What is a good substitute for bread?

Options
1235»

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ....If you're doing this primarily because of the caloric content, I'd like to deviate from the other suggestions above and get real with you for a minute. Low-calorie and reduced calorie bread options are not very healthy and since I imagine that your ultimate goal is to actually maintain the weight loss and get healthy, that's probably not a good way to go. These so-called healthy, low-cal options still have a crapload of sodium, and most of the protein and fiber is actually "added." I never trust food where the health benefits had to be added. What I really suggest is that you make real, healthy bread a part of your food plan...

Orly?

Check the nutritional information here - http://www.daveskillerbread.com/powerseed-thin-sliced

I can't seem to find that "crapload of sodium". The fiber and protein both seem to come from the grains and seeds. Of course they're "added" because bread doesn't grow on trees for us to pick and eat. That bread is 60 calories per slice - the non "thin sliced" variety has the exact same ingredients but in larger slices, and is 100 calories per slice. So if I make a sandwich, I get 120 calories from my bread rather than 200 calories from the larger slices.

Fruit juice in bread? For gods sake, why? Who wants sweetened bread?!

You've never had King's Hawaiian Rolls??? Those things are so addictive. I've made them from scratch before and they have pineapple juice as one of the ingredients.

Have you ever made bread before? Sugar is the food for the yeast. No food for the yeast means your dough doesn't rise. All yeast breads have some amount of sugar in some form.

I grew up eating King's Hawaiian! There's actually a King's Hawaiian bakery/restaurant about 40 minutes from where I live and they bring fresh, hot rolls to your table before you order. Before I joined MFP, it was not uncommon for me to eat an entire round loaf in one sitting. They're great plain, but they're even better toasted with butter. Mmmmmm........
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    ....If you're doing this primarily because of the caloric content, I'd like to deviate from the other suggestions above and get real with you for a minute. Low-calorie and reduced calorie bread options are not very healthy and since I imagine that your ultimate goal is to actually maintain the weight loss and get healthy, that's probably not a good way to go. These so-called healthy, low-cal options still have a crapload of sodium, and most of the protein and fiber is actually "added." I never trust food where the health benefits had to be added. What I really suggest is that you make real, healthy bread a part of your food plan...

Orly?

Check the nutritional information here - http://www.daveskillerbread.com/powerseed-thin-sliced

I can't seem to find that "crapload of sodium". The fiber and protein both seem to come from the grains and seeds. Of course they're "added" because bread doesn't grow on trees for us to pick and eat. That bread is 60 calories per slice - the non "thin sliced" variety has the exact same ingredients but in larger slices, and is 100 calories per slice. So if I make a sandwich, I get 120 calories from my bread rather than 200 calories from the larger slices.

You've never had King's Hawaiian Rolls??? Those things are so addictive. I've made them from scratch before and they have pineapple juice as one of the ingredients.

Have you ever made bread before? Sugar is the food for the yeast. No food for the yeast means your dough doesn't rise. All yeast breads have some amount of sugar in some form.

I grew up eating King's Hawaiian! There's actually a King's Hawaiian bakery/restaurant about 40 minutes from where I live and they bring fresh, hot rolls to your table before you order. Before I joined MFP, it was not uncommon for me to eat an entire round loaf in one sitting. They're great plain, but they're even better toasted with butter. Mmmmmm........

When I was first introduced to it it was served with honey butter. So so dangerous.
  • amymatthe
    amymatthe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like Ezekiel bread (frozen aisle). It's pretty healthy since it's considered a sprouted bread. I think it tastes great, too.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

Orly?

So much yes!!!
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I eat bread every day and lose just fine. Choose whole grain and lower calorie options and you'll still lose well and enjoy what you eat.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Bacon.

bacon-weave-bun.jpg

IN!!!!!

King's Hawaiian is the most awesome bread ever made. I could eeeeaaaaaasily sit down with a box of those rolls and a tub of butter and polish every one of those delicious little things off without batting an eye. Yum.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Orly?

Not true, I've made bread without sugar that rose just fine.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    ksciacca97 wrote: »
    Hello I am really trying to lose weight & I would like to start substituting bread out of my diet but what is a good healthy substitute for bread I can use?

For just weight loss you can find lower calorie bread, tortillas, pita bread, use less, etc.
    If you want to avoid bread because of an ingredient you could try lettuce wraps, slices of cucumber or zucchini, patties/pancakes made from cabbage, sweet potato or zucchini, polenta cakes, mushrooms, cloud bread.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Orly?

Not all breads have added sweeteners or taste sweet.
    I made sourdough bread yesterday. The starter is made from flour and water. The recipe I used called for sourdough starter, white flour, water, salt. The dough rose for 4 hours and doubled in size.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sourdough
  • ShareeEmma
    ShareeEmma Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I tried to cut bread out before but instead I just swapped to thinner, wholewheat slices and often had it dry OR rice cakes IF what I was having suited... like peanut butter rice cake :yum:
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    Seals and Crofts is an excellent substitute for Bread

haha!!! YES!!!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I still eat bread, but tend to have smaller amounts and/or look for lower calorie options. For sliced bread I buy a one that is ~35 cals a slice. (Though most slices tend to be 10% or so heavier than the label indicates.) For hot dog/hamburger buns I buy ones that are 'light' at around 80 cals each, or just tear out some of the middle bread. Last night for taco salad, I tried a chip made from beans. They were good, for taco salad. Not sure I'd want them for salsa. Taste was different. But for 80 cals an ounce, instead of 140, it was a good substitute.
    ksciacca97 wrote: »
    Hello I am really trying to lose weight & I would like to start substituting bread out of my diet but what is a good healthy substitute for bread I can use?