Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is the 'fat acceptance' movement a good thing?

Options

Replies

• Elsiebeane
    Elsiebeane Posts: 96 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    never mind.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Elsiebeane wrote: »
    So, you are a doctor? You PERSONALLY know what it is like to have hypothrodism ?? You are saying besides busting my *kitten* for months and not only NOT losing weight but gaining four pounds had nothing to do with my thyroid?? It was only because I was not in a deficit? It had nothing to do with UNDIAGNOSED thyroid issues??
    I wish I had your black and white view of weight loss. Because UNTIL you walk one day in the life of a person with thyroid disorder, DO NOT tell me all I have to do is watch my calories.

Look, I am a healthy male who cuts on kcals that make petite women cry about being hungry. I won't go into the details, but I don't need to walk a day in your shoes to know what extreme caloric deficits feel like. I just happen to get better results with the same numbers than you could.

Clearly, you now know there's a problem, and need to adjust for it, or get the problem solved via hormone therapy.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    So, you are a doctor? You PERSONALLY know what it is like to have hypothrodism ?? You are saying besides busting my *kitten* for months and not only NOT losing weight but gaining four pounds had nothing to do with my thyroid?? It was only because I was not in a deficit? It had nothing to do with UNDIAGNOSED thyroid issues??
    I wish I had your black and white view of weight loss. Because UNTIL you walk one day in the life of a person with thyroid disorder, DO NOT tell me all I have to do is watch my calories.

Look, I am a healthy male who cuts on kcals that make petite women cry about being hungry. I won't go into the details, but I don't need to walk a day in your shoes to know what extreme caloric deficits feel like. I just happen to get better results with the same numbers than you could.

Clearly, you now know there's a problem, and need to adjust for it, or get the problem solved via hormone therapy.

wait...why are you on 1200 a day?

Because long cuts anger me. I get it over with fast, so I can get back to real eating and training before my strength has a chance to fall off.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    ebaroldy wrote: »
    You ever watch that show- my big fat fabulous life? I think that helped me decide how I felt about it! The girl is all about accepting all body types in her dance class- which I think is great, I hate hearing of heavier people being fat shamed when they're being active!

And made a music video where she holds down a thin woman and forces cupcakes into her mouth. For Whitney Way Thore, there is no acceptance of thin, fit bodies.

I've seen her show. It's actually one of my hate-watch pleasures. It's an unending stream of her attempting to do things that are not a huge deal for someone who is healthy and normal weight, but for her result in embarrassing and injurious results. She cannot ride a bicycle for two miles on flat, paved loop. Can't stand still on a pair of skis on level ground. Can't pick the shampoo up in the shower without throwing out her back. Can't complete forty minutes of a dance-a-thon without losing consciousness and heading to the ER via ambulance. Can't fit into a Mazda Miata without the convertible top open. Can't walk the distance of a St. Patrick's Day parade. Can't fit into one airplane seat.

Then there's the constant crying. In every episode, there's something that she's crying about. Her life seems the exact opposite of fabulous.

I also know that some people have a thyroid issue or such that can go undiagnosed and cause weight gain,

Not unless they're eating more calories than they're burning.

and just with how thin models are and children thinking if they don't look a certain way that they are ugly or fat- I think we should accept all body types, and be positive and encouraging because we don't know what others people's battles are

Much like I will not be promoting meth mouth acceptance or alcoholic liver cirrhosis acceptance, I will never be promoting obesity acceptance.

... but in that show I mentioned, she passes out in one episode and is told she has to get ahold of her weight because it's killing her.. THAT is not something I think gets people- you cannot encourage a healthy lifestyle when it's a hazard to your health like that! The line has to be drawn somewhere, that's my point- morbidly obese is definitely where the line should be drawn about!

I draw it at overweight. It's why I am not anymore, and why I continue to strive to optimize my weight, bodyfat, lean mass and cardiovascular health. Because that's the best thing that I can do for my body. That is how I love my body. By making it the most healthy, finely tuned machine that I can.

Miatas actually have pretty strict weight restrictions. She has no business in one anyway.

ETA: from the inside of my door:

She got on a horse, which is abusive to the horse since they should never carry more than 20% of their own weight. I despise her and consider her a horrible person.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    ebaroldy wrote: »
    You ever watch that show- my big fat fabulous life? I think that helped me decide how I felt about it! The girl is all about accepting all body types in her dance class- which I think is great, I hate hearing of heavier people being fat shamed when they're being active!

And made a music video where she holds down a thin woman and forces cupcakes into her mouth. For Whitney Way Thore, there is no acceptance of thin, fit bodies.

I've seen her show. It's actually one of my hate-watch pleasures. It's an unending stream of her attempting to do things that are not a huge deal for someone who is healthy and normal weight, but for her result in embarrassing and injurious results. She cannot ride a bicycle for two miles on flat, paved loop. Can't stand still on a pair of skis on level ground. Can't pick the shampoo up in the shower without throwing out her back. Can't complete forty minutes of a dance-a-thon without losing consciousness and heading to the ER via ambulance. Can't fit into a Mazda Miata without the convertible top open. Can't walk the distance of a St. Patrick's Day parade. Can't fit into one airplane seat.

Then there's the constant crying. In every episode, there's something that she's crying about. Her life seems the exact opposite of fabulous.

I also know that some people have a thyroid issue or such that can go undiagnosed and cause weight gain,

Not unless they're eating more calories than they're burning.

and just with how thin models are and children thinking if they don't look a certain way that they are ugly or fat- I think we should accept all body types, and be positive and encouraging because we don't know what others people's battles are

Much like I will not be promoting meth mouth acceptance or alcoholic liver cirrhosis acceptance, I will never be promoting obesity acceptance.

... but in that show I mentioned, she passes out in one episode and is told she has to get ahold of her weight because it's killing her.. THAT is not something I think gets people- you cannot encourage a healthy lifestyle when it's a hazard to your health like that! The line has to be drawn somewhere, that's my point- morbidly obese is definitely where the line should be drawn about!

I draw it at overweight. It's why I am not anymore, and why I continue to strive to optimize my weight, bodyfat, lean mass and cardiovascular health. Because that's the best thing that I can do for my body. That is how I love my body. By making it the most healthy, finely tuned machine that I can.

Miatas actually have pretty strict weight restrictions. She has no business in one anyway.

ETA: from the inside of my door:

She got on a horse, which is abusive to the horse since they should never carry more than 20% of their own weight. I despise her and consider her a horrible person.

Oh, so the horse thing wasn't a joke? Holy hell, that's cruel.
  • heiliskrimsli
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    It least she's not getting on a horse. The Mazda can't feel pain.

About that: https://goo.gl/images/fyhjBW
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

What kind of responsible horse owner would allow that? Whitney is awful, let me state that right up front, but so is the owner of the horse who allowed that.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

wait...why are you on 1200 a day?

Because long cuts anger me. I get it over with fast, so I can get back to real eating and training before my strength has a chance to fall off.

oh ok good lol. I was gonna say how the *kitten* are you lifting on 1200

I am still lifting on that, and I've actually managed to still hit a couple of PRs.
  • heiliskrimsli
    Options

What kind of responsible horse owner would allow that? Whitney is awful, let me state that right up front, but so is the owner of the horse who allowed that.

I agree with you that everyone who made that happen is a horrible person.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

The producers probably have their phones and email blowing up from PETA supporters and the Humane Society of the US. (The name of the owner has been changed for their protection.)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Where is the ASPCA when you need them?
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    The show sounds like it's nothing but fat shaming.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »

Well, it's supposed to be about body acceptance and how the main character has come to love herself despite being obese. The last two seasons have had a lot of episodes about how awful and hateful people are by trying to fat shame her. It's kind of a train wreck. Hard to look away. I keep watching in the hopes that she will actually take some long term action to improve her health.
  • Lovetobeslimmer2
    Lovetobeslimmer2 Posts: 7 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Dija92, I'm going to be a bit contentious in what I'm going to say and I hope people don't leap upon me for having said it. No, of course, we all know that being overweight by 100 lbs or even 50 isn't considered to be "healthy" by today's standards, studies etc. but, let me say that there are quite a few "skinny" people who are walking around, less healthy than someone who is nearly 300 lbs in differing ways. Both can be under-nourished in spite of weight (being contrary to what one would think). Someone who "shames" a Plus Sized person is a SHALLOW person in the first place. Society tends to like and adore thin people and, unfortunately that's what they've come to think of as "healthy" or "beautiful" vs a Plus Sized person. Even those on this site who are "judging" and even, sadly, "fat shaming" are coming from a place of trained thinking by today's Society's standards. And, it's a shame because the very people who are in this forum, are the same people who are/have struggling/struggled with their own weight to one extent or another. However, there is often nothing worse than someone who has dropped a habit or weight and somehow, thinks that they are qualified to pass judgement on others. Sadly, many of the same people who are "fat shaming" in here, will very likely also find themselves being the very same people who have to battle getting weight off again. It's easier to get weight off than to KEEP it off. The shoe might be on the other foot one day for these people again. Nothing is worse than an ex-smoker who shames the crap out of those who still smoke. Part of that is because they, themselves, want to smoke again or...as in "fat shaming" feel the need to say, "I did it so, you should too!" Not necessarily because they care about the smoker but, also because they don't like people around them who smoke as it *may* stir up cravings???? Who knows but, everyone's psyche is different. I can also say that I know people who are slim, and allegedly physically fit and always have been because they run, work out, eat in moderation and STILL are on blood pressure meds, cholestrol pills and are diabetic. :o

