Replies

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    And a potato is a lump of pure glycogen ... sugar
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    The only food I eat daily that has much sugar added to it is the yogurt I eat, I'm hoping to switch to plain yogurt eventually but the only one I like is so expensive and with how much I eat of it, it might not happen. But I'm consciously trying to avoid sugary foods for the next 4 weeks (including skipping dessert at my family birthday dinner on the 29th... I'm starting to build the willpower now haha cause everyone else at the table will have a slice of cheesecake at the cheesecake factory).
  • mgmalek
    mgmalek Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1eb4BpFItexo3Vx5iAarlkU4spr8Bba3OiSI4c2sDSpYQmUew
    Right?

But seriously OP, sucrose, glucose and fructose are the exact same molecules, whether you're talking about a teaspoon of sugar, or in fruit.
    Molecularly they are exactly the same, and biologically the human body digests them exactly the same. Why cut anything out?!
    Cutting out sugar =/= weight loss.

Yes. I agree and am aware of what you are saying. However, I do find that cutting out things like chocolate, ice cream, lollies and sweet drinks really boosts my results. I probably will reintroduce these things at some point but at the moment, I dont feel the need and am enjoying healthier alternatives like Fruit and sugar free chocolate.
  • mgmalek
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »
    Right?

But seriously OP, sucrose, glucose and fructose are the exact same molecules, whether you're talking about a teaspoon of sugar, or in fruit.
    Molecularly they are exactly the same, and biologically the human body digests them exactly the same. Why cut anything out?!

First off, OP is talking about added sugar. Yes, sugar is sugar but the difference with fruit is that there are other nutrients in fruit. Sugar, no matter the source, is a high GI food. It's spikes your insulin very high and very rapidly. High insulin levels slows weight loss. Persistent high insulin and blood glucose levels can lead to insulin resistance aka T2D. So you're basically saying, well if you wouldn't cut out fruit, why would you cut out sugar? The difference is nutrient density and not spiking your insulin and BG on junk.
    OP never asked about what's the better option macro/health wise. She simply stated she is quitting sugar for weight loss purposes and wanted anyone to join.
    Why cut something if it doesn't affect weight loss, baring any medical issues?
    It's making better caloric choices that matter. Obviously ice cream is going to have more calories than an apple, so she is losing weight from better choices vs. cutting sugar. If you can successfully lose weight eating the things you enjoy, why wouldn't you do that?
    Totally eliminating items from your diet can lead to binge eating said items.

I guess it's different for everyone but for me, eliminating things with added sugar from my Diet has really helped me. I didn't eat anything with added sugar for nearly four years. I didn't crave chocolate or lollies and stopped eating when I was full. Following a very bad shoulder injury and subsequent surgery, I reintroduced added sugar into my Diet and everything went down hill. I would come home from work really craving chocolate and would therefore make really poor choices late in the evening.

Ive now been off added sugar for probably nearly two weeks and once again, I don't crave it. I love this because when I'm full that's it, I don't feel like something sweet to finish off the meal.

As I said, everyone is different and what works for me won't necessarily work for you. I guess my original post was to see if there were any other people out there who were making the no added sugar commitment. I find it really hard at first so it would be good to find some support.
  • mgmalek
    Options
    Whenever I decide to cut out sugar (I've been trying repeatedly to do this, even to the point of changing careers) I end up gaining more through the struggle.

I've decided to live peaceably with my sugar addiction for now. Maybe tackle it when I'm smaller. I've been able to lose weight and still eat sugar. But... just the idea of never eating it again makes me do things I regret, but promise I'll never do again. Over, and over again.

I know what you mean. I guess because I'm quite black and white, all or nothing, this sort of thing works for me. Once I've lost a good amount of weight and feel that there's not a dangerous of receiving to my prior sugar addiction, maybe I'll have a piece of cake or the occasional ice cream here and there. Im not sure. For now, I'm enjoying the challenge of finding other food to replace the Nutella, Tim tams and block of chocolate :)
  • mgmalek
    Options
    By the way, thanks for your replies everyone! I actually wasn't aware until now that I could find my previous discussion posts. It's been great reading all your replies. The no added sugar thing is going REALLY well too! There are so many alternatives and Im finding it much easier to limited my calories!
  • mgmalek
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    Your teeth will be better too OP.. I'm with you :)

Yes! I hadn't thought of that!
  • mgmalek
    Options
    Hi- I'm quitting- at least for 10 weeks. (Part of a study) and i would love support!

Please add me as a friend!!

April

Ive added you :)
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I am making an effort to cut back on <b>added</b> sugars because they tend to be found in my naughty snacks - biscuits and chocolate being the main two. Naturally ocurring sugars such those found in fruit (I only eat the whole fruit, I don't drink the juice), greek yoghurt etc. I still eat because they tend to also have fibre or protein in as well.
  • mgmalek
    Options
    I am making an effort to cut back on <b>added</b> sugars because they tend to be found in my naughty snacks - biscuits and chocolate being the main two. Naturally ocurring sugars such those found in fruit (I only eat the whole fruit, I don't drink the juice), greek yoghurt etc. I still eat because they tend to also have fibre or protein in as well.

