A calorie is a calorie ...

Options

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Bookmarked and thank you for this.

Still can't believe there is a blood type diet.

Seriously, it was a thing years ago. My bloodtype is AB neg and a couple of (younger) family members actually asked if I read the book. Very depressing news for AB blood types - we're very fragile and apparently most food gives us cancer.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Seriously, it was a thing years ago. My bloodtype is AB neg and a couple of (younger) family members actually asked if I read the book. Very depressing news for AB blood types - we're very fragile and apparently most food gives us cancer.

I got blood drawn at my job for a screening and the phlebotomist told me I should read up on the blood type diet!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's still a thing!
  • jknightoz
    jknightoz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That graphic is a horrible example of what you should eat. 263g of carbs in 1 day? Ridiculous. True, weight will probably be lost, but nobody should eat that many grams of carbs in a day unless they are crazy super active. Eating like that will make you fat, even if your number on the scale goes down. Skinny-fat is a real thing. I CrossFit and power lift. I burn anywhere from 800-2k calories 5x a week and don't eat more than 100g per day. My goal is 15% of my daily calories coming from carbohydrates. If all you care about is the number on the scale, great. Eat whatever you want and never go over your calorie goal. That number will go down. But as it does, so does your calorie goal. If you care about fat loss and building lean muscle then you need to pay attention to the macros of what you're putting in your mouth. More lean muscle means your RMR is higher which means even though you lose weight, you get to keep eating.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

Eh. I almost lost a friend over the blood type diet (mind you that was in 1998). She insisted that it's the only way to lose weight. I insisted I have no clue what my blood type is. (Still don't. I should probably get that determined one of these days).

TBH... I don't get that there's even an argument pertaining to a unit of measurement. It just seems silly to me. Same as it seems silly to me that the diet lauded as 'healthy' is a vegetarian diet (in the article in the OP). It's almost as if there's no middle ground between high carb, high fat on one side and no meat on the other.

Not to mention... homemade lasagna is probably the yummiest dish ever!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    jknightoz wrote: »
    That graphic is a horrible example of what you should eat. 263g of carbs in 1 day? Ridiculous. True, weight will probably be lost, but nobody should eat that many grams of carbs in a day unless they are crazy super active. Eating like that will make you fat, even if your number on the scale goes down. Skinny-fat is a real thing. I CrossFit and power lift. I burn anywhere from 800-2k calories 5x a week and don't eat more than 100g per day. My goal is 15% of my daily calories coming from carbohydrates. If all you care about is the number on the scale, great. Eat whatever you want and never go over your calorie goal. That number will go down. But as it does, so does your calorie goal. If you care about fat loss and building lean muscle then you need to pay attention to the macros of what you're putting in your mouth. More lean muscle means your RMR is higher which means even though you lose weight, you get to keep eating.

Different macro combinations work for different people.

Adequate protein is important for muscle retention, but that is usually a constant number. If you are an active person and your TDEE is higher due to activity, you can more or less keep protein constant and fill the rest with what you want.

Eating a high amount of carbs != skinny fat unless you're running a huge deficit and not getting enough protein.
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    jknightoz wrote: »

Excuse me? I eat, well less, 214 grams and I don't see no problem here Mister.
  • mph323
    Options

I got blood drawn at my job for a screening and the phlebotomist told me I should read up on the blood type diet!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's still a thing!

Oh wow! I'm appalled! And somehow not surprised :-(
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This pops up on MFP every once in a while.

I'm a B, and apparently we are supposed to eat like riders on the steppes (or Dothraki, as I like to think of it). Recommendations are lots of goat, absolutely no chicken, and fermented mare's milk (well, this last one was really just lots of dairy, but I like it my way).

I love that diet.

Well, I'm also B, but I'll pass on the goat. Totally down with the dairy, though.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

I'm a B, and apparently we are supposed to eat like riders on the steppes (or Dothraki, as I like to think of it). Recommendations are lots of goat, absolutely no chicken, and fermented mare's milk (well, this last one was really just lots of dairy, but I like it my way).

I love that diet.

This is hilarious.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I love that diet.

Well, I'm also B, but I'll pass on the goat. Totally down with the dairy, though.

Every type of goat dairy product I've tried tastes like the animal smells. I just can't consume it.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I love that diet.

Every type of goat dairy product I've tried tastes like the animal smells. I just can't consume it.

Ah so the blood type diet would work for you:)

• mph323
    edited January 2017
    Options

I love that diet.

Inexplicably, I can't have full-fat dairy, but apparently fat-free is OK. And I can't have chicken, but I can have rabbit. I've never had rabbit but people tell me it tastes like chicken, so it's probably not safe, right?