I like to eat and am looking for things I can eat a lot of!

Options

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I think primarily you're going to be looking at lots of veggies...particularly with a 1200 calorie diet. You could make big egg white veggie omelets.

This. I buy bags of frozen veggies (usually California blend) and add 1/2 bag to rice dishes, frozen entrees, egg scrambles etc. I also use fresh veggies like spinach to bulk up salads and sandwiches. Low calorie, inexpensive and gives my meals more staying power :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,633 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    A serving of brocolli, defined by me as a bunny, has a standard weight (like all non starchy fruits and vegetables) of 80g. Of course the aim is to have maximal, not minimal bunnies! Thursday my bunnies were hibernating in a Siberian rabbit hole, but Friday I managed 9+

I think the most I've fit is ~25. An MFP friend is regularly over 20 and she is an omnivore (and so am i)

Go bunnies
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Part of the concept of weight loss is lifestyle change, rather than restriction and diet. All foods have a suggested serving size, and a good discipline would be to watch your serving sizes, rather than searching for foods to consume large amounts of.
    You love to eat, so eat foods you love. For the best compromise between taste and volume, if a dish you love is higher in calories, reduce the fat and/or bulk it with vegetables to reduce the calories per serving. Another alternative would be to pick a dish you love, have a smaller serving, and then add another dish that is low in calories for more volume. For example, light broth based soup (miso soup is a good choice for the calories ) before the main course plus a side dish of vegetables makes it easier for me to have a smaller serving of moussaka without leaving the table hungry.

2 ways of saying the same :D

Not really. A suggested serving of vegetables is actually small.

For me, a serving of broccoli is about 3/4 of a pound. I make no apologies for this and think there's nothing wrong with it, and have worked through all my issues with food. I consider it multiple servings of broccoli in place of the side of bread I used to have. What I don't have on that broccoli? A ton of butter. What I do have? More broccoli.
    Just because "someone" might suggest X grams as a "serving", it doesn't mean I have to eat exactly that. That would be absurd! Instead, I choose to extract what is meant - moderaton. Sometimes moderation take a little discipline. "Fatty mentality" is restriction followed by bing(e)ing. Normal weight mentality is responsible enjoyment, and not freaking out over eating more than a suggested serving, whenever that is responsible and enjoyable.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash, zucchini... squash in general are very low calorie! And delicious too. Also greens of any kind, most non starchy vegetables...
    Shrimp are surprisingly low calorie compared to other meats. Greek yougurt and cottage cheese are pretty good on the calories for being high protein too. Thin snackers rice cakes are only 25 calories each. Popcorn, pop corners chips. Coconut water. For adding flavor to food for minimal calories I like: salsa, pico de gallo, lemon juice, lime juice, vinegars, soy sauce, ketchup, BBQ sauce, mustard... also for cooking be sure to pick up some good spray oils! Switching from liquid oil to spray saves a ton of calories and these days you can get all kinds of oils as a spray- olive, avocado, coconut... or you can get a misto.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Part of the concept of weight loss is lifestyle change, rather than restriction and diet. All foods have a suggested serving size, and a good discipline would be to watch your serving sizes, rather than searching for foods to consume large amounts of.
    You love to eat, so eat foods you love. For the best compromise between taste and volume, if a dish you love is higher in calories, reduce the fat and/or bulk it with vegetables to reduce the calories per serving. Another alternative would be to pick a dish you love, have a smaller serving, and then add another dish that is low in calories for more volume. For example, light broth based soup (miso soup is a good choice for the calories ) before the main course plus a side dish of vegetables makes it easier for me to have a smaller serving of moussaka without leaving the table hungry.

