A calorie is a calorie ...

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

There are absolutely patterns of foods and behaviors that work to keep people healthy and fit without consciously counting calories. That doesn't mean that people can't successfully track their calories and exercise and use that to regulate their weight. Two different methods of controlling your calories; same outcome.

Is one method better than the other? My bias is towards good food and eating habits just because that's what I grew up with. But we see everyday that people are maintaining their weight counting calories regardless of food choice as well. They both work. And they both can compliment each other as well, it does not have to be all or nothing.

And for the most part, that's what you learn from experience. Not books, studies and or blog posts...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    mbean94 wrote: »
    I don't understand why people are arguing about this, I thought the science of calories in calories out was a known fact? I learned this at high school?!
    Of course if you eat less calories than you burn you will lose weight! I developed an eating disorder when I was 14 in which I only consumed a snickers bar and a handful of gummy bears a day and lost a lot of weight VERY fast. Dangerously fast, I've got no idea where this "starvation mode" myth comes from. (I'm not advocating anyone doing this by the way)
    My metabolism is fine now I eat 1900-2000 cals a day and maintain my weight (54kg 164cm)
    Weight loss is not an issue for me so I focus on hitting my macros for strength training and overall nutrition. What your eat makes no difference for weight loss

It's a myth in the context it is used here. "If I eat less then 1200 calories a day my body will go into starvation mode and hold on to the fat I want to lose..."

At least that's how I understand it...
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Are you even reading the blogs that you are posting? Or just reading the title and hoping no one else will bother reading it either and just acquiesce to your self-proclaimed superior knowledge base?

I have to say that there has only been one other poster who was so good a posting things that would counter their claims (RIP Breeze).

Oh, I remember a thread from a few years ago. I don't remember exactly what the debate was about, but the person posted a link to livestrong as "proof." Then mentioned that the article cited a particular study. Guess what? The study (data, conclusions, and abstract) literally said exactly the opposite of what livestrong and that poster was arguing.

Media interpretation of scientific studies is so entertaining.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Are you even reading the blogs that you are posting? Or just reading the title and hoping no one else will bother reading it either and just acquiesce to your self-proclaimed superior knowledge base?

I have to say that there has only been one other poster who was so good a posting things that would counter their claims (RIP Breeze).

Oh, I remember a thread from a few years ago. I don't remember exactly what the debate was about, but the person posted a link to livestrong as "proof." Then mentioned that the article cited a particular study. Guess what? The study (data, conclusions, and abstract) literally said exactly the opposite of what livestrong and that poster was arguing.

Media interpretation of scientific studies is so entertaining idiotic.

FIFY

Same side of a different coin, or something like that :laugh: