Looking for friends who don't eat "clean" and healthy

Options

Replies

• cake91
    cake91 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Loving this convo. Nice to know i am not alone. :)
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    Steak and Shake for dinner! Double 'n Cheese with Onion Rings please! (Is anyone else shocked by steak and shake's calorie counts? I always imagined them to be WAY higher than they are.........)

I'm plotting Subway for the night. Gonna hit up that Steak and Shake menu before I make my final decision. It's unlikely I can make it fit, but BOY do you have me curious!

Some of the basic shakes at Steak n' Shake are actually pretty reasonable-off the top of my head I think a regular size strawberry is around 600 calories. Some of their burgers are lower calories too. Still a high calorie meal if you get a shake and fries, but nothing too crazy :)
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    rdmitch wrote: »
    No doubt you can have treats and still stay within the limits but I would think that in order to get proper nutrition you can't survive on candy and cookies or pizza and burgers. Not every day and hoping you walked the mall enough to offset the damage.
    It doesn't train you to eat proper portions and get some nutritional balance each day.
    Hey, I eat my share of non traditional diet food every day but don't go overboard. I admit, I save up calories for my
    bedtime treat and sometimes eat less of what IS good for me in order to have that treat. But I wouldn't do it every day,
    all meals and I think promoting this type of eating as ok to do..."as long as the calories fit" is not good advice to someone
    jumping on this forum and taking it literall.

and here we have the strawman argument that anyone who eats cookis, pizza, etc, is living off a diet of 100% "junk" food, which is absolutely ridiculous...

Agreed. It could be homemade or have all natural ingredients etc. A broccoli pizza with a cauliflower crust is not unhealthy for example. Or the best cookies I ever had apple oatmeal cookieare oreos. Oatmeal and apples are both pretty good as far as nutrition.

fixed it for you :)

LOL No they are amazing you don't even know!!!! Oreos are probably a close second lol or the knock off ones I had today which were candycane flavored and so good.... (From Trader Joe's)
  • Verity1111
    Options

Just made a noodle stirfry with spicy peanut sauce. Wish me luck... when I was putting the ingredients into the recipe tracker, it was coming in at over 800 calories per portion before I finished, and while I want to indulge, that seemed like too big an indulgence... So I switched out the regular noodles for shiratakis and I'm hoping it'll still be good. (It has 1/2 cup peanut butter for 4 portions. It's gotta be, right?)

I actually am considering trying those low or 0 calorie noodles soon! I already have them in my cart on Amazon Fresh.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    Steak and Shake for dinner! Double 'n Cheese with Onion Rings please! (Is anyone else shocked by steak and shake's calorie counts? I always imagined them to be WAY higher than they are.........)

Wow. Yes! I just looked and for some stuff, like the double cheeseburger, I would expect higher. 440 calories is not much.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    Because it's nice when I can eat junk sometimes and no one will judge me. :P lol

This isn't about anyone other than yourself. Go ahead and eat those Oreo's but stay under your caloric goal for the day. However, if you understand that those 3 or 4 cookies cost you a nice piece of beef or chicken, you might reconsider.

If I want a cookie, I will eat a cookie. I love oreo thins. I can have 4 for 140 calories and I still can eat a nice piece of beef or chicken if I want to.

I love oreo thins too! I actually prefer the cookie portion more than the cream, so I like oreo thins more than the original, especially the mint ones!
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Because it's nice when I can eat junk sometimes and no one will judge me. :P lol

This isn't about anyone other than yourself. Go ahead and eat those Oreo's but stay under your caloric goal for the day. However, if you understand that those 3 or 4 cookies cost you a nice piece of beef or chicken, you might reconsider.

why can't one have chicken breast for dinner and three oreos for dessert? Why is it always a false choice between chicken or cookies?

I almost always have steak, chicken or fish for dinner, sometimes pizza or breakfast too, but dinner is ALWAYS followed by chips ahoy, Oreos, or a bowl of my favorites cereal.

Yeah lol...love the stuff. And I usually have 250+ calories left at bedtime. :)
  • fitbethlin
    fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I might work my way up to clean eating, but small changes stick better with me. And while I know it's possible to eat well while traveling, I'm not real motivated to try that hard when doing so leaves me hungry or strapped for time. There are also days where eating half a pizza is a totally reasonable response to life. As long as it's not EVERY Tuesday, I don't think it's an issue.

Like drinking less diet soda* instead of making it a staple in my diet. I'm not cutting it out, but I am more moderate than I used to be. Same with alcohol. Let me tell you about how good a rum & diet tastes when I finally give in and have one...

*(Yeah yeah, I know it's all CICO and there are no calories in diet soda, but it does change my appetite and make it harder to stay within the appropriate calorie range or get the sleep I need. )
  • Spiderpug
    Spiderpug Posts: 159 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    B) every fri night is pizza night, I make sure of that!
  • dazaliah
    dazaliah Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have increased my water intake by increasing my tea intake...last night I also added two shots of whisky in my cinnamon tea haha. 200 calories of Ahhh. I also work a chocolate pudding every day just about. Love me some snack packs for 120!
  • lks802
    lks802 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I eat clean. I love it and how can you argue with putting whole, unprocessed food in your body.

BUT, I ain't never said I don't eat junk sometimes. I do try to be 80/20. I still sometimes have chips, baked goods, ice cream, etc I love eating clean, but I also like junk too. I'm equal opportunity eater. Lol no judgement
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I ate a homemade meal from Mom today. Homemade - but heavy, and with processed ingredients, so not clean. But I love it. It's similar to this - http://southernfood.about.com/od/chickenbreastrecipes/r/bln320.htm - but the bacon is cooked on top of the chicken instead of wrapping. And I love my mom, but she considers it "healthy" because it's chicken. Mmm...not 100% on that.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    And I love my mom, but she considers it "healthy" because it's chicken. Mmm...not 100% on that.

Slap it in a bun and it's suddenly unhealthy because it's become some kind of a "burger"? ;)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Just made a noodle stirfry with spicy peanut sauce. Wish me luck... when I was putting the ingredients into the recipe tracker, it was coming in at over 800 calories per portion before I finished, and while I want to indulge, that seemed like too big an indulgence... So I switched out the regular noodles for shiratakis and I'm hoping it'll still be good. (It has 1/2 cup peanut butter for 4 portions. It's gotta be, right?)

I actually am considering trying those low or 0 calorie noodles soon! I already have them in my cart on Amazon Fresh.

The stirfry came out great! One thing I did read was that if you are using them to sub for Asian noodles, they work well, but that their texture is "off" for Italian pasta. I've never tried subbing them for spaghetti, so I can't be sure of that, but as a replacement for rice sticks, they're fine.