Yet another study shows no weight loss benefit for low-carb

Options
1101112131416»

Replies

• medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Nixi3Knox wrote: »
    Low carb is about the only thing that ever helped me get my appetite under control. So yeah, It does have benefits for weight loss. Why don't you go mind your own business instead of trying to force your opinion on people? You don't know what medical condition someone may have or anything else. If low carb is what gets someone healthy then why do you care?

Wow.

The main point of this thread has been that the opposite happens far too often, where low carbers are claiming special benefits (that don't exist) and try to push their way of eating despite evidence that it does not work for everyone and does not have a universal advantage. It a response to low-carbers "forcing" their opinion on others.

The root cause of the problem (I think at least) is a fundamental misunderstanding of nutrition/metabolism. And it's prevalent on both sides of the debate too. While I'd argue there certainly ARE benefits to keto, they're not without their own drawbacks too. But yeah the idea that "keto is fat loss magic" is totally nonsense.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    eagle_74 wrote: »
    The thing about Keto is it allows many people to eat to satiety without any of the associated binging and otherwise destructive behaviors that a high card diet eventually brings.

For many carbs are almost like a drug and mess up our normal appetite signals from the bloodsugar swings and cravings that ensue.

I haven't found Keto to "magically" faster at shedding pounds, but it is extremely satisfying when you do eat and I never feel the urge to eat past a mild sense of fullness.

In the Past the only sense of fullness I knew was a stretched stomach, now I can feel satisfied because of what's going on chemically within me. My Stomach may be close to empty or have little actual food in there but I'm not hungry. Re-learning those natural signals is a revelation.

Diets are not religion, if it works for you great.

But many people eat to fullness without being keto. Carbs don't equal "destructive behaviors" as you seem to believe.

Carbs aren't like a drug. I can't fathom that thinking.

For you. Others find carbs problematic. Not sure why that's so hard for people to grasp.

I can attest to that. Carbs are pretty problematic. I plow through 2 pounds or more of raw tomatoes a day. If they weren't cheap I would have to sell some of my belongings.
  • Nixi3Knox
    Nixi3Knox Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Low carb is about the only thing that ever helped me get my appetite under control. So yeah, It does have benefits for weight loss. Why don't you go mind your own business instead of trying to force your opinion on people? You don't know what medical condition someone may have or anything else. If low carb is what gets someone healthy then why do you care?

You are proving the point, though.

The benefits are on an individual level.

For me and my health, low carb-high fat would be disastrous.

Did you read the initial post? It wasn't made by an individual "caring", it came about because there was a study done in response to claims made by keto gurus in regards to there being an advantage to the rate of weight loss beyond that that would be accounted for in a regular caloric deficit on a high carb diet.

The study proved those claims aren't true, thus freeing dieters from the notion that they need to eat that way unless it suits their preferences.

There is no need to get defensive about this if it suits your preferences. Enjoy.

Individual as anything else. It still counts and it still matters. What is great for one person is not always great for another. This goes for pretty much everything else around here.
  • Nixi3Knox
    Nixi3Knox Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

no one ever said that you can't lose weight on low carb..if you go back and read through the comments people are saying that it is not better than any other way of eating...

I read the rest of the comments. It is all opinion.
  • eagle_74
    eagle_74 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes, Technically that's true..but you've heard people say "Food is my Drug". Maybe it's the blood sugar rush then crash cycle..or it could be ALL psychological. Who knows. Fruits and Veggies I'm fine, but flour, sugar really trigger eating behaviors that kinda mimic what a drug addict goes through Urge-Urge Fulfilled-Feel relief-Then Guilt-Crash, Repeat.

I'm not trying to speak as a scientist, just personal anecdote. Peace.

[/quote]

and for many other people fats cause the same thing...

binge eating disorder is usually psychological in nature and not based on any one specific macro.[/quote]

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Yes, Technically that's true..but you've heard people say "Food is my Drug". Maybe it's the blood sugar rush then crash cycle..or it could be ALL psychological. Who knows. Fruits and Veggies I'm fine, but flour, sugar really trigger eating behaviors that kinda mimic what a drug addict goes through Urge-Urge Fulfilled-Feel relief-Then Guilt-Crash, Repeat.

binge eating disorder is usually psychological in nature and not based on any one specific macro.[/quote]

[/quote]

so you eat one form of sugar (fruits and veggies) and you are OK, but another kind of sugar (sugar + flour) and you are a raving drug addict? Sorry, you can't just turn addiction on and off, it does not work that way. That would be like a crack head saying they can't smoke crack without losing their mind, but if they just snort cocaine they are OK; or an alcoholic saying I can't drink tequila, but wine makes me lose my mind...

alcohol = alcohol just like sugar = sugar
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The thing about Keto is it allows many people to eat to satiety without any of the associated binging and otherwise destructive behaviors that a high card diet eventually brings.

