Yet another study shows no weight loss benefit for low-carb

Options

Replies

• LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    eagle_74 wrote: »
    The thing about Keto is it allows many people to eat to satiety without any of the associated binging and otherwise destructive behaviors that a high card diet eventually brings.

For many carbs are almost like a drug and mess up our normal appetite signals from the bloodsugar swings and cravings that ensue.

I haven't found Keto to "magically" faster at shedding pounds, but it is extremely satisfying when you do eat and I never feel the urge to eat past a mild sense of fullness.

In the Past the only sense of fullness I knew was a stretched stomach, now I can feel satisfied because of what's going on chemically within me. My Stomach may be close to empty or have little actual food in there but I'm not hungry. Re-learning those natural signals is a revelation.

Diets are not religion, if it works for you great.

But many people eat to fullness without being keto. Carbs don't equal "destructive behaviors" as you seem to believe.

Carbs aren't like a drug. I can't fathom that thinking.

For you. Others find carbs problematic. Not sure why that's so hard for people to grasp.
  • MadriverDell
    MadriverDell Posts: 14 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    People are different. Some people get great satiety from a low carb diet. Others need carbs in order to feel sated.

I had out-of-control hunger on South Beach Phase 1. Low carb WOE leads me to binge on protein. Not kidding. I was standing in front of the refrigerator stuffing MULTIPLE grilled chicken breasts (or other protein sources) into my mouth and that was after a big dinner yet I could not get full.

I gained on South Beach Phase 1 because the satiety that should have resulted from this WOE wasn't there for me.

I can eat a huge steak, salad and vegetables and still go back for seconds or thirds.

When I incorporate whole grains, starchy carbs and eat a well balanced diet I am sated and am able to eat with a reasonable deficit.

I couldn't get anything close to a deficit on low-carb.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The thing about Keto is it allows many people to eat to satiety without any of the associated binging and otherwise destructive behaviors that a high card diet eventually brings.

For many carbs are almost like a drug and mess up our normal appetite signals from the bloodsugar swings and cravings that ensue.

I haven't found Keto to "magically" faster at shedding pounds, but it is extremely satisfying when you do eat and I never feel the urge to eat past a mild sense of fullness.

In the Past the only sense of fullness I knew was a stretched stomach, now I can feel satisfied because of what's going on chemically within me. My Stomach may be close to empty or have little actual food in there but I'm not hungry. Re-learning those natural signals is a revelation.

But many people eat to fullness without being keto. Carbs don't equal "destructive behaviors" as you seem to believe.

For you. Others find carbs problematic. Not sure why that's so hard for people to grasp.

I think the biggest issue many people face is the assertion that a macronutrient can be equated to a drug... where some people have had to deal with drug or alcohol issues in the passed. This doesn't even take into consideration they way variety of foods that fall within the spectrum of what a carb is.... fruits, veggies, beans, breads, oats, etc.... But often when people talk about not being filled by carbs, its things like candy, pancakes, muffins, donuts, etc... which are made up of more than just carbs.

Now don't get me wrong, satiation can widely vary by foods.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    People are different. Some people get great satiety from a low carb diet. Others need carbs in order to feel sated.

I had out-of-control hunger on South Beach Phase 1. Low carb WOE leads me to binge on protein. Not kidding. I was standing in front of the refrigerator stuffing MULTIPLE grilled chicken breasts (or other protein sources) into my mouth and that was after a big dinner yet I could not get full.

I gained on South Beach Phase 1 because the satiety that should have resulted from this WOE wasn't there for me.

I can eat a huge steak, salad and vegetables and still go back for seconds or thirds.

When I incorporate whole grains, starchy carbs and eat a well balanced diet I am sated and am able to eat with a reasonable deficit.

I couldn't get anything close to a deficit on low-carb.

I binge when I try to lower my carbs too. And when I did flat out low carb, my favorite binge foods were chicken legs and egg salad.

I recently tried to up my fibrous veggie intake and I cut my starch intake to have the calories to do it (I always keep my protein and fat constant). It was disastrous. It had me binging like a mad woman and my cravings were out of control it took me forever to figure out what was going on.

Thankfully, I finally have all that sorted.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

I think the biggest issue many people face is the assertion that a macronutrient can be equated to a drug... where some people have had to deal with drug or alcohol issues in the passed. This doesn't even take into consideration they way variety of foods that fall within the spectrum of what a carb is.... fruits, veggies, beans, breads, oats, etc.... But often when people talk about not being filled by carbs, its things like candy, pancakes, muffins, donuts, etc... which are made up of more than just carbs.

When a new thread titled "I eat low carb, who else does?" pops up it takes under 5 posts for someone to tell a perfect stranger with a 5 line post that they don't *need* to eat low carb. While that may be true and there are studies that show it, I've yet to see a study posted showing that low carb is harmful or dangerous. Its meat, veggies, and some extra fat. As for the drug references in this thread the post I saw said it FELT like a drug, not that it was. I took it as a metaphor, though I could've missed it if someone said it was a drug.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I grasp it. The poster I responded spoke in absolutes when it's not absolute. Not sure why that's so hard for people to grasp.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

When a new thread titled "I eat low carb, who else does?" pops up it takes under 5 posts for someone to tell a perfect stranger with a 5 line post that they don't *need* to eat low carb. While that may be true and there are studies that show it, I've yet to see a study posted showing that low carb is harmful or dangerous. Its meat, veggies, and some extra fat. As for the drug references in this thread the post I saw said it FELT like a drug, not that it was. I took it as a metaphor, though I could've missed it if someone said it was a drug.

