Looking for friends who don't eat "clean" and healthy

11617192122136

Replies

  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,314 Member
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Oh on my OWN note! I FINALLY tried Halo Top ice cream. I HATE diet sweet foods and diet after tastes like in diet soda or protein shakes, etc...I can not stand stevia. HOWEVER, stevia is the very last ingredient on the list in this ice cream and I tried the S'more flavor. So good! I was very pleasantly surprised. It actually tastes kind of like caramel, which I am not big on, but it has a creamy texture that is very nice and the flavor is just mild enough that I could eat the entire pint without being overwhelmed - all for under 300 calories! Half a cup of ice cream is usually 250ish calories and in Halo Top it is about 80-100 calories! BIG difference!

    I have been trying to find Halo Top ice cream. Just to try, because when I like ice cream I tend to head for the Ben & Jerry's and at nearly 1000 calories for a pint, I have to work really hard to fit that in. (In my house, I eat a pint at at time :D ) So, Halo Top has intrigued me, but I can't find it anywhere! Supposedly it is carried at Kroger stores around me, but I have checked three with no luck. I can only find Arctic Zero and based on the reviews from that, I am not going to even bother.

    I really do want to try Halo Top though. :/

    Let me put it this way. I bought 3 pints of Ben & Jerry's core ice creams and one Halo Top S'mores. When I tried the Halo Top I kind of wanted to put the Ben and Jerry's back except I'd already logged it and I was too lazy to put it back lol plus I need to eat them sometime since I already bought them. Both are really good and different but I liked them equally. The smores one at the very least is very smooth and has a lovely texture and mild caramel type flavor.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,314 Member
    thinalini wrote: »
    Oreos are good, but...

    TimTams > Oreos

    Cant find timtams here :( Ive been wanting to try them.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,314 Member
    rdmitch wrote: »
    No doubt you can have treats and still stay within the limits but I would think that in order to get proper nutrition you can't survive on candy and cookies or pizza and burgers. Not every day and hoping you walked the mall enough to offset the damage.
    It doesn't train you to eat proper portions and get some nutritional balance each day.
    Hey, I eat my share of non traditional diet food every day but don't go overboard. I admit, I save up calories for my
    bedtime treat and sometimes eat less of what IS good for me in order to have that treat. But I wouldn't do it every day,
    all meals and I think promoting this type of eating as ok to do..."as long as the calories fit" is not good advice to someone
    jumping on this forum and taking it literall.

    Did she say she survives only on "candy and cookies or pizza and burgers"?

    Why, oh why, do people always assume that "I'm not a 'clean' eater" = "I eat a diet of 100% Pop Tarts"?

    And why would you feel the need to come into this lovely thread and lecture the OP? With a strawman argument, no less?
    On the other hand he is right that I really don't care at all. It is their life after all and if they'd rather have a short life filled with burgers who am I to complain?

  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,314 Member
    edited January 2017
    rdmitch wrote: »
    Reply was not directed to the OP, never said it or even implied it ! More directed to the direction the
    thread was going and how it could easily be perceived as a proper way to lose lbs. no one here would agree that
    daily eating without at least an open eye toward nutrition is a healthy option.
    Not a lecture by any means just an observation, sorry if you interpreted it that way.

    No its not healthy exactly. I mean if it was worse before and eating 1 pizza day instead of 10 is what youre doing it is definitely healthy in comparison...so I guess it depends on the situation if Id encourage eating a full pizza every day. If that is way less than you did before keep up the good work. If not you probably should try to lessen that unless you are only looking for weight loss not health and you exercise a lot. It is their choice if they want to be healthy or not, not my business. Technically if they still exercise daily and often they are "fit" just not the healthiest person as far as diet.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,314 Member
    edited January 2017
    schac061 wrote: »
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Oh on my OWN note! I FINALLY tried Halo Top ice cream. I HATE diet sweet foods and diet after tastes like in diet soda or protein shakes, etc...I can not stand stevia. HOWEVER, stevia is the very last ingredient on the list in this ice cream and I tried the S'more flavor. So good! I was very pleasantly surprised. It actually tastes kind of like caramel, which I am not big on, but it has a creamy texture that is very nice and the flavor is just mild enough that I could eat the entire pint without being overwhelmed - all for under 300 calories! Half a cup of ice cream is usually 250ish calories and in Halo Top it is about 80-100 calories! BIG difference!

