Should I throw out all my peanut butter

Options

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Why's everyone so afraid of fat?

Because it has 9 calories per gram and is extremely easy to put you over your daily caloric intake. That aside, there is nothing wrong with dietary fat and is actually required for hormonal functions.

Exactly what I was getting at (sorry, I often forget that tone is very hard to read in text). There's nothing wrong with it, especially if you're getting it from nuts and seeds. People on here just always seem so quick to tell people to cut out ALL the fat.

Please post examples as I don't recall seeing that.
    I actually see the opposite stating that fat is an essential nutrient.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Because it has 9 calories per gram and is extremely easy to put you over your daily caloric intake. That aside, there is nothing wrong with dietary fat and is actually required for hormonal functions.

Exactly what I was getting at (sorry, I often forget that tone is very hard to read in text). There's nothing wrong with it, especially if you're getting it from nuts and seeds. People on here just always seem so quick to tell people to cut out ALL the fat.

I meant MFP in general, not this particular thread, which I stated in another reply.
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

did anyone suggest that?

I know i asked specifically what she's actually eating.

Did I say that you specifically said that?
    I said "people on here", as in MFP. There just seem to be a lot of people on this particular thread commenting on the fat content, which is why I brought it up.

No, but you did respond right after my post where i mention that nuts and seeds are almost pure fat, not "packed full of protein" like the OP suggested.

Just saying.

Because you were like the 20th person in a row that I had seen in the forums going straight for the fat, and even if you didn't mean to say it was necessarily bad, I all too often see people suggesting to vegans that they cut out all fatty forms of protein, which, as someone who was on a vegan/vegetarian diet for about 6 years, I know what a bad idea that is.
  • showerbeer182
    showerbeer182 Posts: 798 Member
    Options

did anyone suggest that?

I said "people on here", as in MFP. There just seem to be a lot of people on this particular thread commenting on the fat content, which is why I brought it up.

No, but you did respond right after my post where i mention that nuts and seeds are almost pure fat, not "packed full of protein" like the OP suggested.

Just saying.

Because you were like the 20th person in a row that I had seen in the forums going straight for the fat, and even if you didn't mean to say it was necessarily bad, I all too often see people suggesting to vegans that they cut out all fatty forms of protein, which, as someone who was on a vegan/vegetarian diet for about 6 years, I know what a bad idea that is.

As a lifelong vegetarian (26 YEARS now), I know that these are poor sources of protein if that's op's goal. If her goal is to eat protein there are far better sources when on a whopping 1,400 calories. I've even written a long post about this. Here's an excerpt on why nuts and seeds SUCK for protein:

"Often we see inadequate or poor sources of protein being touted for vegans and vegetarians. These include nuts, seeds, and some grains. In general these have less than 1 gram of protein per 15 calories. Today i’m here to share some of the highest protein sources for vegans and vegetarians. This list is not all-inclusive, but I’ve done my best to include as much as possible.

Vegetarians or Plant Based
    • Greek Yogurt- 17 grams of protein per 100 calories
    • Whey Protein-20 grams of protein per 100 calories (may vary slightly)
    • Eggs- 9 grams of protein per 100 calories
    • Cottage Cheese- 12 grams of protein per 100 calories
    • Egg Protein Powders– 21 grams of protein per 100 calories
    • Faux Meats- Including brands like Morningstar Farms ®, Gardein ®, Boca ®, Quorn ®, Tofurky ®, Amy’s ®, Yves Veggie Cuisine ®, Beyond Meat ®, Tofutti ®, and more. Some of these products may be vegan, while others may include egg or dairy ingredients. Calories vary, but generally range in the 18-20 g per 100 calories range
    • Protein Bars- including many popular bars like: combat crunch ®, quest ®, fitjoy ®, mission 1 ®, fit crunch ®, lenny and larry’s ®, grenade carb killa ®, oh yeah! ®, pure protein ®, and more! Calories vary but generally range in the 9-10 grams of protein per 100 calorie range.

Vegan
    • Tempeh & Natto– 10 grams of protein per 100 calories
    • Lentils– 8 grams of protein per 100 calories
    • Tofu– 11 grams of protein per 100 calories
    • Soybeans/Edamame- 9 grams of protein per 100 calories
    • Pea Protein Powder- 20 grams of protein per 100 calories
    • Hemp Protein Powder- 12 grams of protein per 100 calories
    • Soy Protein Powder- 24 grams of protein per 100 calories
    • Brown Rice Protein Powder- 23 grams of protein per 100 calories
    • Protein Bars- Including many popular bars like: Simply protein ®, Cliff Builder’s Bars ®, NuGo ®, and more! Calories vary but generally range in the 9-10 grams of protein per 100 calorie range.

While there are many other protein sources found in plant foods, many are not “good” sources of protein. I consider these poor sources of protein as they lack the full amino acid spectrum and you would have to consume a high number of calories to obtain the same range of protein as the above.

