Crying today..... Advice needed. So sad!

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
So yesterday my dog was diagnosed with having cancer of the lymph nodes. The vet is 99% sure she has lymphoma, but took some slides of the inside of the tumors to send away anyway. Husband and I were gone for 2 weeks in Germany and Ireland and when we got back we noticed all her lymph nodes were swollen. Now she's vomiting and not eating. She is a 12 year old German shorthaired pointer. We got her when she was 7 weeks old. Not sure yet if chemo will help her or not. We need to talk to an oncologist to see if chemo is worth it for only a few more months. My 7 year old daughter is not taking this well and woke me up 3 times last night crying.

So now I'm crying just thinking about life without our beloved doggie. We will miss her so much.

Sorry, just needed to vent.

Lisa

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    So sorry about your dog :(
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    *biggest hugs* this is a tough tough decision.

What will doggie's quality of life be like for those few extra months? If chemo on dogs is anything like chemo on humans, it could be very rough - both on your dear fur baby, as well as on your daughter.

So sorry to hear you, your family and your puppy are hurting

:(
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry. They are such a huge part of our lives for the short time they are here with us. That's the hardest part of loving a pet, letting them go when it's time.

You say you want advice in your title. I'm not sure if you do or not, but do keep in mind that chemo won't give your girl much longer and that extending her time here with you is for your benefit, not hers. It's a hard thing to face and it's hard not to feel regrets, but she's 12 and has a really good, long life with you.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Losing a pet is tough, there's no denying it. I'm so sorry for you and your precious puppers. The only advice I can give is to hug and love your GSP as much as humanly possible and do what's best for her. ((hugs))
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I am currently going through one of my kitties with tumors (cancerous) and had just lost one to a rare cancer.
    Spend what time you have making her happy as you can, but all things do come to an end, and pets remind you often :(
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    ((( big hugs)))
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Oh geeze. **hugs** Yeah, talk to the doctor, see what they say. Make the dog as comfortable as you can. **hugs**
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Oh, I wanted to add that my sister's dog was diagnosed with lymphoma last August. The vet put her on steroids to help with the swelling. It also helps with their appetite.

Have you tried feeding her canned food or boiling up some rice and chicken to see if that would be something she would eat?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry. 12-13 is a pretty long life for that breed and I'm sure she's had a wonderful life.

I was about your daughter's age when we had to put down our white German shepherd who my parents had when I was born and she literally saved my life three times. It was tough, but I got through it. My mom kept me home from school that day and took me to the vet when she took the dog.

This is never easy.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. That's so hard. The only advice I can give is to just try hard to enjoy being with her now and wait until you know for sure what the options are. Then in my opinion it comes down to quality of life. Ask what the side effects of the chemo would be, and if it would be possible to keep her comfortable and at home.
  • RockClimber69
    RockClimber69 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear that! It's so hard to have to make these decisions. I agree, spend as much time as you can with her, keep her happy & comfortable and know that she's had a good life. :'(
  • fromtheghetto
    Options
    so sorry to hear...I have 3 dogs myself and I know how hard it can be to have one of them sick...I will be praying for you and your dog...charlie
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear this.

2 years ago my dog Jack was diagnosed with lymphoma. He had been sick on and off for 6 months but did not show the classic signs of cancer so it was not until the vet finally did a blood test to see because he was dumbfounded as to why jack was sick, that we finally got the diagnosis. It has spread to his organs as well.

It was stage 4 and while Chemo was an option, the outcome was not good. I spent the rest of my time with him letting him know how much he was loved and saying my final goodbyes. 8 days later I had to let him cross the rainbow bridge because the pain was obvious and his stool had turned red from the blood. It was the hardest decision I had to ever make and quite honestly, I am still not ready to let another dog in my heart.

Now that you have the diagnosis, the decision to do Chemo is yours but for a 12 year old dog, its hard to decide. Chemo is expensive. Maybe the time could be better spent letting him be a dog and saying goodbye but dont prolong it. Dogs can and do cry, its a sign of pain. Once you notice the pain, let him go.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Sorry your dog and your family are hurting.

I am going to second what Mirey said. Look at the quality of life the dog will have for a few extra months. If it is in pain and is still going to suffer the hardest but kindest thing you could ever do is let it god.

I know that sounds really cold but I had to put 2 of mine down a year apart and it is the hardest and most heart breaking thing to do but also the kindest.

I wish you all the best in whatever choice you make.
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry =(. My mom and dad had a German Short haired pointer that got sick with the same thing. By the time they found it, she was so sick they just decided to put her to sleep. I'll keep you in my prayers as you struggle through your decision process. Dogs are not just dogs to us, they are part of our family. Mine are like my kids. My heart goes out to you. :heart:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry!! That's so sad. :(

For what it's worth when our first dog had cancer -- she kept having tumors popping up and at first they were benign but then they started to become cancerous -- we took her for chemo treatments. We spent a LOT of money on the treatments and probably prolonged her life maybe an extra 4-6 months? After a while the treatments just weren't working so we decided to stop them and had to have her put down.

It's a decision that you and your family needs to make. While we did give our dog an extra few months of life and she wasn't suffering at all during this time (her actions lead me to believe she wasn't) she probably would have been better off if we didn't go that route and just let her go.

The treatments for the cancer didn't have the same effect as they do on humans. She wasn't sick, didn't lose any fur or anything like that.
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Toughest decision EVER. I'm so sorry. It just sucks, it really does. I will tell you, do what's best for the dog, whatever you feel that may be. It sounds like you and your family are the best owners ever, and know that your dog is the best example of living in the now so just spend every last moment loving her as much as you always have. Make every remaining day for her as special as you can.

I'm just so sorry. *hugs to you and your family* :cry:
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    Losing a pet is tough, there's no denying it. I'm so sorry for you and your precious puppers. The only advice I can give is to hug and love your GSP as much as humanly possible and do what's best for her. ((hugs))

This...and **Big hugs** for you...I'm so sorry :(
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I have lost dogs to cancer as well and it is very heartbreaking as they are like children to my husband and I. We have never gone the chemo route, as I believe that dogs live for the moment and that if they are very sick and do not have an good quality of life, then it is not worth it to extend their suffering. However, each case is different and if you can afford to get a few more comfortable, pain free months, that could be an option. Please remember not to mourn overmuch, as you have given her a loving home for 12 years. Many, many dogs are not so lucky to have loving families! When the time comes, whatever your decision, be proud of the good life you gave your dog and cherish all your memories with her.
  • autumnpath
    autumnpath Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry....I just lost my dog in May to cancer...she was older too....I chose not to pursue chemo with her....her being so old, it would have only added to her suffering....and I chose to put her down in May....it tore my heart into a million pieces....

Spend lots of quality time with your dog....give her anything she wants....as for chemo, only you can decide that, but it wasn't the right option for me....I knew when it was "time" to put her to sleep....we all want to hang on to our beloved pets, but bottom line is we have a responsibility to them...even if it's the heartbreaking choice to let them go....