For me, a serving of broccoli is about 3/4 of a pound. I make no apologies for this and think there's nothing wrong with it, and have worked through all my issues with food. I consider it multiple servings of broccoli in place of the side of bread I used to have. What I don't have on that broccoli? A ton of butter. What I do have? More broccoli.
    Just because "someone" might suggest X grams as a "serving", it doesn't mean I have to eat exactly that. That would be absurd! Instead, I choose to extract what is meant - moderaton. Sometimes moderation take a little discipline. "Fatty mentality" is restriction followed by bing(e)ing. Normal weight mentality is responsible enjoyment, and not freaking out over eating more than a suggested serving, whenever that is responsible and enjoyable.

Oh, I agree with you.

However, the post I took issue with said this:

People here are essentially saying to replace calorically dense items with large servings of vegetables. In my example of 3/4 pounds of broccoli, I'm really having 3-4 servings of broccoli and replacing the butter and side of bread I would have normally had with a meal. What I'm not doing is having things in "suggested serving size".

Picking nits, here, but again, the point is that there's nothing wrong with eating foods like vegetables in quantity like the poster I quoted seemed to think.
  • kommodevaran
    Options

Oh, I agree with you.

However, the post I took issue with said this:

People here are essentially saying to replace calorically dense items with large servings of vegetables. In my example of 3/4 pounds of broccoli, I'm really having 3 servings of broccoli and replacing the butter and side of bread I would have normally had with a meal. What I'm not doing is having things in "suggested serving size".

Picking nits, here, but again, the point is that there's nothing wrong with eating foods like vegetables in quantity like the poster I quoted seemed to think.
    Sometimes I'm wearing my nitpicking goggles, sometimes I'm not. Lol, I usually am :D
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Cucumber and celery also
  • madgenius1
    madgenius1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Eat more fruit, bananas are 100 calories and satisfying

Popcorn is a good snack I saw that suggestion a lot

Potato stir fry

Rice and beans

Basically a vegan diet with small doses of meat, so yea I'm not suggesting vegan 100%
  • pinksparklefairy
    pinksparklefairy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    madgenius1 wrote: »
    Eat more fruit, bananas are 100 calories and satisfying

Popcorn is a good snack I saw that suggestion a lot

Potato stir fry

Rice and beans

Basically a vegan diet with small doses of meat, so yea I'm not suggesting vegan 100%

You don't need to eat meat, just make sure your diet is balanced and you take a vegan supplement.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Oh no, I don't follow suggested serving sizes at all except for the foods that I'm used to having in a certain serving size like ice cream or cereal. 80 grams of vegetables, 1 oz of nuts or 1 cup of watermelon would never fly with me, while I had "half a serving" of chips today no problems.

I'm using "serving" here as in "the amount of food you are used to eating" and sacrificing some of the higher calorie items that are not very important to you in favor of volume and/or reducing the amount of something higher in calories that is important to you by introducing bulk to achieve a comparable meal volume.
  • kommodevaran
    Options

Oh no, I don't follow suggested serving sizes at all except for the foods that I'm used to having in a certain serving size like ice cream or cereal. 80 grams of vegetables, 1 oz of nuts or 1 cup of watermelon would never fly with me, while I had "half a serving" of chips today no problems.

I'm using "serving" here as in "the amount of food you are used to eating" and sacrificing some of the higher calorie items that are not very important to you in favor of volume and/or reducing the amount of something higher in calories that is important to you by introducing bulk to achieve a comparable meal volume.
    That's how I use "serving" as well. The amount I choose to serve myself. I was pointing out that sometimes it takes some discipline to serve myself a portion that I find reasonable. And I'm not always able to manage that.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Salads, fibrous veg, zero calorie desserts, black coffee, diet drinks and frozen berries.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    veggies, veggies and more veggies. Right now I'm eating a basic sandwich (bread, meat, cheese), accompanied by a mound of fresh vegs ... spinach, cherry tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, mushrooms. Last night it was 150g of steamed kale ... so much kale you couldn't see the rice or chicken on my plate.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options

I thought I was living large with my nearly 1/2 pound broccoli serving size. I bow down before you @GottaBurnEmAll
  • federicafezza4271
    federicafezza4271 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    carrots!
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Pickles make an excellent snack, very low calories.