The reality of maintenance...

Options

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,996 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about something I as read people's posts:

Does anyone know someone who has always been thin / never had a weight problem whom they can ask what they do? Do people who have always been thin even think about these things? Do they weigh themselves (and, if so, how often)? Do they plan ahead for birthdays or dinners out?

It would be interesting to see responses from people in their 30s, 40s, etc -- both men and women.

I can't think who to ask ... But I wonder about people who just seem to naturally maintain -- though they probably do not think of it that way at all. Anyone up for a research project? :wink: Anyone know?

Everyone in my immediate and close extended family was overweight from my earliest memory upward. I was crazy active and had a very fast metabolism as a child. I was extremely thin. (Adopted, so different genetics.) However, I always ate like obese people because I never ate any differently than my obese mother and father, and Mom regularly forced food on me by insisting I eat seconds and dessert and cleaned my plate, which was piled with adult portions of food!

It caught up with me hardcore in my early 30s and really messed with my head at first. I wasn't doing anything different! Why was I suddenly gaining so much weight? Well, the truth is it wasn't sudden. There were weight issues I denied in my late 20s, and because I carry weight deceptively well, I told myself the scale didn't matter all that much. It did. Visceral fat is a thing. A dangerous thing.

So I cut my calories, started doing cardio and weight circuits and got down even thinner than I had ever been in my adult life. It made me anxious in inexplicable ways. Someone else here at MFP gave me some insight as to why, but other than the anxiety about my body image, at that time maintenance wasn't difficult. Just balancing activity with food and weighing maybe once per week. I think at that time I still actually had a higher than average metabolism but had been eating over its limits before the weight loss. I never had thought about food, macros, anything like that before when I was thinner. I was thin by default, not design, and had extremely skewed ideas about how much food I needed and that dessert had to be a thing. I was in my mid to late 30s at that point.

Had a debilitating accident that kept me from exercising at all for close to 2 years. Regained all I'd lost + some and didn't try to take it off again because of the mental/body issues I had while maintaining last time. Therapy has cleared a lot of that up, so now it's round 2 of weight loss, this time post-menopause. That high metabolism is a gone pecan. (Where I'm from that rhymes.)

My father-in-law and one of my husband's cousins have extremely high metabolisms. They have trouble keeping weight on and eat constantly. She even had trouble keeping weight on during both of her pregnancies. My husband's metabolism has only slowed within the past decade. He used to be one of those eat whatever he wants and never gain an ounce. He's 5'9" and until ten years ago never topped 130 lbs. His sister and his grandmother are petite (5' 1" and 5' 2") and thin, but they do it by portion control and staying active. They do think about it and always have for the 20+ years I've known them. Being around thin people who have to fight to stay that way and actively plan has helped me, too. It provided some balance I was missing from being around disordered eating through my childhood and teens. It showed me that a healthy weight isn't always accidental and that working on it isn't being "food obsessed," an accusation Mom always throws at me when I'm working to lose, although it's her food obsession that has kept her obese all her life. It's all she ever thinks or talks about, and the only thing she ever reads are cookbooks and food magazines. She doesn't respect my process at all and actively sabotages, so I don't spend nearly as much time around her when I need to lose weight.

It also made me feel less angry with myself for that first weight gain. I was ignorant and had never had a reason to educate myself. Now I do, and now I have. My health is important and worth the extra vigilance, not only during the process but afterward. I also look at it this way. Most of us never think twice about the importance of home or yard maintenance, vehicle maintenance, or fixing or replacing broken appliances or recreational items. Why should we give our bodies any less attention and love? They'll be with us the longest of all.

The bolded part is so true. I may have to use this the next time someone tells me I'm obsessed with calorie counting.
  • alexjvolk
    alexjvolk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else notice that maintenance isn't much different than losing weight other than a few hundred more calories? (That means I can have a large scoop of ice cream lol) Maybe I don't really notice a big difference because I never went too low on my cals when I was losing weight? It's kinda sad, but a reality check that I can never return to eating the way I ate before. It's always going to be a "checks and balances" or "sacrifice this for that" mentality for me. Is that an unhealthy mindset? Also, do you miss eating a restaurant sized dinner drink and dessert for one meal? For instance, on the weekends I get invited to breakfast, lunch, and dinner all in one day, and there's no way I can fit those restaurant calories in. Anyway, I'm just trying to get a perspective of this maintaining thing. Any comments and replies are appreciated! Thanks!

