DIET COKE VS COKE ZERO

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,030 Member
    Heh, my old boss used to say I was drinking "boy diet coke" when I drank Zero, he wouldn't believe me that they tasted different.
    He is correct :) except they do taste different, because while the ingredients are the same, they changed the proportions, which changes the flavor profile slightly. I did some reading on it awhile back.
    Men tend to avoid products that are called "diet" as male consumers associate that with women, but because they also like to lose weight (but resist calling it "dieting") so the name appeals to them. It was fascinating stuff, marketing guys are brutal with that psychology stuff they use on us! I can't recall where the stuff was, but I'm sure you can eventually find it by googling those related terms, if youre worried about all that.

Not worried, but I agree that it's fascinating. I have a degree in Media that I never used and remember that the marketing classes were really interesting. So much psychology goes into it!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Oh. And to answer the original question.

Pepsi Max cherry.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    I generally don't bother with them any more, but it used to be diet coke with lime. Coke zero just gets a passing score in my book.

If I can find it though, I will happily slurp my way through cans of diet dr. pepper all day long (It's kinda hard to find in Australia, and can cost upwards of $3 a can when you do :( )
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Pooshka2 wrote: »
    Neither. Studies have shown that diet sodas do NOT aid in weight loss. Too many artificial sweeteners and other icky chemicals. Water is your best friend if you're trying to drop a few pounds. Great for your kidneys and digestive system.

No one asked you.

I much prefer Zero. I preferred Pepsi Max until I realized that one of the energy drink components in it (guarana, which they've taken out, or ginseng) was giving me heart palpitations. I also really liked Diet Pepsi until they put Splenda in it. I'm glad they've put out a classic version, now.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,030 Member
    Neither. Studies have shown that diet sodas do NOT aid in weight loss. Too many artificial sweeteners and other icky chemicals. Water is your best friend if you're trying to drop a few pounds. Great for your kidneys and digestive system.

No one asked you.

I much prefer Zero. I preferred Pepsi Max until I realized that one of the energy drink components in it (guarana, which they've taken out, or ginseng) was giving me heart palpitations. I also really liked Diet Pepsi until they put Splenda in it. I'm glad they've put out a classic version, now.

Weird, Pepsi Max has never had that in it here. Mountain Dew doesn't have caffeine here either.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Bonus if it's a Coke Freestyle machine; those rock. I make a Diet Coke with lemon. OMG, so good.

I had to look this up as I don't think I've ever heard of this in the UK... OMG indeed. I just want one installed at my desk now. I'd be on that lemon Diet like a demon!! It's kind of an effort to bring a lemon into work and sit there slicing it into my glasses of Diet :3
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member

No one asked you.

Weird, Pepsi Max has never had that in it here. Mountain Dew doesn't have caffeine here either.

Diet Mt. Dew is how I survived high school. I can't even imagine it without caffeine.
  • highlightshadow
    highlightshadow Posts: 116 Member
    Pepsi Max cherry is lovely. Really fills a sweet crave. Ditto Dr pepper zero
  • cityruss
    edited January 2017
    Bonus if it's a Coke Freestyle machine; those rock. I make a Diet Coke with lemon. OMG, so good.

I had to look this up as I don't think I've ever heard of this in the UK... OMG indeed. I just want one installed at my desk now. I'd be on that lemon Diet like a demon!! It's kind of an effort to bring a lemon into work and sit there slicing it into my glasses of Diet :3

They have then in Five Guys burger places in the UK and some Pizza Huts have mini ones.

There's a slew of weird and wonderful creations you can make by mixing drinks.

Also as far as I know they're the only place in the UK to get Fanta grape flavour.

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/04/10-combinations-you-can-make-from-the-coca-cola-freestyle-machine.html

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017

So how does this answer the OP's question?

But, I lost 50lbs while drinking diet soda, improved all my health markers including getting a prediabetic glucose number down into the normal range, and I'm now several years into successful maintenance-one of the very few people who are actually maintaining long term- and I still drink diet soda every day. I'm in excellent health, have a bmi of around 21, have no health conditions anymore, take no medications and I rock a pair of size 4 jeans. So yeah, try again :p

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/making-healthy-food-choices/what-can-i-drink.html
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member

No one asked you.

