Weighing Food Takes Too Long And is OBSESSIVE!

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    MaybeLed wrote: »
    I cook and bake a lot, always trying new recipes. Because I'm a Brit, that means weighing things.

So when I decided to lose weight and people said 'use a scale' it wasn't a chore. I don't weigh everything, only calorie dense things but when something is 25% more than it says that adds up.

I do appreciate how if you've not been brought up with that it's a new skill to learn and quickly could become irritating

In other news, when I was baking an American cookie recipe that was a massive chore, working out 1 cup = 250ml by volume and weighing out sugar after I’d guestimated by volume in my old Pyrex jug.
    And that was after frantically googling confectioners’ sugar……

For some of us Americans baking and cooking means weighing too. If a recipe doesn't give grams I just convert it. I keep my staples in containers. On the outside I have listed the measurements in grams...40g(1/4 cup)...etc.

It really doesn't always work though. I made a no knead bread recipe using the normal conversion of 1 cup flour = 120g, and I had to throw it away because it was a mess. Turns out you had to use 135-140g for 1 cup. No idea where they got that 'conversion' from, considering that a serving of flour is typically 1/4 cup (30g).

Sigh.

Was that the America's Test Kitchen no knead bread recipe? Yes, on every package of flour it says 1/4 cup = 30g but Christopher Kimble is adamant that 1 C = 5 oz = 140g.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I cook and bake a lot, always trying new recipes. Because I'm a Brit, that means weighing things.

So when I decided to lose weight and people said 'use a scale' it wasn't a chore. I don't weigh everything, only calorie dense things but when something is 25% more than it says that adds up.

I do appreciate how if you've not been brought up with that it's a new skill to learn and quickly could become irritating

In other news, when I was baking an American cookie recipe that was a massive chore, working out 1 cup = 250ml by volume and weighing out sugar after I’d guestimated by volume in my old Pyrex jug.

For some of us Americans baking and cooking means weighing too. If a recipe doesn't give grams I just convert it. I keep my staples in containers. On the outside I have listed the measurements in grams...40g(1/4 cup)...etc.

It really doesn't always work though. I made a no knead bread recipe using the normal conversion of 1 cup flour = 120g, and I had to throw it away because it was a mess. Turns out you had to use 135-140g for 1 cup. No idea where they got that 'conversion' from, considering that a serving of flour is typically 1/4 cup (30g).

Sigh.

Was that the America's Test Kitchen no knead bread recipe? Yes, on every package of flour it says 1/4 cup = 30g but Christopher Kimble is adamant that 1 C = 5 oz = 140g.

Flour that hasn't been sifted or mixed in any way (i.e. all settled in the bag) will fit 140g into a cup. Mixed but unsifted flour will fit 128 grams, and sifted flour will be 120 grams. At least according to what I've read. Usually, in baking, I find that the 128 grams works best. :)
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    hamelle2 wrote: »
    I love my scale, it's the math I dislike. Lol
    I wish there was an app where you type 214 grams of green apple and it spits out the number of calories.
    I guess I could just toss the 14 gms. :)

We just ask Alexa those kinds of questions - seriously...
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I will chime in on this. I do weigh and measure 95% of the things I eat. Time consuming? Sometimes. Worth it? To me yes. I never learned these skills completely while losing. Has to learn them on the fly. What it has done for me is to allow me to visually judge things better. If I am out and just have to get a meal in, I can and not be wildly off.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Sigh.

Flour that hasn't been sifted or mixed in any way (i.e. all settled in the bag) will fit 140g into a cup. Mixed but unsifted flour will fit 128 grams, and sifted flour will be 120 grams. At least according to what I've read. Usually, in baking, I find that the 128 grams works best. :)

This is really helpful, thanks! It’s also why I look for recipes that use weights and avoid those that don’t. This will help my confidence in converting. I agree- no knead bread can be a mess with too little flour. I use 400g to 1.5c water & 1/4tsp yeast, for a recipe that calls for 3c, BTW. (I do use spoons for yeast, spices, and anything else too light to register on my scale.) This is exactly why my baking improved using the scale.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    hamelle2 wrote: »
    I love my scale, it's the math I dislike. Lol
    I wish there was an app where you type 214 grams of green apple and it spits out the number of calories.
    I guess I could just toss the 14 gms. :)

The quick fits-all solution is to find a generic green apple entry that gives calories per 100g and looks reliable. (I just checked the database and there are some dodgy apples around.) Then click on the drop-down menu to change the serving size to 1g, and then type in 214 for your number of servings. Hey presto, done!