Just a Few Sub-Par Protein Sources:
    • Brown Rice- 2.3 grams of protein per 100 calories. You would have to eat over 500 calories of brown rice to obtain a measly 10 grams of protein.
    • Oats- 4.25 grams of protein per 100 calories. You’d have to consume a whopping 400 calories for only 17 g of protein.
    • Nuts and Seeds (Almonds in this example)- 3.6 grams of protein per 100 calories. You’d have to eat over 550 calories worth just to get 20 grams of protein.
    • Nut Butters (Peanut butter in this example)- 4.3 grams of protein per 100 calories. You’d have to eat over 460 calories for 20 grams of protein.
    • Quinoa- 3.6 grams of protein per 100 calories. You’d have to eat over 550 calories worth just to get 20 grams of protein.
    "

I could go on, but essentially, these protein sources provide poor amounts of protein, lack many amino acids (specifically lysine which is a common low amino acid in vegetarians and vegans), and provide too many overall calories for their protein content.

Please tell me how using peanut butter as a source of protein would work on a 1,400 calorie vegan diet. You'd have to eat 1/3 of your calorie goal to get a measly 20 grams. Don't even get me started on the fact that vegans and vegetarians need MORE overall protein to account for incomplete protein sources.

Are fats bad? am i saying to cut fats, nuts, or seeds? No, but they certainly aren't a good source of PROTEIN.

You totally stole my response!!! I was going to say the same thing!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

I meant MFP in general, not this particular thread, which I stated in another reply.

OK will take your word for that, hope you corrected them - I don't actually recall any instance where people said to reduce fat to zero.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    OP, What's hard about getting exactly as much peanut butter as you budgeted in your daily food plan?

I'm serious. Use a scale, or use a pre-measured retail portion as you say. Nuts are good for you. Have some.
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options

did anyone suggest that?

Just saying.

As a lifelong vegetarian (26 YEARS now), I know that these are poor sources of protein if that's op's goal. If her goal is to eat protein there are far better sources when on a whopping 1,400 calories. I've even written a long post about this. Here's an excerpt on why nuts and seeds SUCK for protein:

"Often we see inadequate or poor sources of protein being touted for vegans and vegetarians. These include nuts, seeds, and some grains. In general these have less than 1 gram of protein per 15 calories. Today i’m here to share some of the highest protein sources for vegans and vegetarians. This list is not all-inclusive, but I’ve done my best to include as much as possible.

• Faux Meats- Including brands like Morningstar Farms ®, Gardein ®, Boca ®, Quorn ®, Tofurky ®, Amy’s ®, Yves Veggie Cuisine ®, Beyond Meat ®, Tofutti ®, and more. Some of these products may be vegan, while others may include egg or dairy ingredients. Calories vary, but generally range in the 18-20 g per 100 calories range
    • Protein Bars- including many popular bars like: combat crunch ®, quest ®, fitjoy ®, mission 1 ®, fit crunch ®, lenny and larry’s ®, grenade carb killa ®, oh yeah! ®, pure protein ®, and more! Calories vary but generally range in the 9-10 grams of protein per 100 calorie range.

Vegan
    • Protein Bars- Including many popular bars like: Simply protein ®, Cliff Builder’s Bars ®, NuGo ®, and more! Calories vary but generally range in the 9-10 grams of protein per 100 calorie range.

While there are many other protein sources found in plant foods, many are not “good” sources of protein. I consider these poor sources of protein as they lack the full amino acid spectrum and you would have to consume a high number of calories to obtain the same range of protein as the above.

• Brown Rice- 2.3 grams of protein per 100 calories. You would have to eat over 500 calories of brown rice to obtain a measly 10 grams of protein.
    • Oats- 4.25 grams of protein per 100 calories. You’d have to consume a whopping 400 calories for only 17 g of protein.
    • Nuts and Seeds (Almonds in this example)- 3.6 grams of protein per 100 calories. You’d have to eat over 550 calories worth just to get 20 grams of protein.
    • Nut Butters (Peanut butter in this example)- 4.3 grams of protein per 100 calories. You’d have to eat over 460 calories for 20 grams of protein.
    • Quinoa- 3.6 grams of protein per 100 calories. You’d have to eat over 550 calories worth just to get 20 grams of protein.
    "

I could go on, but essentially, these protein sources provide poor amounts of protein, lack many amino acids (specifically lysine which is a common low amino acid in vegetarians and vegans), and provide too many overall calories for their protein content.

Please tell me how using peanut butter as a source of protein would work on a 1,400 calorie vegan diet. You'd have to eat 1/3 of your calorie goal to get a measly 20 grams. Don't even get me started on the fact that vegans and vegetarians need MORE overall protein to account for incomplete protein sources.

Are fats bad? am i saying to cut fats, nuts, or seeds? No, but they certainly aren't a good source of PROTEIN.