For many carbs are almost like a drug and mess up our normal appetite signals from the bloodsugar swings and cravings that ensue.

I haven't found Keto to "magically" faster at shedding pounds, but it is extremely satisfying when you do eat and I never feel the urge to eat past a mild sense of fullness.

In the Past the only sense of fullness I knew was a stretched stomach, now I can feel satisfied because of what's going on chemically within me. My Stomach may be close to empty or have little actual food in there but I'm not hungry. Re-learning those natural signals is a revelation.

But many people eat to fullness without being keto. Carbs don't equal "destructive behaviors" as you seem to believe.

For you. Others find carbs problematic. Not sure why that's so hard for people to grasp.

Because so many people assume that the same things work for everyone and repeat things like "carbs lead to binging" or "people on high carb diets are starving and miserable" or "fat is satiating" as if these were universals.

Lower carb seems to work for me, at least currently. I was having similar issues to what GottaBurnEm reports and tried a few things (including a lower fat mostly plant based approach that had worked for me in the past) and found that -- shockingly, because I don't find fat alone satiating at all, and bacon and eggs for breakfast alone does nothing for me, I need my vegetables -- lowering carbs and increasing fat helped (I did around 100 g carbs). I am curious whether even lower has benefits for me. But this absolutely is not mean that eating more carbs is a bad approach for others or that they won't be more satiated on something like 50-25-25 than what I am doing. So often the comments seem to assume not "carbs are problematic for ME" or "a certain amount or type of carbs are problematic for me" (which I think is true in many cases), but "carbs are problematic for everyone."

For example, even for me, full fat greek yogurt (plain) is not as satiating, alone, as the same number of calories of low fat (which has more protein and volume). This is no biggie, I usually don't eat yogurt alone anyway. But I find it irritating when people constantly say that full fat is more satiating. For them, yes, it very well may be. Not for everyone. Satiety is very individual.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

[/quote]

If it's that diet (fruit and veggies with protein) what explains my binge behavior while low carbing?

We could go back and forth all day, but it still comes down to this main point, the diet gurus who have sold low carb with this kind of talk about its advantages have loaded all of you with a lot of baggage, and I think that's unfortunate.

It's really okay to just experience greater satiety and a sense of relief from cravings eating a certain way without buying into some mumbo jumbo about why it's happening to you along with understanding that some other people have entirely different experiences.

When I don't eat starch, my cravings go through the roof and my binge behavior returns - are proteins and fibrous veggies drugs? Do I need to make those comparisons to justify my benefiting from a certain way of eating in order to manage my weight? Of course not.

Neither does anyone low carbing.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I'm happy you can't fathom that thinking. I wouldn't wish eating disorders on anyone. For many people Carbs cause urges to overeat (binge). Just the way it is for SOME people.

Well, I can't keep avacados in the house. I'll go through them in no time. I still don't claim they are like drugs... That's silly nonsense.
  • Zengrizzly
    Zengrizzly Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Seems like a simple equation. You need protein. If you want to lose weight, you either cut fats or carbs. Fats+carbs = Weight gain. How you go about it is preference. Personally, it sucks as everything that tastes great is fats+carbs. lol
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Zengrizzly wrote: »
    Seems like a simple equation. You need protein. If you want to lose weight, you either cut fats or carbs calories. Fats+carbexcess calories = Weight gain. How you go about it is preference. Personally, it sucks as everything that tastes great is fats+carbs. lol

fixed it for you ...

Also, you can eat in a deficit, get sufficient protein, and still eat carbs; one does not exclude the other...

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Zengrizzly wrote: »
    Seems like a simple equation. You need protein. If you want to lose weight, you either cut fats or carbs calories. Fats+carbexcess calories = Weight gain. How you go about it is preference. Personally, it sucks as everything that tastes great is fats+carbs. lol

fixed it for you ...

Also, you can eat in a deficit, get sufficient protein, and still eat carbs; one does not exclude the other...

Thanks, I was getting ready to do that.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Full article: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/311279409_Visceral_adiposity_and_metabolic_syndrome_after_very_high-fat_and_low-fat_isocaloric_diets_a_randomized_controlled_trial_12

Many, if not most, low carbers find that the improved weight loss rate on a LCHF diet is simply due to appetite reduction. They are less hungry and are able to eat less with not as much effort.

The studies that have found an increase in weight loss have found that it mostly equalizes within a year. There may be a slight benefit in the first few months (by slight I mean just a few pounds) but the gap narrows by 12 months. If there is a metabolic advantage, it doesn't happen in everyone (those with IR seem to slightly benefit) and it isn't much.

I don't care what the research says.. experience shows it works to help lose weight. We have to take research with a grain of salt. I wonder how many subjects they had?

I agree that it can help people to lose weight. I can't seem to lose weight without LCHF diets. The thing they haven't pinned down yet is why some people lose weight faster.

ETA. This thread is old. I had to go back and reread it to remember what it was about.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    high carb for life.