Likewise, those who say, "you need to work on your own psyche" are more than likely, the very same people who either have had problems with theirs or are still having problems. They know what they *should* say and say it but, they're still struggling within themselves too and would love nothing better than to dive into a chocolate cake, head-first :D

One thing that I can say, having gotten down to goal weight many times throughout my life (I'm 60 years old and started with weight loss plans, including Weight Watchers and became a lifetime member) is that we also have to be HAPPY in life. Health also entails Mental Health too. So, if you're ok with yourself at perhaps, a higher weight than you should be, according to charts and stats and studies etc., try just keeping as fit as possible for your weight and lower your expectations of being "thin". Be you. Be proud of you no matter what your weight, as long as you can do the things that you like to do in Life. The numbers on your scale or the numbers on your size label are not indicative of being HAPPY. There's plenty of thin folk out there who are NOT happy or even healthy (physically, mentally or both).

As for Society and smokers...you're right. Society is repulsed by both but, as long as a smoker doesn't blow smoke in their faces, they will not kick up as much of a fuss as they will over a plus sized person. People will say less about a stoned person or a drunk than they will about plus sized people. That's how shallow society can be. Of course, we have the "Health Nuts" who don't want to even be around a smoker even if not smoking (smells...ooooo...nooooo!), eat only organic/vegan/vegetarian and puff out their chests that they're superior because they don't eat anything with a face or anything that the face produces and turn it into a religion. :p
    They will also head to the gym 6 or 7 days a week and spend at least an hour or more, run, ride bikes (to save on pollution for some as "The Green People") and they won't touch anything that isn't considered "healthy". I know those types of people as well. Guess what? Several of them are no longer living for differing reasons. There is NO guarantee for any longevity no matter what you do. You can have the best of genes, the best of lifestyle and be hit by a bus, die in a traffic accident or fall off a cliff while mountain climbing or hiking! :*

I know that I'm late in coming into this convo and I haven't read every single response but, that's my 2 cent's worth. Yes, Society does look down upon people who are not "average" but, is anyone really "average"? We're all individuals with our warts, flaws and faults. Some of the healthiest, slimmest, wealthiest people on the planet are still not happy with themselves or their lives and are into drugs, plastic surgery/procedures etc.. Just be HAPPY no matter what you do. Losing some weight is healthier but, not the be-all and end-all to everything. Trust someone who has been at both ends of the spectrum many times now. I'm only trying again now because I'm tired of the "shaming" and tired of trying to find reasonably priced, fashionable clothing as well as because my doc is and always has been thin and bugs the crap out of me to "lose weight". I'm just fed up with hearing it all again and again. If you're ok with whatever weight you are, just work at being a bit more physically fit at your weight level.

Be well! Be YOU! Be HAPPY!!!!!
    Best of wishes!
  • Lovetobeslimmer2
    Lovetobeslimmer2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    Theo166 wrote: »

Well, it's supposed to be about body acceptance and how the main character has come to love herself despite being obese. The last two seasons have had a lot of episodes about how awful and hateful people are by trying to fat shame her. It's kind of a train wreck. Hard to look away. I keep watching in the hopes that she will actually take some long term action to improve her health.

Is it her "health" that you're concerned with or, is it her above average size and looks? Be honest. What if she were to have perfect blood pressure, perfect cholesterol, perfect blood glucose, fit and able to do things even some thinner people can't do? Would you be saying the same things? Just curious as to how people think.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Just watched the first two episodes.

Don't understand parents who enable their child like that.
    If the girl can't shave her legs, then she will have hairy legs.
    Or she can recognize that there is something wrong with her.
    Loved her dance class, too bad she didn't combine it with some calorie control.