It works for any amount, no matter how odd the fraction you eat.

If you were making a joke and it just whooshed over my head, ignore this post.

I wasn't joking! I did not know how to do that! Thank you so much. You made my day. 😊
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    This is a slight digression, but (as the OP ;) ) I think I'll just briefly digress it!

One useful thing to know: There are a bunch of MFP database entries, often green-checked ones, that start out with 1C as the default quantity. (Some of them are even really dumb ones like hardboiled eggs!) If you see that, click on the serving-size dropdown. Very often, these turn out to be some of the very best entries in the database, with many different serving size options.

For example, look up "Tomatoes, red, ripe, raw, year round average". The default is "1.0 cup cherry tomatoes". Hit the drop-down, and you see this, and you can scroll on to literally 20 different quantities, from tomato inch sizes to slices to weights in metric and imperial, including nice 100g and 1g entries.

6p9a5gbsznd1.png

That kind of bureaucratic language in the title is another hint that it may be one of the old entries imported from USDA - y'know, who says "Chicken, broilers or fryers, thigh, meat only, cooked, roasted" other than the gubmint? (Note some are simpler, but most are like that.)

Some of these entries have goofed-up calories for the cup/spoon quantities, but are mostly fine for grams and counts.

Try the serving size drop-downs. :)
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds in 4 months. Now before you crap a brick, I'm over 100 pounds overweight..so that's pretty common. Anyways, I eat the fries at the bottom of the bag. I just ate a chocolate out of my sons box of chocolates. I lick the spoon when I make brownies. I don't weigh my food. I use a measuring cup if it calls for it. But I've been extremely successful while not weighing and questioning every little thing that goes into my pie hole. I refuse to ever be that way. It makes people miserable.

Some folks need to see the difference between what they're guessing and what it really is. It's great that yours is working for you though. :)

Myself? I hate weighing food because it showed me how really small my ounce of beloved cheese really is. :'(
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Agree 100%. It is not that hard. It becomes second nature. I feel good knowing how much I'm eating.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I bought my first food scale at the dollar store for $1.00. It wasn’t very accurate and wouldn’t weigh very much, but it was waaaayyyyy more accurate than my estimating. Sent me shopping for a good scale.
    And it is totally easier than measuring cups.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Who invented these 'cups' though? Ive never understood it, I dont think I have seen one in the shops here although presumably there must be. Years ago I used to think recipes I saw referencing them was referring to the amount you could get into a tea cup!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    nooboots wrote: »
    Who invented these 'cups' though? Ive never understood it, I dont think I have seen one in the shops here although presumably there must be. Years ago I used to think recipes I saw referencing them was referring to the amount you could get into a tea cup!

Fanny Farmer, back in pioneer days. Recipes were often handed down, mother to daughter back then, and vague on measurements. Also, not everyone had a scale, but just about everyone had cups and they were a standard (8 fl oz) size.

Her cookbook used those cups as standard measurements and it caught on.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options

I have a recipe for bread and rolls that my grandmother wrote in the fly-leaf of a cookbook for my mother when she was visiting, and the amount of flour is 6 to 8 cups, with "white and blue cups" added to indicate which tea cups in my mother's kitchen she had used. Of course, she really just went by how the bread felt, herself, but to oblige, she had counted out how much flour she added using those cups.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options

Fanny Farmer, back in pioneer days. Recipes were often handed down, mother to daughter back then, and vague on measurements. Also, not everyone had a scale, but just about everyone had cups and they were a standard (8 fl oz) size.

Her cookbook used those cups as standard measurements and it caught on.

Old cookbooks called for “pinch” and “dollop”, etc. but my Grandmother in law was telling me how to cook one of my favorite recipes of hers, and she said to add a “right smart” of something. Had no idea how much that was!