People focus so much on weight. Forgetting that excess weight is only one side effect of a much more critical issue--health. When you eat a bad diet, your health suffers, regardless if you are 4% BF or 30% BF. Just because the "skinny" individual doesn't show the side effect of weight gain does not mean that he or she can continue on their current diet and remain healthy. You can lose weight and lose health. Or gain weight and gain health. Focus on what you add to your diet vs what you take away. Make natural, whole foods a staple and you will begin to realize that junk food appeal to you less and less. Also--dealing with the societal pressure to eat out sucks...I can commiserate with you there... But it is no different than the non-smokers dealt with in previous generations.
  • kristenveganvixen
    kristenveganvixen Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Same here. I still track and I try to do a "light" variation of intermittent fasting/dieting to allow for cheat days (usually at the weekend!), like 1-3 days a week I'll deliberately undereat a little which makes up for going over a bit at the weekend! My maintenence is about 1820, so say if I eat 1200 one day then that makes for a 620 calorie deficit- that's a slice of cake and a soya latte earned, or I could have a big 1000calorie Zizzi's dairy free rustica pizza instead of a healthy 400ish calorie lunch like soup or a sandwich iyswim?
  • coboblack
    coboblack Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I enjoy eating this way. I have cheat days on the weekends, and while I use to always take advantage of it, I always feel like crap afterwards. I find myself turning a cheat day into simply a cheat meal on the weekend. The problem is not indulging in life's pleasures, it when you make bad eating a lifestyle.

For me, nothing feels better than a day filled with eating correctly then getting a good workout in. I actually prefer the satiated feeling without feeling completely dragged down and useless with an overfull stomach. Especially during the work week and when I do Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I save that feeling for the weekend when visiting my mother in laws if I'm going to have it all.
  • coboblack
    Options

Does anyone know someone who has always been thin / never had a weight problem whom they can ask what they do? Do people who have always been thin even think about these things? Do they weigh themselves (and, if so, how often)? Do they plan ahead for birthdays or dinners out?

It would be interesting to see responses from people in their 30s, 40s, etc -- both men and women.

I can't think who to ask ... But I wonder about people who just seem to naturally maintain -- though they probably do not think of it that way at all. Anyone up for a research project? :wink: Anyone know?

I have always been relatively thin and in shape. I've only had 3-4 years of my life where I was 30 pounds overweight. I had to reallllllly work at adding that over weight. I worked from home at a desk all day, so I didn't have to walk very far everyday. I was eating whatever I wanted and as much as I wanted. I would go in and out of getting tired of eating crappy and would eat healthy and then I would fall back into eating a half a pizza, donuts and koloaches in the morning, and milk or cokes at every meal, and chips. It took a few years but I went from a ripped 150 pounds (training Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu 3-5x a week) to 182 pounds doing no activities. (Before and after pic in my profile)

I was miserable. I felt like I had a bowling ball in my stomach when I went to tie my shoes. I would randomly weigh myself but it was only to become more shocked at each new threshold of "what the hell am I doing to myself" that I reached.

I eventually had enough and started eating right and doing some activities. (Fishing and kayaking). I lost about 12 lbs only to have my mother, my uncle and then brother all die within 6 months. That derailed me for awhile until July 2016. I started eating perfectly throughout the week and left the weekends to eat what I want. I also do daily cardio. I set a 20 min timer and do circuit training. I will do 20 squats, 20 pushups, 20 situps, 20 lunges, run stairs, curls, etc. But I don't rest in between. Its constant moving for 20 min and I rest one muscle group by working out another. I also do 10-20 reps each time I pick a new exercise. I wont hover in easier ones.

In addition to this daily activity, I train BJJ 2-3 times a week an hour each class. I spend 10-20 min in the morning and/or evening doing light yoga. Mostly just deep stretches. This has gotten me down from 170 lbs down to 156.1 pounds as of today since July 2016.

To answer your questions, yes. I weigh myself every day. (Every morning after using the restroom, without clothes, in order to have as close to a baseline as possible. The weight of clothes and the amount of waste and water in your body causes around a 5 pound fluctuation. So I try to minimize that so that I can get an accurate reading.