Lord, OK, I wasn't saying she should use it as her only source of protein (in fact, I also made a comment on here suggesting other great sources of vegan protein, which include many on your list), I was simply trying to say that people need to be less afraid of fat, particularly if they're eating a largely plant-based diet, in which they're not getting as much fat with their protein sources as meat-eaters might get.
  • jamieparadis20
    jamieparadis20 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you cant control yourself around peanut butter (I'm the same), then yes, stop buying it. But my first thought about craving PB is the fat it contains, not protein which it isnt particularly high in. How much fat are averaging without the peanut butter addition?

Around 42 grams, but 53 is my goal.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

did anyone suggest that?

Just saying.

Vegan

"

Lord, OK, I wasn't saying she should use it as her only source of protein (in fact, I also made a comment on here suggesting other great sources of vegan protein, which include many on your list), I was simply trying to say that people need to be less afraid of fat, particularly if they're eating a largely plant-based diet, in which they're not getting as much fat with their protein sources as meat-eaters might get.

So... we're on the same page then. :neutral:

"Nuts and seeds are almost all fat, not protein, but i'd want to see what you're currently eating. If you're having such strong cravings, it kind of makes you wonder what is insufficient in your current diet."
  • unsuspectingfish
    edited January 2017
    Options

OK will take your word for that, hope you corrected them - I don't actually recall any instance where people said to reduce fat to zero.

That's because there's like thousands of posts on here per hour. Unless you're spending all day on here, there's a good chance that you're not seeing absolutely everything posted, so logically, there's going to be things that both of us see that the other will not.
  • jamieparadis20
    Options
    malindak12 wrote: »
    Is all natural peanut butter healthy?

At home, yes. At school, no. But even if it is healthy it's making me go way over my macro goals for fat
  • jamieparadis20
    Options
    I would say first of all, how much fat and protein are you getting in your diet?

Nuts and seeds are almost all fat, not protein, but i'd want to see what you're currently eating. If you're having such strong cravings, it kind of makes you wonder what is insufficient in your current diet.

My macro goals are 99 G protein and 53 g fat but normally I'm a little lower in fat and higher in protein
  • jordan_bowden
    jordan_bowden Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I also have the same problem! I am also a vegan and I can control any binges until pnb comes into the equation because then it's game OVER! Lately I have been managing to control these moments of weakness by eating intuitively. Asking myself,"do I really need this ? Am I making a mindFUL or mindLESS food choice ?"
    At some stages that wasn't enough to stop me so I would use it all up on foods that I cannot eat(bread) and offer it to family members or mix some animal product like butter in so that I wouldn't even want it. After several days, this helped me to realize that I was perfectly fine without it and i wasn't even craving it before, I just WANTED it. That really helped me gain more self control and I no longer feel so powerless when I open the cupboard.
    Sometimes snacking on something healthier like dates or apple slices also helps, just to divert your mind without leaving you drowning in regret or guilt.
    You can absolutely escape this cycle and I believe in you!
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have a peanut butter addiction too. It's one of the things I just can't have around because I'm not going to have just a tablespoon. I think peanut butter is more of a fat source than a protein source really. It's not that those fats are bad, it's just hard to portion when it tastes so good. Also I think peanut butter is just too convenient when my willpower is low. No need to prep, chop, cook....just put a spoon in and have at it. It's easier for me just to not buy it. I still have my healthy fats, but I'm not exactly going to binge on a bunch of olive oil.
  • jamieparadis20
    Options
    OP, What's hard about getting exactly as much peanut butter as you budgeted in your daily food plan?

I'm serious. Use a scale, or use a pre-measured retail portion as you say. Nuts are good for you. Have some.

I know, and it's pretty embarrassing how hard it is for me, but every time I try measuring out a tablespoon I always end up going back into the jar with a spoon and eating an extra 200 calories worth. I have good self control with basically everything else, there's just something about peanut butter that's really hard for me
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I hear you!! Peanut butter will ruin my life. I throw it out and go back for it. It's really the one thing I can't have around!
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options

did anyone suggest that?

Just saying.

Vegan

"

So... we're on the same page then. :neutral:

"Nuts and seeds are almost all fat, not protein, but i'd want to see what you're currently eating. If you're having such strong cravings, it kind of makes you wonder what is insufficient in your current diet."

Looks like. Like I said, I often forget that tone doesn't come through in text, and that I really should be more precise in what I say.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I have peanut butter and peanuts everyday to increase my fat intake. I weigh out the exact portion I need the night before and put the jar/bag away. I know that if I go back and get more, I am sabotaging my progress for a few seconds of enjoyment which is not worth it. It all depends on where your priorities are!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

I know, and it's pretty embarrassing how hard it is for me, but every time I try measuring out a tablespoon I always end up going back into the jar with a spoon and eating an extra 200 calories worth. I have good self control with basically everything else, there's just something about peanut butter that's really hard for me

Ya, when I feel this way about foods (out of control) I don't have them in the house. Occasionally I'll try again in 6 months or so. I see you eat almond butter - I agree it's not nearly as yummy as PB, but it does fill the same niche.

I'm also going to suggest eating more legumes.