Definitely. I think a couple of people have mentioned that it's the high Calorie things to cut back on rather than a particular thing (in my case sugar) but of course all the good tasting sugary stuff IS high calories.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    mgmalek wrote: »
    Right?

First off, OP is talking about added sugar. Yes, sugar is sugar but the difference with fruit is that there are other nutrients in fruit. Sugar, no matter the source, is a high GI food. It's spikes your insulin very high and very rapidly. High insulin levels slows weight loss. Persistent high insulin and blood glucose levels can lead to insulin resistance aka T2D. So you're basically saying, well if you wouldn't cut out fruit, why would you cut out sugar? The difference is nutrient density and not spiking your insulin and BG on junk.
    OP never asked about what's the better option macro/health wise. She simply stated she is quitting sugar for weight loss purposes and wanted anyone to join.
    Why cut something if it doesn't affect weight loss, baring any medical issues?
    It's making better caloric choices that matter. Obviously ice cream is going to have more calories than an apple, so she is losing weight from better choices vs. cutting sugar. If you can successfully lose weight eating the things you enjoy, why wouldn't you do that?
    Totally eliminating items from your diet can lead to binge eating said items.

I guess it's different for everyone but for me, eliminating things with added sugar from my Diet has really helped me. I didn't eat anything with added sugar for nearly four years. I didn't crave chocolate or lollies and stopped eating when I was full. Following a very bad shoulder injury and subsequent surgery, I reintroduced added sugar into my Diet and everything went down hill. I would come home from work really craving chocolate and would therefore make really poor choices late in the evening.

Ive now been off added sugar for probably nearly two weeks and once again, I don't crave it. I love this because when I'm full that's it, I don't feel like something sweet to finish off the meal.

As I said, everyone is different and what works for me won't necessarily work for you. I guess my original post was to see if there were any other people out there who were making the no added sugar commitment. I find it really hard at first so it would be good to find some support.

For many people the obvious choice and the simplest for reducing calories would be in the "sweet" category. They are easily replace with other things such as fruit based treats.

For me I had to greatly reduce my obsession with salty snack items...I do so love a really good cheesy salty crunchy cracker.

Does that mean that I won't ever have those cheesy salty crunchy crackers again? No...but for right now I have eliminated them. I don't feel any need to try and moderate them at this point. I admit...sometimes I wish that I had a box of crackers but the craving for them has been reduced dramatically.

I have always been able to moderate sweets so I pay little attention to my sugar levels...I am usually under and most of what I do eat is the sugar that is found naturally in fruits and vegetables.

I look at people's choices this way...we are all unique works of art...not a paint-by-number set.
  • Annie_01
    Options
    jmp463 wrote: »
    I cut out super in October and have lost 21 Lbs - and the best part was that it was not all that hard to do so. Yes on T-giving and Xmas I did have some with desert - but still day and in and day out I cut the really high sugar foods. Love the negative comments for the know it alls. Somehow if you cut out sugar many on here take that as an indication you are this weak person who is too dumb to eat in moderation. When in fact - you are cutting out something that you dont really need and in most cases does not make you healthier. Good luck to you OP.

I'm pretty sure most people if they try some sort of elimination diet and it didn't work for them, they convince others that it likely won't work for that person either. Like another person's success at something you attempted to do but failed at hurts your ego.
    I would never be stupid enough to cut out sugar, so nope not the case here.

The negative comments are just trying to tell people they don't need to do it to lose weight. If you want to do it, go for it. But it doesn't HAVE to be done.

I feel like ELI5 is needed in this thread today.

Cutting back on added sugar (which is what the OP is talking about) doesn't make someone stupid. Actually it is one of the most obvious and easiest places for one to cut back on calories if they are over consuming "sweet" items.

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I cut out super in October and have lost 21 Lbs - and the best part was that it was not all that hard to do so. Yes on T-giving and Xmas I did have some with desert - but still day and in and day out I cut the really high sugar foods. Love the negative comments for the know it alls. Somehow if you cut out sugar many on here take that as an indication you are this weak person who is too dumb to eat in moderation. When in fact - you are cutting out something that you dont really need and in most cases does not make you healthier. Good luck to you OP.

I'm pretty sure most people if they try some sort of elimination diet and it didn't work for them, they convince others that it likely won't work for that person either. Like another person's success at something you attempted to do but failed at hurts your ego.

The negative comments are just trying to tell people they don't need to do it to lose weight. If you want to do it, go for it. But it doesn't HAVE to be done.

Cutting back on added sugar (which is what the OP is talking about) doesn't make someone stupid. Actually it is one of the most obvious and easiest places for one to cut back on calories if they are over consuming "sweet" items.

