Annie_01 wrote: »
    mgmalek wrote: »
    jkwolly wrote: »
    bowlerae wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1eb4BpFItexo3Vx5iAarlkU4spr8Bba3OiSI4c2sDSpYQmUew
    Right?

But seriously OP, sucrose, glucose and fructose are the exact same molecules, whether you're talking about a teaspoon of sugar, or in fruit.
    Molecularly they are exactly the same, and biologically the human body digests them exactly the same. Why cut anything out?!
    Cutting out sugar =/= weight loss.

First off, OP is talking about added sugar. Yes, sugar is sugar but the difference with fruit is that there are other nutrients in fruit. Sugar, no matter the source, is a high GI food. It's spikes your insulin very high and very rapidly. High insulin levels slows weight loss. Persistent high insulin and blood glucose levels can lead to insulin resistance aka T2D. So you're basically saying, well if you wouldn't cut out fruit, why would you cut out sugar? The difference is nutrient density and not spiking your insulin and BG on junk.
    OP never asked about what's the better option macro/health wise. She simply stated she is quitting sugar for weight loss purposes and wanted anyone to join.
    Why cut something if it doesn't affect weight loss, baring any medical issues?
    It's making better caloric choices that matter. Obviously ice cream is going to have more calories than an apple, so she is losing weight from better choices vs. cutting sugar. If you can successfully lose weight eating the things you enjoy, why wouldn't you do that?
    Totally eliminating items from your diet can lead to binge eating said items.

I guess it's different for everyone but for me, eliminating things with added sugar from my Diet has really helped me. I didn't eat anything with added sugar for nearly four years. I didn't crave chocolate or lollies and stopped eating when I was full. Following a very bad shoulder injury and subsequent surgery, I reintroduced added sugar into my Diet and everything went down hill. I would come home from work really craving chocolate and would therefore make really poor choices late in the evening.

Ive now been off added sugar for probably nearly two weeks and once again, I don't crave it. I love this because when I'm full that's it, I don't feel like something sweet to finish off the meal.

As I said, everyone is different and what works for me won't necessarily work for you. I guess my original post was to see if there were any other people out there who were making the no added sugar commitment. I find it really hard at first so it would be good to find some support.

For many people the obvious choice and the simplest for reducing calories would be in the "sweet" category. They are easily replace with other things such as fruit based treats.

For me I had to greatly reduce my obsession with salty snack items...I do so love a really good cheesy salty crunchy cracker.

Does that mean that I won't ever have those cheesy salty crunchy crackers again? No...but for right now I have eliminated them. I don't feel any need to try and moderate them at this point. I admit...sometimes I wish that I had a box of crackers but the craving for them has been reduced dramatically.

I have always been able to moderate sweets so I pay little attention to my sugar levels...I am usually under and most of what I do eat is the sugar that is found naturally in fruits and vegetables.

I look at people's choices this way...we are all unique works of art...not a paint-by-number set.

I agree. I dont really ever crave salty tgings; I actually don't really like chips and things like that so Ive never had a problem. Sugar is VERY different. I haven't had sugar for quite some time now but soon I'll allow myself a small treat here and there. I don't think Im in any danger of overindulging anymore as I certainly have overcome the addiction.
  • mgmalek
    mgmalek Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    sahux1 wrote: »
    Discussion of giving up on sugar is triggering for some people here on the forums. Apparently, moderation is the key, in much the same way that junkies are allowed heroin once a month or so. No biggie.

What an interesting way to interpret the conversation. Are you saying that sugar is equivalent to addictive drugs like heroin?

Sugar has been proven to be very addictive. I personally wouldn't go as far as comparing it to heroin but I do see this persons point
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Never why?

When I don't add it to anything, I certainly eat plenty of sugar as I eat ice cream and cake every day.

I would hazard people who follow this thinking end up binging...
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Never why?

When I don't add it to anything, I certainly eat plenty of sugar as I eat ice cream and cake every day.

I don't think the OP said "never" anywhere.

Why do you think that anyone who reduces(or eliminates for a period of time) added sugar is any more likely to binge that someone who is not? Will someone that limits meat be likely to binge on meat at some point? How about salty things...aren't they as likely to binge?

I am not sure what you mean by the bolded. Added sugar is added sugar regardless if you add it or the manufacturer adds it.

You can't predict what someone else will do based on what you personally would do. I agree...when something is removed from someone's diet that they have had problems moderating then there is always a possibility of someone "binging" on it in the future. Just as someone reducing the amount of food that they are accustomed to eating runs a risk of "binging" on food in general. Read some of the threads started here..."HELP...I ATE 6000 CALORIES TODAY!".

Since I have never had a problem with consuming added sugar then I could probably eliminate it and never have binging problems. Salty is a different matter however. For health reasons I have to restrict it...so I struggle with that. The less that I eat of those salty items (even salt on vegetables) the less that I crave the "salt". If I give in however then I am back to square one.

IMO...if you can moderate...that's great. If you can't however there is nothing wrong or stupid about eliminating for a while. At some point you can try again to moderate it.

Which is worse...eliminating a problem food or not being able to moderate it and binging on it often. I would pick the elimination myself.

BTW...many people will binge on something at some point in their life...even if they haven't eliminated anything...even if it is a food that they have moderated.
  • lindseyk622
    lindseyk622 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am trying to cut out sugar as much as possible, especially added sugar. Partially for my own benefit, and partially in support of 2 friends with cancer who are also trying to cut sugar. Who knew it was added to EVERYTHING?!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Never why?

I don't think the OP said "never" anywhere.