    I have tried three of their flavors so far. I've tried s'mores, mocha chip (I think is what it's called), and oatmeal cookie. And yes, I ate the whole pint in one sitting because it was 300 or less calories and I think I even ate one as lunch one day. Surprisingly the oatmeal cookie one was my favorite, followed my the mocha chip. I tried the mocha chip one first and was really disappointed. It was chalky and gross. I liked the flavor, but the texture was horrible. I let it sit on the counter as recommended, but I did not enjoy it. My only complaint about the oatmeal cookie is the huge, raw oats. Like raw pieces of oatmeal. Not that it stopped me from eating it all, but still. This one had the most real ice cream like taste and texture for me. I agree with your assessment about the s'mores flavor and it tasting like caramel. I want to try the peanut butter flavor next but I'm waiting for when I'm really craving ice cream. The only place that sells it near me is a high-end grocery store and they're US$6-$7/each!! That's really a splurge for me but I'm looking forward to trying their other flavors.

    I assume you meant the smores was second place and mocha was gross? Otherwise that didnt make total sense haha. & yeah ben and jerrys are pricey too lol both are splurges for me. Damn fancy little pints.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,755 Member
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    thinalini wrote: »
    Oreos are good, but...

    TimTams > Oreos

    Cant find timtams here :( Ive been wanting to try them.

    Don't bother - they aren't that great.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    A few weeks ago I was helping out someone with a bit of organising, and she kept trying to offer me food... I had my pre-logged food with me and didn't really want what she was offering anyway, but she was persistent! Eventually, after several polite refusals, I told her thanks but I had my calorie-counted snacks and lunch and would be satisfied with that. She gave me what seemed to be a rather smug smile and said, "People who count calories never lose weight." Well, how could I let that go?! So I said it was working for me and I'd lost (at that time) close to 40lbs. Her jaw nearly dropped and she shut up... a short while later she came back and asked me how I'd done it, so I pointed her at MFP. ;)

    Where did she get that ridiculous idea?

    I have no clue - probably from the vast swathes of diet-industry advertising which tries to tell us all that losing weight can't possibly be as simple as just counting your calories! Or maybe she has friends who believe that cutting carbs is the only way to do it, or you need to follow some fancy "diet" to be successful. I guess it could also be that she's known people who claim to have counted calories and it didn't work, in which case they just weren't doing it right!

    I mean, there's no way I could have lost 50lbs and still eaten all the things I've eaten over the past year, is there? I'm clearly a medical marvel! ;)
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Oh on my OWN note! I FINALLY tried Halo Top ice cream. I HATE diet sweet foods and diet after tastes like in diet soda or protein shakes, etc...I can not stand stevia. HOWEVER, stevia is the very last ingredient on the list in this ice cream and I tried the S'more flavor. So good! I was very pleasantly surprised. It actually tastes kind of like caramel, which I am not big on, but it has a creamy texture that is very nice and the flavor is just mild enough that I could eat the entire pint without being overwhelmed - all for under 300 calories! Half a cup of ice cream is usually 250ish calories and in Halo Top it is about 80-100 calories! BIG difference!

    I have been trying to find Halo Top ice cream. Just to try, because when I like ice cream I tend to head for the Ben & Jerry's and at nearly 1000 calories for a pint, I have to work really hard to fit that in. (In my house, I eat a pint at at time :D ) So, Halo Top has intrigued me, but I can't find it anywhere! Supposedly it is carried at Kroger stores around me, but I have checked three with no luck. I can only find Arctic Zero and based on the reviews from that, I am not going to even bother.

    I really do want to try Halo Top though. :/

    I wanted to try it too, since nearly everyone raves about it (although it's very expensive!), but apparently my nearest retailer is 300 miles away over the border... I'm not THAT keen to try it!

    (Someone did suggest I could use mail order to get some, but I'm not keen on the idea of having frozen food delivered over distance. I used to do my grocery shopping online in the UK and bought frozen goods then, but they only had to travel a few miles in a refrigerated truck. :) )
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    I get twitchy when pizza and burgers are vilified. I consider pizza and burgers to be fairly balanced when it comes to macros (at least mine are unless MFP is a lying liar who lies). Both have proteins, fats and carbs and they are an easy vehicle for lots of vegetables. As long as portions are reasonable and it fits in your calorie goal, I don't understand why so many view them as "bad".

    Also, once I figured out how to make really good homemade pizza and burgers, I fine tuned my recipes to meet my goals and they are a normal occurrence in my house (Pizza every Friday!). They also help me eliminate cravings for fast food, because mine taste better.

    My thought would be that people think they're bad because "They" say they're bad! "They" presumably being the diet industry that doesn't want anyone to find out that we can actually eat whatever we like and we don't need their expensive products and plans... ;)

    I like to make my own little pizzas now, using a tortilla as a base with salsa instead of pizza sauce. I can control the amount of meat and cheese that goes on them, and pile on as many veggies as will fit... :) It reminds me of the flatbread pizzas that I used to buy in Quiznos, but less calories! I can have a couple of slices of garlic bread as well, and come in way under the amount of calories I'd have eaten if I was sharing my family's regular pizza. :D
  • schac061
    schac061 Posts: 41 Member
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    schac061 wrote: »
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Oh on my OWN note! I FINALLY tried Halo Top ice cream. I HATE diet sweet foods and diet after tastes like in diet soda or protein shakes, etc...I can not stand stevia. HOWEVER, stevia is the very last ingredient on the list in this ice cream and I tried the S'more flavor. So good! I was very pleasantly surprised. It actually tastes kind of like caramel, which I am not big on, but it has a creamy texture that is very nice and the flavor is just mild enough that I could eat the entire pint without being overwhelmed - all for under 300 calories! Half a cup of ice cream is usually 250ish calories and in Halo Top it is about 80-100 calories! BIG difference!

    I have tried three of their flavors so far. I've tried s'mores, mocha chip (I think is what it's called), and oatmeal cookie. And yes, I ate the whole pint in one sitting because it was 300 or less calories and I think I even ate one as lunch one day. Surprisingly the oatmeal cookie one was my favorite, followed my the mocha chip. I tried the mocha chip one first and was really disappointed. It was chalky and gross. I liked the flavor, but the texture was horrible. I let it sit on the counter as recommended, but I did not enjoy it. My only complaint about the oatmeal cookie is the huge, raw oats. Like raw pieces of oatmeal. Not that it stopped me from eating it all, but still. This one had the most real ice cream like taste and texture for me. I agree with your assessment about the s'mores flavor and it tasting like caramel. I want to try the peanut butter flavor next but I'm waiting for when I'm really craving ice cream. The only place that sells it near me is a high-end grocery store and they're US$6-$7/each!! That's really a splurge for me but I'm looking forward to trying their other flavors.

    I assume you meant the smores was second place and mocha was gross? Otherwise that didnt make total sense haha. & yeah ben and jerrys are pricey too lol both are splurges for me. Damn fancy little pints.

    Hahaha! Yeah! Didn't proofread before posting. Mocha was gross and s'mores was yummy!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    You people and your "Halo Top".

    Guess what you can't buy in Canada. C'mon. Guess.

    :(

    Tell me about it.

    I think we need our own Food Of Awesomeness that Americans can't buy... ;)
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,971 Member
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    You people and your "Halo Top".

    Guess what you can't buy in Canada. C'mon. Guess.

    :(

    Tell me about it.

    I think we need our own Food Of Awesomeness that Americans can't buy... ;)

    You do do poutine and ketchup chips!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,755 Member
    You people and your "Halo Top".

    Guess what you can't buy in Canada. C'mon. Guess.

    :(

    But it made it to Australia? That makes no sense...
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited January 2017
    You people and your "Halo Top".

    Guess what you can't buy in Canada. C'mon. Guess.

    :(

    Right? Silly language and fairy (dairy) laws! :(

    (Left fairy in there because that is partially true :laugh: )

  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,056 Member
    I usually eat a lot of healthy stuff with some junk mixed in. Today not so much:

    Costco samples
    Donut that wasn't delicious
    Chicken wings

    I have less than 500 calories left and plan to use them wisely. :)