Do you refrigerate butter?

Options

Replies

• MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Depends on the butter. If I buy UNsalted butter, it stays in the fridge, of course I only buy this for certain recipes. Salted butter once I open a stick, goes on the counter in a crock, the rest stays in the fridge till I'm ready to use it. The salt is a preservative, and keeps it fresh. The only time I have dealt with mold, was when there were crumbs left in the butter
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    Not usually. Just keep it covered. We go through it fast enough that it doesn't go rancid. I do put the extra sticks in the fridge for storage. In the summer, I do refrigerate because it won't stay solid.

This is what I do, although now that I am living someplace with decent central AC will try to leave it out in the summer as well.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    RAinWA wrote: »
    We keep a stick in the covered butter dish on the counter and the rest in the fridge. Never had a problem with it going bad. We also don't refrigerate eggs if we only buy a dozen (we go through a dozen every 4 days of so).

We had chickens a few years back. Ya no reason to refrigerate them. Think I read some where that we in the US refrigerate them, but many places don't.

Whaddya say OP? Interested in refrigerated eggs?

I was in the wilds of Costa Rica for 6 weeks with no refrigeration (or electricity) whatsoever, including for eggs. Here in the US I do keep them in the frig.

seska422 wrote: »
    RAinWA wrote: »
    We keep a stick in the covered butter dish on the counter and the rest in the fridge. Never had a problem with it going bad. We also don't refrigerate eggs if we only buy a dozen (we go through a dozen every 4 days of so).

We had chickens a few years back. Ya no reason to refrigerate them. Think I read some where that we in the US refrigerate them, but many places don't.

Whaddya say OP? Interested in refrigerated eggs?

Even the supermarkets don't tend to refrigerate there over here.

I saw a documentary about eggs. The US requires that the exterior of eggs are cleaned/treated in such a way that a protective coating is removed from the egg and refrigeration is legally mandated. Other countries don't require that treatment and it's sometimes legally mandated that companies don't refrigerate them. It all depends upon where you live.

Hmm, wonder what is the deal for farm stand eggs and need for refrigeration.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I don't use much and always refrigerate my butter. Have let it out unintentionally on occasion w/o problem but it's not something I would ever do on purpose.

If I'm using it for toast, pancakes or waffles, I just pre-slice it thin and it's ready to spread w/in a few mins. If I need a lot for a recipe, I just cut off what I need and plop it into the appropriate pot or pan. Not a problem.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Growing up, my mom always left the utter dish with a stick of butter, out on the counter. It was disgusting. Anytime I actually wantednor needed butter, I went in the fridge and got a new stick of butter and cut a piece from that. When ever she would say something, I told her I'd rather her be upset with me for a few minutes than get sick from dairy that was left out for days and started to look like soup.

Now I buy land o lakes spreadable butter and I have turned her on to it as well. She always claimed to hate butter (well duh, it was rancid and disgusting) and now she likes it.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    MamaRiss wrote: »
    Depends on the butter. If I buy UNsalted butter, it stays in the fridge, of course I only buy this for certain recipes. Salted butter once I open a stick, goes on the counter in a crock, the rest stays in the fridge till I'm ready to use it. The salt is a preservative, and keeps it fresh. The only time I have dealt with mold, was when there were crumbs left in the butter

The fat is a preservative too. It shouldn't mold unless there are crumbs. Rancid is another matter. Most butter lasts 6-12 months before going rancid
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Just ordered a butter boat because of this thread. Usually keep in fridge, but now I'm gonna try a half stick in the boat, so the family can have buttered toast that isn't lumpy!!
  • macelmer
    macelmer Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yes, because we purchase nondairy butter, Earth Balance. But the folks who work with me keep real butter out on top of the fridge, which causes it to melt all over the place. I stopped picking up after them.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Nope. It's in the cupboard, once I've unwrapped a bar (the original box is kept in the fridge). Real butter, not margarine. I've never had a problem unless someone leaves crumbs behind, then it might mold. I hate hard butter! ;)

Exactly. Once the bar is unwrapped, we leave it on the counter in the butter dish.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    The stick in use sits in a covered butter dish at room temperature. With a family of four, it lasts less than a day or two and never goes bad.

You can't eat a lot of butter, but small amounts really enhance certain foods, so I go for it. I believe in eating a healthy amount of fat.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many use real butter?

Some is out and some is in the fridge at our house. Real butter. Never oleo. Never any problems leaving it out.

I use real butter. Always. I haven't had margarine in decades. I buy it, freeze it, take one stick out and it lives in the fridge. Unless I have a recipe where it calls for softened butter. These days it goes much further as I use less of it than I used to.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Growing up, my mom always left the utter dish with a stick of butter, out on the counter. It was disgusting. Anytime I actually wantednor needed butter, I went in the fridge and got a new stick of butter and cut a piece from that. When ever she would say something, I told her I'd rather her be upset with me for a few minutes than get sick from dairy that was left out for days and started to look like soup.

Now I buy land o lakes spreadable butter and I have turned her on to it as well. She always claimed to hate butter (well duh, it was rancid and disgusting) and now she likes it.

LOL
    Never in my life have we refrigerated butter - 46 years old, never got sick, never had rancid butter...my parents before me ate unrefrigerated butter all their lives (born in the late 1920s...) Only kept the extra in the fridge, always had the stick out on the counter.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    macelmer wrote: »
    Yes, because we purchase nondairy butter, Earth Balance. But the folks who work with me keep real butter out on top of the fridge, which causes it to melt all over the place. I stopped picking up after them.

That's not real buddah. :s
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    fr3smyl wrote: »
    I had no clue that there was an option of not refrigerating it.

This, LOL.
  • Braddlzz
    Braddlzz Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    We have 40-50 degree celcius summers... There is no way we can leave it out without it becoming a puddle

Even winter is like 25-30deg c
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    The container stays in the fridge, and I'll keep a quarter of a stick out to soften. It's fine for a few days to a week, unless it's the dead of summer. It's just me or me and my boyfriend, so we only need a little out at a time.
  • SkyFerret
    SkyFerret Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yes, because I live in Florida and it would go bad quickly otherwise. We used to have a butter bell, and that worked really well during the cooler months, but it broke a while back.
  • SkyFerret
    SkyFerret Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Wikipedia says "Butter remains a solid when refrigerated, but softens to a spreadable consistency at room temperature, and melts to a thin liquid consistency at 32–35 °C (90–95 °F)."

It's never that warm in my house unless the AC is broken. We have hot summers, Oklahoma USA.

Y'all really live and sleep in temps hot enough to melt butter?

Hot enough to melt the butter? No. Hot enough to speed up spoilage and promote mold growth? Absolutely. I keep my house between 76 and 82 degrees most of the year, any cooler and the AC costs would beggar me.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yes, we refrigerate. It's how we roll. I know you don't HAVE to but it makes me feel better to do so, plus we have some pesky ants that try and hang out in our home during the spring and I don't need a food source out in the open.

As far as spreading, I just take it out of the fridge a bit before eating or setting it on the stove helps to warm it a bit.

I think it's simply a personal preference related to what you are used to!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    We have 40-50 degree celcius summers... There is no way we can leave it out without it becoming a puddle

Even winter is like 25-30deg c

You winter is our hottest days of summer. LOL It's about -24C right now - I can feel it if you get within 2 feet of the walls. Brr.