No one has ever said that LCHF is dangerous. And outside of addressing medical requirements, no one diet is necessary. It's all what will allow for compliance and adherence.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

When a new thread pops up where a new dieter says they're struggling or hungry, it usually takes less than 5 posts before someone suggests that they try keto, regardless of dietary preference or asking if their deficit is too aggressive.

There's no need to resort to hyperbole or win a "battle" in order to justify your diet preference. You found a way of eating that works for you. That's great. There's no benefit to it other than it's what is working for you, suits your preferences, and has made it easy for you to stick to your deficit.

The reason this thread exists is because some keto gurus (and people who have followed them) have made outlandish claims about there being some extra benefit to the diet that does not exist. Full stop. End of story.

It's okay that that low carbing simply works by creating a deficit.

That finding an optimal macro balance for creating satiety while eating on a deficit is helpful is no big revelation, and it's not unique to low carb. I feel the same way about high carb (starch), high protein, low fat.

• LowCarb4Me2016
    Options

I grasp it. The poster I responded spoke in absolutes when it's not absolute. Not sure why that's so hard for people to grasp.

The poster you responded to said *almost* like a drug. As in a metaphor that is not absolute. So why respond by saying carbs don't equal destructive behaviors? That to me sounds like an absolute being applied to everyone when quite a few people have stated there experience is different.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

The poster you responded to said *almost* like a drug. As in a metaphor that is not absolute. So why respond by saying carbs don't equal destructive behaviors? That to me sounds like an absolute being applied to everyone when quite a few people have stated there experience is different.

maybe because carbs never ,ever, ever equal drugs...so the even the hint of a comparison is ridiculous...
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    Options

When a new thread pops up where a new dieter says they're struggling or hungry, it usually takes less than 5 posts before someone suggests that they try keto, regardless of dietary preference or asking if their deficit is too aggressive.

There's no need to resort to hyperbole or win a "battle" in order to justify your diet preference. You found a way of eating that works for you. That's great. There's no benefit to it other than it's what is working for you, suits your preferences, and has made it easy for you to stick to your deficit.

The reason this thread exists is because some keto gurus (and people who have followed them) have made outlandish claims about there being some extra benefit to the diet that does not exist. Full stop. End of story.

That finding an optimal macro balance for creating satiety while eating on a deficit is helpful is no big revelation, and it's not unique to low carb. I feel the same way about high carb (starch), high protein, low fat.

I'm sorry but I found the bolded ironic considering the number of "low carb is not necessary, I eat lots of carbs and lose weight" posts that are all over MFP. It seems the non-low carbers have a need to defend their way of eating as well.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    Options

No one has ever said that LCHF is dangerous. And outside of addressing medical requirements, no one diet is necessary. It's all what will allow for compliance and adherence.

Then why the need to work so hard to disprove something that is not dangerous if its just a different way to eat at a deficit? I'm not talking about just this thread or you specifically but in general throughout MFP. I can understand if someone starts a thread saying keto is magical and you'll never have to count calories again, but that is not usually the case in the threads I'm clicking on. Granted, I don't click on them all.
  • Nixi3Knox
    Nixi3Knox Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Low carb is about the only thing that ever helped me get my appetite under control. So yeah, It does have benefits for weight loss. Why don't you go mind your own business instead of trying to force your opinion on people? You don't know what medical condition someone may have or anything else. If low carb is what gets someone healthy then why do you care?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

Then why the need to work so hard to disprove something that is not dangerous if its just a different way to eat at a deficit? I'm not talking about just this thread or you specifically but in general throughout MFP. I can understand if someone starts a thread saying keto is magical and you'll never have to count calories again, but that is not usually the case in the threads I'm clicking on. Granted, I don't click on them all.

No one is trying to disprove low carb.

They are trying to disprove that it has any advantage over any other way of eating except on an individual level for preference.

Re-read the thread title. This isn't about forum posts.

There was a study done because there are promoters of low carb make claims about eating that way that aren't true and don't hold up to scientific scrutiny.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I'm sorry but I found the bolded ironic considering the number of "low carb is not necessary, I eat lots of carbs and lose weight" posts that are all over MFP. It seems the non-low carbers have a need to defend their way of eating as well.

what is wrong with that statement? It is factually correct. You don't need low carb to lose weight, absent some kind of medical condition. Which is usually followed by, if it works for you then great.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Nixi3Knox wrote: »
    Low carb is about the only thing that ever helped me get my appetite under control. So yeah, It does have benefits for weight loss. Why don't you go mind your own business instead of trying to force your opinion on people? You don't know what medical condition someone may have or anything else. If low carb is what gets someone healthy then why do you care?

Wow.

The main point of this thread has been that the opposite happens far too often, where low carbers are claiming special benefits (that don't exist) and try to push their way of eating despite evidence that it does not work for everyone and does not have a universal advantage. It a response to low-carbers "forcing" their opinion on others.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Nixi3Knox wrote: »

no one ever said that you can't lose weight on low carb..if you go back and read through the comments people are saying that it is not better than any other way of eating...

• eagle_74
    eagle_74 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I'm happy you can't fathom that thinking. I wouldn't wish eating disorders on anyone. For many people Carbs cause urges to overeat (binge). Just the way it is for SOME people.