Exercise is a calorie burning method for weight loss. Use it or not, it's beneficial and helpful for weight loss if you do, but not mandatory.

Just had to lecture myself and set it in stone lol.

With the proviso that you don't take it to ridiculous extremes. Your body needs nutrition and you have to fuel your workouts. Eating too little can have a lot of negative effects and working out too much can lead to the potential for over-reaching/overtraining and injuries. Use a little common sense and moderate both your deficit and your exercise. Don't fall into the "More is always better" mindset.

Yeah.
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'd say that it's 80% diet and 20% exercise. HOWEVER, cardio makes you more fit, strength training (weights) makes you more toned and stronger, and the combination of better diet AND exercise will boost your weight loss -- and make you feel better. Your balance and posture will be improved with consistent exercise. AND, as a note for the future, exercise is vital/crucial for keeping off the weight once you get to your goal weight. Speaking from experience, I have been below my goal weight for four years now and am in the gym five days a week. Had I not continued the exercise, I am certain I would have gained back much, if not all, the weight. I still eat mindfully, but I can "get away" with an occasional treat. Apart from all of this, a consistent exercise program will keep you healthier into your older years. As you age, you want to maintain your balance, avoid diabetes, high blood pressure, and the other chronic diseases -- if at all possible. And, you will have more energy and ability to have an active life style, not trapped on your couch.... Best wishes to you -- and don't let this kind of negative and ill-informed person sway your motivation to be your best self!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,930 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. So I've come to the conclusion that first of all, this guy is wrong - exercise definitely helps in weight loss. Diet alone can cause weight loss, but a combination of both speeds the process up and is more efficient, i.e, exercising and burning a specific amount of calories from it makes you not have to eat too little just to create a caloric deficit, which is essential for weight loss, which happens once you reach 3500 kcal.

So my conclusion is someone who just diets without exercise could lose weight, but it'd take longer for them and they would have to eat even less than someone who does both exercise and dieting.

- One last question though, I've lost weight so far exercising consistently and eating less, but how can I know if actually just eating less actually resulted in my weight loss, without the exercise? But then, I'm sure the exercising was also a major part of it, at least I'd like to believe that because I had to work my butt off and sweat day to day. I just wish I was sure it wasn't JUST the dieting.

I lost around 50lbs without exercise being a factor and I lost at a steady rate of around 1-2lbs per week. And yes I would have eaten less calories than someone who was exercising and eating their exercise calories. Now in maintenance I have around 1,800 calories to maintain, with exercise still not a factor. I control my weight 100% by my calorie intake and it works well for me :)

But you ARE exercising - just not in a gym:
    I'm in excellent health now without intentional exercise factored in, but I'm definitely more active now than I used to be. I am more purposeful in doing things like yard work, taking family walks, trying new things that are physical (counting the days till spring so I can finally buy my kayak!) etc. Being more active is good for health, but that doesn't mean you have to go to the gym or follow a structured exercise program/use machines etc.

I'm getting vibes that OP may not actually be enjoying all the time she's spending at the gym exercising? If that's the case it's good to know that yes you can definitely lose weight without it but it's also important to figure out other ways to be more active in ways that you do enjoy :)

Your body burns calories from activity whether it is 'intentional' or 'unintentional.'
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I run three times a week, most people are ok with that - I enjoy running, it has improved my fitness and confidence. Every so often, someone will say "you don't want to run, its bad for your knees" or "the man who invented jogging died young of a heart attack". Most of these people are well meaning but they have their own issues and are feeling defensive. If you want to exercise, keep doing it. Do it all for you
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Benefits of exercise (why I workout even when I don't want to): you are allowing your immune system to circulate and work effectively, increasing bone density, toning your body, improving and stabilizing mood, reducing stress, building muscle, encouraging healthy bowel activity/eliminating waste from your body, getting better quality sleep, improving your short term memory, and as an added bonus get a great complexion and get to eat another snack or two.

You may both lose weight but one of you will be much healthier in the end.

This is brill.

I have been increasingly caring for my ageing father who has done no exercise for decades. I now realise how much I have to change NOW to avoid becoming just like him as I (hopefully ) age. Exercise is something I have rarely enjoyed but this post sums up why it is so important.
    Thank you
  • tmharrison1985
    tmharrison1985 Posts: 39 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I don't understand why some people are saying that you shouldn't have further the conversation or that you shouldn't be bothered by what they said. People just get under your skin and you should be proud of your accomplishments and people should be proud of them for you. Not always the case just ignore what people say and continue what you're doing. I Get upset and take offense to things I probably shouldn't because im very sensitive to what others say... it's hard for me to ignore it but sometimes that's just what you have to do. Don't let others negative comments bring you down obviously what you are doing is working :-) Just stick to it and try to avoid toxic people.