I don't plan ahead for birthdays or eating out. (We would only eat out or do a birthday during the weekend anyway, which is always my "cheat day" if we go out. I always allowed myself a day on the weekend to do what I want but I don't always use it. I enjoy feeling this way. I don't enjoy an overly full stomach that weighs me down anymore. I pay more attention to portions than I do what I eat now. A ribeye, for example, if you read the package, it says 2 servings. I never paid attention that. If I eat it now, I split it with my wife.

If I have a desert on the weekends. I have a reasonable amount. I'll eat two oreos with milk instead of 10 like I used to or a handful of chips instead of a half a bag. But again, the healthier I get, the more I workout, the more I even crave those things. I'd rather grab an apple or an orange.
  • coboblack
    Options
    I'm a year into my weight loss and just now entering the maintenance phase (39 pounds gone) and Realizing that this is now permanent. Its a little depressing to me for some reason. I thought I would be on cloud 9 but I'm not. Don't get me wrong, I love what I've turned myself into. I'm healthier, and more I shape at 34 than I have ever been! I feel like I've set a better example for my girls on healthy living. The old me would binge on cake, candy and crap daily! I knew starting this I could never go back to eating a bag of recees a day, but I guess I didn't realize how hard it would be once I was at a stopping point. I've been so strict for a year and now that I'm at my goal it's actually more difficult than "dieting" if that makes sense. I'm scared to death of putting the weight back on. I measure and count every thing I eat. It drives my family nuts but I can't imagine not doing it. I still work out daily whether it's weight training or cardio I must get my workout it! Makes a bad mood turn around instantly for me! I feel like I'm rambling now lol! Anyways, this thread has given me a boost and I'm hoping I don't sabotage myself! Just have to keep on doing what I do!

Just remember, it takes a lot of work to take off weight, but at the same time, it takes ALOT of work to put that back on. Once you reach your goal, you should allow yourself the freedom to not count calories on one or two meals during weekend.

That doesn't mean you have to eat as much horrible things as you can all day long. It means, simply put down you scale and my fitness pal app on Sunday. Eyeball what you would normally eat without fear of being a little over. Want a desert? Grab it. Let this be your stress-free day that gives you a break. One pound of body weight is equal to 3,500 calories, so eating an EXTRA 500 calories, per day, that ENTIRE week, on top of what you already eat....will only cause you to gain a single pound. That's a whole week of eating crappy only affecting you by one pound.

So one day of not stressing out is not going to have an effect on maintenance. Take that break and even eating a little bad food here and there, and then feeling the effects of that sugar or greasy food, will often make you look forward to eating healthy again the next week.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I'm a year into my weight loss and just now entering the maintenance phase (39 pounds gone) and Realizing that this is now permanent. Its a little depressing to me for some reason. I thought I would be on cloud 9 but I'm not. Don't get me wrong, I love what I've turned myself into. I'm healthier, and more I shape at 34 than I have ever been! I feel like I've set a better example for my girls on healthy living. The old me would binge on cake, candy and crap daily! I knew starting this I could never go back to eating a bag of recees a day, but I guess I didn't realize how hard it would be once I was at a stopping point. I've been so strict for a year and now that I'm at my goal it's actually more difficult than "dieting" if that makes sense. I'm scared to death of putting the weight back on. I measure and count every thing I eat. It drives my family nuts but I can't imagine not doing it. I still work out daily whether it's weight training or cardio I must get my workout it! Makes a bad mood turn around instantly for me! I feel like I'm rambling now lol! Anyways, this thread has given me a boost and I'm hoping I don't sabotage myself! Just have to keep on doing what I do!

Don't stress so much. There's nothing wrong with counting calories, it you want to, but by now you can probably keep your consumption in line without it. Weigh once a week or so to keep yourself honest and so you can catch yourself before you get to far from your ideal weight, but I've found that my weight stays pretty much the same for months at a time if I just eat what I think I need to eat.
  • coboblack
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    coboblack wrote: »

Just remember, it takes a lot of work to take off weight, but at the same time, it takes ALOT of work to put that back on. Once you reach your goal, you should allow yourself the freedom to not count calories on one or two meals during weekend.

That doesn't mean you have to eat as much horrible things as you can all day long. It means, simply put down you scale and my fitness pal app on Sunday. Eyeball what you would normally eat without fear of being a little over. Want a desert? Grab it. Let this be your stress-free day that gives you a break. One pound of body weight is equal to 3,500 calories, so eating an EXTRA 500 calories, per day, that ENTIRE week, on top of what you already eat....will only cause you to gain a single pound. That's a whole week of eating crappy only affecting you by one pound.

So one day of not stressing out is not going to have an effect on maintenance. Take that break and even eating a little bad food here and there, and then feeling the effects of that sugar or greasy food, will often make you look forward to eating healthy again the next week.

For me (and probably others) it's not that hard to put the weight back on. I'm an emotional/stress/boredom eater. It's easy for me to go eat food when not hungry because, to paraphrase Bruce Banner, "That's my secret, Cap. I'm always hungry." I can put away a lot of food if I don't bother to track it. I have days where I eat what I want and *do* track it since I want to know the numbers. In a day, I can put down 5,000 calories an just hit "satisfied" on my hunger metre.

There's nothing wrong with continuing to weigh food after weight loss.

Noone said that there is anything wrong with continuing to weigh food after weight loss. She talked about the stress of daily tracking and I told her to pick a single day out of the week to not worry about it. One day of not stressing about it is not going to send you spiraling down if you keep it to one day like I recommended when we are talking about maintenance and hovering around a target weight. But one day of not worring about it can take some of that stress off of a nonstop never ending need to track every calory every meal.

I can eat when I'm bored, when I'm stressed, hell, I can even eat when I'm so full I'm about to explode. But it is still not going to pack on weight overnight, or even over a weeks time so she can safely take a day off without worry. That is what I mean by it is hard to add weight.

• PaigeMed
    PaigeMed Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    coboblack wrote: »

Thank you. That's a good idea. I'll definitely try that! I know I don't give myself enough credit. I just need to get the idea out of my head that I will NOT go back to my old ways. Don't get me wrong I do have cheat days and I've always been fine it's just a constant fight about if it's worth the stress or not.
  • PaigeMed
    PaigeMed Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    My sister in law commented to me one day that two times in her life she had eaten to the point of feeling stuffed and gross. That comment was a wake up call for me. I used to do that every single day. Logging and tracking has meant that I rarely do that now - can't actually remember the last time. I sometimes wish I didn't have to do this for life, but then I remember that I am actually FAR happier living this life, one of feeling disciplined and strong and energetic. The idea that I want to stop logging and stop paying attention is a delusion that my mind likes to return to now and again.

I'm with you there! I remind myself how miserable and gross I felt when I over ate..it's either one extreme or the other for me unfortunately.
  • active562
    active562 Posts: 135 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I know a lot of people who are naturally thin .
    My cousin was always slim and I always wondered 'how?' As we always ate the same together ! However I used to empty my plate in 3 minutes AND ask for more and she used to take 15 minutes and only eat half her plate
    Also , she does not eat main course AND dessert.
    Its either one or the other.
    Also , everytime we go to a fast food restaurant , she used to just eat that meal for the day and thats it ( sort of like unconscious fasting?
    She is not very active but she does workout a bit everyday.
  • suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »

Does your cousin consciously choose to eat that way? Like, I had a big dinner so I'll skip dessert, or I'll have that yummy dessert so I'll skip dinner? Or does she stop when she's full. My adult son does that. He stops when he's had enough. I wish I had his genes!!! Oh wait, I do!

I do wonder this about naturally thin ppl - I have a friend who is 60 now and just starting to gain a few pounds that she wants to lose, like for the first time in her life she has to pay attention. I have not known her all that long, but she tells me that for all her life up to now she has eaten "as she wants" and stayed at 8st 4lb and 5ft 6in tall .. that's pretty skinny!

I think either she is very blessed genetically or she has always moderated herself in ways that she might not have been conscious of. Ways that I am not capable of. It has got to be very conscious for me, and it requires constant vigilance which does, frankly, get me down and is certainly part of what goes wrong for me.

re the genes - your son has 1/2 of someone else's genes and they might be the vital ones!