Re-read the thread/string. Never once did I say OP was talking about anything else.

I was responding to previous poster about apparently being butthurt about not being able to cut out "added sugarz" myself.

As I said, do what you want. Doesn't need to be done and doesn't help OP understand/enforce moderation.
  • Annie_01
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

Re-read the thread/string. Never once did I say OP was talking about anything else.

I was responding to previous poster about apparently being butthurt about not being able to cut out "added sugarz" myself.

As I said, do what you want. Doesn't need to be done and doesn't help OP understand/enforce moderation.

I'll start this by say that I do not eliminate add sugar...it has just never been a problem for me to moderate.

Why do you feel that everyone has to enforce moderation?

While I don't have problems with added sugar I do have problems with cheesy salty crunchy items. I tried unsuccessfully for a long time to moderate them. It just wasn't working. So with this last round of weight loss I have eliminated them in order to adhere to my weight loss goals. Maybe or maybe not I will at some point when I reach maintenance tackle "again" trying to moderate them. However if in trying to moderate them I am not able to and they interfere with my maintenance goals I will eliminate them entirely. Eating cheesy salty crunchy things are not as important to me as keeping the weight off nor will they bring the happiness to my life that keeping the weight off will bring me.

Again...why do you think that everyone has to enforce moderation? If it works for you that's great but for some it might not ever work with certain food items.
  • Rochiboo
    Rochiboo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I haven't completely removed sugar from my diet. I don't add sugar to tea or drink soda or juice, strictly water. Sometimes I do have a snack
  • Annie_01
    Options
    I don't go through life worrying about sugar nor have I set out to eliminate sugar. However...it has by default been lowered by how I now eat and cook. Even when I have desert I rarely ever reach or go over my sugar goals.

If however you want to lower your sugar and/or calorie intake it is one of the easiest and simplest that I have found to lower both. I am not anti-sugar substitute so I bake with stevia and use a blended brown sugar. I can still have desert but without the high sugar and calorie level. Most deserts that I make are 200 calories or less for a nice sized after dinner treat.
  • sahux1
    sahux1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Discussion of giving up on sugar is triggering for some people here on the forums. Apparently, moderation is the key, in much the same way that junkies are allowed heroin once a month or so. No biggie.
  • JacquiH73
    JacquiH73 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Getting away from and greatly reducing processed sugars in my diet has benefited me greatly. I don't count sugars found in wholefood sources. Fruits, vegetables and grains for me are the best way to get my carbs. I don't do keto, it may help you lose weight but nothing about it suggests to me that it's healthy.

Processed sugars and starches metabolize faster than natural sugars and starch found in fruits and vegetables because they lack fiber. Processed sugars are more readily converted to fat if they are not burned off right away. Processed sugars affect the dopamine levels in the brain which is why eating foods containing processed sugar make us crave them more.

http://www.cancercenter.com/discussions/blog/natural-vs-refined-sugars-whats-the-difference/

Whether you wean yourself off slowly or quit processed sugar cold turkey I commend you on your choice. And rather than do it for a small period of time try to make avoiding and greatly reducing processed sugar a part of your regular dietary lifestyle.

My personal rule of thumb is no more than 10tsps, that's 40grams, of processed sugar a day. Most days I do less than that but there's nothing wrong with a sweet treat every now and then. The average American consumes 41 teaspoons of sugar, that's 164grams per day. It's no wonder why obesity has reached epidemic proportions.

Anyone looking to free themselves from processed sugar is welcome to friend me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    @lemurcat12 not my first response but then when people say you absolutely need to consume carbs and you can't sustain a sugar-free diet for long then I have to check them.

Fair enough. Personally I think (absent a health reason like some kinds of Crohn or unusual allergies) that a diet without vegetables (i.e., sugar) would be unhealthy, but I agree that it's not the sugar specifically or carbs specifically that are required. It's just that many extremely nutrient-dense foods are mostly carbs.

OP is talking about added sugar. Obviously table sugar, sweets, etc. I'm not sure to what extent like if she is really talking about looking at the food labels on everything and putting down the jar of tomato sauce, peanut butter, etc that lists added sugar in the ingredients. We are not talking about sugar naturally found in foods particularly fruits and veggies.

Just saw this. Yes, I know -- as I recall (look upthread) I pointed that out and said that the keto stuff was off topic. YOU, not OP, are the one who brought up a no carb diet, and that's what I was responding to.

I don't think giving up added sugar is a big deal or unhealthy, although for most people it's unnecessary and may not be helpful. (I've given it up from time to time.)
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    sahux1 wrote: »
    Discussion of giving up on sugar is triggering for some people here on the forums. Apparently, moderation is the key, in much the same way that junkies are allowed heroin once a month or so. No biggie.

What an interesting way to interpret the conversation. Are you saying that sugar is equivalent to addictive drugs like heroin?