Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I had a somehow greasy vegan taco fest on Sunday :P
    Didn't gain weight :P

I ate out twice this past weekend and was down on the scale this morning ;)

To chime in, 3 days ago we had a popcorn and funnel food night so that's what I had for dinner. I wasn't starving. In fact I ended the day with calories left over because I wasn't hungry. "Junk" food contributed more to my calories than usual that day but it's okay. I'm about half a pound down. It's all about balance, not just balance for the day (some days can be pretty poor nutritionally and it wouldn't affect health negatively if most of the days are nutritious), but balance in the diet as a whole.

neubys7ofux8.png
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options

To chime in, 3 days ago we had a popcorn and funnel food night so that's what I had for dinner. I wasn't starving. In fact I ended the day with calories left over because I wasn't hungry. "Junk" food contributed more to my calories than usual that day but it's okay. I'm about half a pound down. It's all about balance, not just balance for the day (some days can be pretty poor nutritionally and it wouldn't affect health negatively if most of the days are nutritious), but balance in the diet as a whole.

neubys7ofux8.png

That's what some people just can't seem to wrap their minds around. I honestly don't understand the 'all or nothing' mentality and that's just not realistic for me. Because of my medical history I knew going into this process right from day one that I needed to focus on the long term/big picture, otherwise I would be one of the millions that fail at long term weight loss adherence, and end up like many of my overweight/obese family members who have/had type 2 diabetes (several who have died from complications to their weight and diabetes).

Eating a wide variety of foods that I enjoy is what's going to be sustainable for me, for the next 40+ years. It's also produced the results I need- I'm no longer a pre-diabetic, I have a bmi of around 21 and I'm one of the very few people who are successfully maintaining weight loss. To have a pp say that I'm doing things the wrong way and I actually haven't been able to lose weight or improve my health because of the foods I eat is utterly bizarre to me :p
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

neubys7ofux8.png

That's what some people just can't seem to wrap their minds around. I honestly don't understand the 'all or nothing' mentality and that's just not realistic for me. Because of my medical history I knew going into this process right from day one that I needed to focus on the long term/big picture, otherwise I would be one of the millions that fail at long term weight loss adherence, and end up like many of my overweight/obese family members who have/had type 2 diabetes (several who have died from complications to their weight and diabetes).

Eating a wide variety of foods that I enjoy is what's going to be sustainable for me, for the next 40+ years. It's also produced the results I need- I'm no longer a pre-diabetic, I have a bmi of around 21 and I'm one of the very few people who are successfully maintaining weight loss. To have a pp say that I'm doing things the wrong way and I actually haven't been able to lose weight or improve my health because of the foods I eat is utterly bizarre to me :p

Exactly. I have lost more than 100 pounds and went from the highest end of prediabetic range to safely normal. From hypertensive to normal. From 300+ triglycerides to 110. Yet I hear my health must be worse and the 100+ pounds I lost included no loss of body fat?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    AFGP11 wrote: »
    I don't get why people have to get so upset over what other people eat. If you're completely focused on whether someone else is doing it the same way you are, you need to work on your self esteem, not just your diet. If you ask someone who is very successful and fit what they do to get that way, you can't be offended that they don't tell you "I ate pizza, fries and cake the whole time!" because people who are very serious about health are never going to do that. Everyone is here for different reasons. Many seem to be here to lose weight at the cost of anything else. They won't exercise (used to be me), won't eat a vegetable and then complain that they are starving on their two pieces of pizza and two donuts a day. They refuse to accept that a focus on nutrition AND calories is how many of us get to eat enough food for satiety and get offended when you tell them this has been your successful plan. Someone eating kale is not an indictment of your food choices. Just look back over at your own plate if you can't say anything nice whether you eat clean 100% of the time or 0%.

I disagree. The majority are not living off of 2 pieces of pizza and 2 donuts a day and don't exercise. I'm not sure where you see that

That'd be like 500 calories. No wonder those hypothetical people are starving.

Damn, what kind of pizza and donuts are *you* eating? I calculated that at about 1200 calories.

I'm not gonna lie tho about the bread and chocolate diet. I'm all in for that. :)
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

Side note: I love your username for I love cats.
    On the other side, scale didn't move a single gram for me, either up or down, so I guess that's still good,gonna get measurements tomorrow :3
  • ieroen
    ieroen Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    Because there are soooooo many posts on here were users advocate others eating whatever junk they want because 'a calorie is a calorie', so long as there is a deficit.

I don't really have anything new to add to the conversation, I was just reminded of something that I recently came across in the book 'New Rules of Lifting'. This subject is mentioned as something that grinds the author's gears:

"Differentiating calories. I started this chapter by mentioning a statement that drives me nuts: “If you want to lose weight, eat less and exercise more.” There’s another that I find even more maddening: “A calorie is a calorie.” This one isn’t half-true. It’s wholly false. Your body processes different calories in different ways. It uses much more energy to digest protein than to digest carbohydrates, and more to digest carbohydrates than fat." - from L. Schuler and A. Cosgrove, The New Rules of Lifting, p. 263.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    ieroen wrote: »
    Because there are soooooo many posts on here were users advocate others eating whatever junk they want because 'a calorie is a calorie', so long as there is a deficit.

I don't really have anything new to add to the conversation, I was just reminded of something that I recently came across in the book 'New Rules of Lifting'. This subject is mentioned as something that grinds the author's gears:

"Differentiating calories. I started this chapter by mentioning a statement that drives me nuts: “If you want to lose weight, eat less and exercise more.” There’s another that I find even more maddening: “A calorie is a calorie.” This one isn’t half-true. It’s wholly false. Your body processes different calories in different ways. It uses much more energy to digest protein than to digest carbohydrates, and more to digest carbohydrates than fat." - from L. Schuler and A. Cosgrove, The New Rules of Lifting, p. 263.

From a pair of fitness experts, not nutrition...
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Never change, MFP. Never change.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

You obviously haven't been to the Easy Mac thread yet.,,,

:D
    I barfed while reading it.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

Sure, thermic effect exists and is higher for protein rich foods, but that would not make a tangible practical difference within a normal diet. Sure you can burn 100 extra calories or so if you eat more than 80% of your calories in protein, but who does that? Even if we take thermic effect into consideration, the protein in McDonald's burger is processed similarly to a home cooked clean organic grass fed meal with the same macros.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Sure, thermic effect exists and is higher for protein rich foods, but that would not make a tangible practical difference within a normal diet. Sure you can burn 100 extra calories or so if you eat more than 80% of your calories in protein, but who does that? Even if we take thermic effect into consideration, the protein in McDonald's burger is processed similarly to a home cooked clean organic grass fed meal with the same macros.

As clearly evidenced in this study: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-fast-food-meal.html/
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Good read. I have always firmly believed that many people follow these different diet for a sense of belonging and to boost their egos.

There are certainly less decisions to be made when someone follows a strict preset (to be nice I won't call it a cult) list of do's and don't's. I think that is why at one point diets such as Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem and et al were so popular. People didn't have to make decisions...just eat the pre-made pre-determind meals.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Bookmarked and thank you for this.

Still can't believe there is a blood type diet.
  • NoNameJustMe
    NoNameJustMe Posts: 86 Member
    Options

Bookmarked and thank you for this.

Still can't believe there is a blood type diet.

^^^Ditto! Excellent article.