Why do you think that anyone who reduces(or eliminates for a period of time) added sugar is any more likely to binge that someone who is not? Will someone that limits meat be likely to binge on meat at some point? How about salty things...aren't they as likely to binge?

I am not sure what you mean by the bolded. Added sugar is added sugar regardless if you add it or the manufacturer adds it.

You can't predict what someone else will do based on what you personally would do. I agree...when something is removed from someone's diet that they have had problems moderating then there is always a possibility of someone "binging" on it in the future. Just as someone reducing the amount of food that they are accustomed to eating runs a risk of "binging" on food in general. Read some of the threads started here..."HELP...I ATE 6000 CALORIES TODAY!".

Since I have never had a problem with consuming added sugar then I could probably eliminate it and never have binging problems. Salty is a different matter however. For health reasons I have to restrict it...so I struggle with that. The less that I eat of those salty items (even salt on vegetables) the less that I crave the "salt". If I give in however then I am back to square one.

IMO...if you can moderate...that's great. If you can't however there is nothing wrong or stupid about eliminating for a while. At some point you can try again to moderate it.

Which is worse...eliminating a problem food or not being able to moderate it and binging on it often. I would pick the elimination myself.

BTW...many people will binge on something at some point in their life...even if they haven't eliminated anything...even if it is a food that they have moderated.

I was simply answering the OP thread...
    mgmalek wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Ive eaten no added sugar for three days now; no ice cream, chocolate, lollies, sugary drinks etc. I know this is a great way to lose weight because I've done it before. Is anyone else quitting sugar or wanting to do so? It would be great to keep each other motivated :)
    Cutting sugar in ANY way doesn't guarantee weight lost. Why would I cut it if it fits into my goals regardless if I add it or not. That is my point you dont understand.

I said that "line if thinking can lead to binging.". Restricting the body of food in any way can lead to binging, the more extreme it seems the more likely to happen This is logical thinking, if you dont agree...thats your right. But your avoidence of salt over a medical condition has no bearing over the OP avoidence of sugar to lose weight.

Maybe you shouldn't take my simple 2-3 sentence answer and write a vomit of paragraphs in a reply that has nothing to do with what I said.

No ty. I dont waste my time answering threads about eating 6000 calories in a day. Last summer I probably ate between 6000-10000 calories every day. It makes no difference to me if they ate the same amount and freak out. I won't change their mind.

• ChaleGirl
    ChaleGirl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I was added sugar free for a while but then started again after a holiday where I ate whatever I wanted. Today is day 2 of being added sugar free. I really enjoyed being added sugar free before. I noticed that I didn't even crave it or think about it after a while. I also noticed being more energetic, less sluggish and more clear minded. Looking forward to getting back to that place. Would love to get to 2 weeks first as hopefully by then it will be a habit again!
    Good luck to anyone trying to be added sugar free!
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Of course you can go sugar free as long as you accept that you can cut out 90% out. Don't get obsessed with 100% even I can't do that.

I have an allergic reaction to sugar, fruit etc so have no choice your body so can function without it. You will loose weight because your naturally be eating better.

It is true you need to cut calories too but that's made a 100 times easier if you aren't consuming sugar.

You'll only put the sugar weight back on if start to eat it again but like many others you might see this as a lifestyle change.
  • Dynamis600
    Dynamis600 Posts: 743 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1eb4BpFItexo3Vx5iAarlkU4spr8Bba3OiSI4c2sDSpYQmUew
    Right?

But seriously OP, sucrose, glucose and fructose are the exact same molecules, whether you're talking about a teaspoon of sugar, or in fruit.
    Molecularly they are exactly the same, and biologically the human body digests them exactly the same. Why cut anything out?!
    Cutting out sugar =/= weight loss.

This is incorrect while glucose and fructose have the same molecular formula they are structured differently in the body. Glucose is able to be used by every cell in the body whereas Fructose is only broken down in the liver. Too much fructose in the diet over time can lead to high triglycerides and Non Alcoholic Fattty Liver disease. Please if you are going to make sweeping statements get your science right.

From a health perspective I am cutting sugar because of autoimmune disease granulated sugar and hidden sugar in processed foods cause inflammation and make me flare. Also I have Non Alcoholic fatty liver disease so in order to correct it I need to lower fructose. However I feel sugar in some natural food are beneficial for instance apples have anti-inflammatory properties so I will be adding them back into my diet in two weeks time. Sugar in fruit is packaged with fibre which means that the sugar is release slowly into the body and does not cause sugar spikes which makes the pancreas work hard to produce enough insulin to deal with it.

There are new studies coming out that heart disease is due to inflammation which can explain why the guy who is in the healthy weight range and exercises can still have a heart attack. If you wish to keep consuming high fat high sugar foods you may be setting yourself up for some major health problems. World health recommendations are for 6 tsp of added sugar a day and for men 9 teaspoons a day. That soon adds up with processed foods with the sugar that is added to them.

For some of us with sugar cravings or sugar imbalance issues hypoglyceamia, diabetes going low sugar is a good way to help control it.

So for me this is not just a fad but a lifestyle change.
  • Getmehealthy101
    Getmehealthy101 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When you avoid sugar do you also stay away from honey?
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    When you avoid sugar do you also stay away from honey?

I have it for the health benifits, but never when trying to drop lbs. I put it on the kids cuts, lemon with honey when they are ill.

I only eat max of one spoonful a day when I do eat it. It is raw honey I import from the mountains in Spain. I buy 20kg and it lasts my family a year. For a strange reason I don't react to it, unless I have loads of it, which I don't. The doctors think maybe it's because the guy leaves the bees to do what they do and doesn't add sugar syrup for the winter but leaves honey. Who knows.