A calorie is a calorie ...

Options

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    lizery wrote: »
    Because there are soooooo many posts on here were users advocate others eating whatever junk they want because 'a calorie is a calorie', so long as there is a deficit.

FWIW, I have never seen a post advocating "eating whatever junk they want because 'a calorie is a calorie', so long as there is a deficit." Not once. The posts I've seen advocate watching calories for weight loss and macros for health & satiety. And occasionally that fitting modest treats or "junk" into one's calorie and macro goals may promote enjoyment and sustainability.

Those are not the same. This discussion seems to illustrate those messages get conflated.

I agree and would follow this up with the question of the definition of junk food. Those who eat a version of a "clean" diet wouldn't have the same definition of junk food as someone who eats high carb, for instance. And if you think about it, if you have a high enough calorie goal you can certainly meet your macros and micros eating fast food - there's plenty of choices available. Note that I'm not advocating this, I'm just pointing out that "junk" food is completely subjective and is usually used as shorthand for "food that doesn't fit with my nutrition goals so you shouldn't eat it".
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Just do me a favor and research how blood sugar and insulin affect weight gain/loss. Then tell me I'm wrong. In strictly terms of a measurement of energy, yes calories are just a unit of measurement. But that's not what was implied. We are talking about calories compared with calories in different foods. And even with exercise. You can't just create a calorie deficit and lose weight. It's just not that simple.

And yet, there are tons of people who've done it...

And somehow this consistently gets glossed over...
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    lizery wrote: »
    Because there are soooooo many posts on here were users advocate others eating whatever junk they want because 'a calorie is a calorie', so long as there is a deficit.

FWIW, I have never seen a post advocating "eating whatever junk they want because 'a calorie is a calorie', so long as there is a deficit." Not once. The posts I've seen advocate watching calories for weight loss and macros for health & satiety. And occasionally that fitting modest treats or "junk" into one's calorie and macro goals may promote enjoyment and sustainability.

Those are not the same. This discussion seems to illustrate those messages get conflated.

I agree and would follow this up with the question of the definition of junk food. Those who eat a version of a "clean" diet wouldn't have the same definition of junk food as someone who eats high carb, for instance. And if you think about it, if you have a high enough calorie goal you can certainly meet your macros and micros eating fast food - there's plenty of choices available. Note that I'm not advocating this, I'm just pointing out that "junk" food is completely subjective and is usually used as shorthand for "food that doesn't fit with my nutrition goals so you shouldn't eat it".

Yes because if I ate nothing but broccoli all day (a "healthy" food) I would be just as malnourished as if I ate "junk" all day...

Depending on the junk, I would think you could get a better range of macros and micros.

As a general response to this thread, not the quoted poster: I've never understood the extremist arguments that are so often thrown about. Moderation means eating nothing but junk. CICO proponents only worry about calories, never about nutrition. There's little attempt to consider what others are saying when it doesn't fit the chosen world view.
  • sydney_bosque
    sydney_bosque Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    https://authoritynutrition.com/debunking-the-calorie-myth/

This is what weight loss is all about.
  • sydney_bosque
    sydney_bosque Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    https://authoritynutrition.com/debunking-the-calorie-myth/

This is what weight loss is all about.

After reading through the responses to your posts, from people who have actually successfully lost weight, this is how you respond? Now I am starting to think you're just trolling us. But if you're not then I wish you lots of luck with your weight loss efforts because you're going to need it :p

As I have also successfully lost weight, that part of your argument is invalid. But, if you would rather post blogs about some random person who ate junk and the number on the scale moved as proof, then ok. Losing a number is not the same as losing fat. That's all there is to it.