Where are you? Pepsi max has ginseng and MTN dew caffeine here in Canada
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Coke Zero or Pepsi Max. Cant stand diet coke or pepsi for some reason.

Interesting. I'm all for Diet Coke and Pepsi Max but not the others.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    cityruss wrote: »

They have then in Five Guys burger places in the UK and some Pizza Huts have mini ones.

Also as far as I know they're the only place in the UK to get Fanta grape flavour.

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/04/10-combinations-you-can-make-from-the-coca-cola-freestyle-machine.html

I don't like the Freestyle machines. It was already possible to mix flavors from a regular fountain machine, and I've seen plenty of them at convenience/gas stations with buttons to add flavors like vanilla or grape. In fact, it's significantly faster to do so on a standard fountain machine because you don't have to go through menus to select different drinks.

Only one person can use a Freestyle machine at a time, which makes for long lines during lunch hours. There's no way to top off your Coke Zero while somebody else fills up their Mountain Dew.

If you don't give the dispense button an occasional press while waiting for the fizz to go down then the menu will go back to the start screen.

If a syrup cartridge goes out, then the entire machine is unavailable while it is changed. A standard soda fountain will still operate for all of the other flavors while the employee is changing out the empty syrup container.

I know it is subjective, but some of the flavors seem off. The syrup is significantly more concentrated than what is supplied for a standard fountain machine, so the specs don't need to be off by much to make a difference.

The machine also doesn't seem to rinse between selections. A few times I've selected water right after somebody dispensed a soda and there was enough syrup in the water to discolor it.

I can't think of a single improvement from a consumer experience perspective.
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    I think Coke Zero is a gateway drug to Diet Coke. Coke Zero tastes much more like regular Coke. Coke Zero tastes too sweet to me so I stick with Diet Coke.
  • cityruss
    ModernRock wrote: »
    cityruss wrote: »

I don't like the Freestyle machines. It was already possible to mix flavors from a regular fountain machine, and I've seen plenty of them at convenience/gas stations with buttons to add flavors like vanilla or grape. In fact, it's significantly faster to do so on a standard fountain machine because you don't have to go through menus to select different drinks.

Only one person can use a Freestyle machine at a time, which makes for long lines during lunch hours. There's no way to top off your Coke Zero while somebody else fills up their Mountain Dew.

If you don't give the dispense button an occasional press while waiting for the fizz to go down then the menu will go back to the start screen.

If a syrup cartridge goes out, then the entire machine is unavailable while it is changed. A standard soda fountain will still operate for all of the other flavors while the employee is changing out the empty syrup container.

I know it is subjective, but some of the flavors seem off. The syrup is significantly more concentrated than what is supplied for a standard fountain machine, so the specs don't need to be off by much to make a difference.

The machine also doesn't seem to rinse between selections. A few times I've selected water right after somebody dispensed a soda and there was enough syrup in the water to discolor it.

I can't think of a single improvement from a consumer experience perspective.

To be honest I haven't given it this much in depth thought.

I just push buttons and drink the ensuing drink.
  • findingone
    findingone Posts: 31 Member
    edited January 2017
    All I know is Coke Zero was imperative in me losing weight. I would house cans of it during the day. It actually gave me sanity throughout the whole experience. I love it and drink it to this day. 4 to 5 cans some days, some days more. But mostly water too mixed in. I give it 20 o 30% of the credit for me being faithful. When I was hungry or needing something, there was Coke Zero. That freaking soda is my buddy for life. You too water :)

So yeah, thank you Coke Zero in getting me from 335 to 185.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    If I had to choose, I would say Cherry Coke Zero.

However, I worship at the altar of Coca-Cola, so if I really want some pop, I make the calories work for a regular coke. I have had a 20 oz. coke in my fridge for two weeks, waiting for the day I can fit it in. :D