Gym Instructor won't leave me alone.

Options
12346»

Replies

• z85zz
    z85zz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    He is trying to flog his services, he's put posters up everywhere charging £1 a session!
  • DavidRocketts
    DavidRocketts Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    He needs to be told, if not by you, his management. You have a regime that works for you - full stop. He needs to back away...
  • 73Lupito
    73Lupito Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wireless earphones.
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hon, if you complain and he gets fired, you can be assured you were not the only complaint.

^^^Yep!
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    z85zz wrote: »
    I don't wear earphones during my weights routine because I have nowhere to put my phone, although it would be funny to ignore him when they are clearly not plugged in to anything!
    I'm not a weak or shy person, he made me feel intimidated! I'd much prefer a women's only workout area, men in general looking at us is bad enough, without the instructors joining in.

I do this when I work out at the Y. The wire just dangles or gets tucked into my bra. I don't care if anyone sees that it isn't plugged in - it's just a signal that I'm not open to idle chit chat.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    If he's making you uncomfortable, I have no doubt, time to notify the management. If that doesn't work, drop a weight on his toes.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Tell him you are a Beachbody coach and would just LOVE to talk to him about Shakeology. He'll never come near you again. ;)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    He is trying to flog his services, he's put posters up everywhere charging £1 a session!

it sounds like being absolutely clear that he's overstepping would actually be doing him a favour in the long term. his 'bedside' manner definitely sounds as if it needs some work.

on the demoralization thing . . . it reminds me of getting my hair cut. doesn't matter who i go to or what the real story is, people who make a living selling product necessarily have to look for something that's 'wrong' just so they can create a reason why you should buy the solution from them. iow, it's just opportunistic negging. it's not based in objectivity, is the point - so there's no reason to over-internalize it.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    73Lupito wrote: »
    Wireless earphones.
    Wireless headphones is the equivalent of an ostrich putting its head in the sand and won't solve the problem of the OP being aware that he's staring at her. If he's making her feel uncomfortable, its not unreasonable to assume that he's making other gym goers uncomfortable as well. Sharing her concerns with management will likely be a much more effective approach.
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'd much prefer a women's only workout area, men in general looking at us is bad enough, without the instructors joining in.

What gym is this? Doesn't sound that nice, clearly management are happy with his hard sell PT as they allow the posters. Have you thought about trying another gym not just because of this trainer but if you don't feel comfortable in the workout area anyway due to the men that are in there. All gyms tend to have a different atmosphere so maybe see if there is an alternative you would prefer.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    any update to this?
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    In all fairness, I am wondering if you are doing something wrong and may injure yourself. You say he mentioned that he thought you were going to fall over.

Here's the deal, if i see someone in the gym performing exercises wrong repeatedly, I will definitely do the same thing and come up and offer to help. If you continue to do it wrong I will probably also stare slack jawed and cringe. I feel personally responsible as a trainer to stop horrible form.

Now... Is it possible that you are actually being defensive and blowing this out of the water?

I am not trying to side with him, i'm just wondering because if you injure yourself on their premises they are liable. If you are performing exercises dangerously and he DIDN'T say something, that would be a bad call on his part. Tell him you don't want his advice and that will be the end of it. If not, Obviously go to a manager, but I assume the manager will speak with said employee and they will discuss liability together.

We had to ban this guy who wanted to come into the weight lifting section and perform what I can only call "crossfit" because he was just being dangerous.

I initially had the same thought until he pressured her do additional movements for no apparent reason, like the wall stretch and adding weight for her glute bridge when she said she didn't want to. For me, that extends far beyond being concerned about someone's form.

Oh please. Any workout is dangerous if you do it incorrectly, not just Crossfit. That's the point of a good coach. If you injure yourself, you're the idiot who wasn't taught correctly and/or didn't care enough to learn.
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Whats wrong with your crotch angle? I would politely ask him to not speak to you again and if he continues go to a manager
  • z85zz
    z85zz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I can't believe it has been three months since I first posted this. To be honest, I started going to the gym at a time when I knew he wouldn't be there, and *touch wood* he hasn't bothered me since. There was an incident where he came over, and bothered all of the women around me, I just sat completely still until he went away. Funny, in the 5 minutes he was there, every single one of them suddenly finished their workout, I guess it wasn't just me. He caught me on the stairs once, and talked about his lunch, that's about it! I'll be moving gyms in the summer when I move house :)
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    A bunch of people here keep saying to say something like thanks for your help but no thanks. Don't say that you are not thankful he is harnessing you. Say "Please go away I do not want you training me or interrupting my workout". If he speaks again repeat that word for word. Third time you need to say it turn and go to front desk and ask to speak to manager about trainer not leaving you alone. If he tries to hand you a weight don't grab it even if that means weight falls to the ground.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the people saying to complain to management.

IF you are very direct with him and he doesn't then leave you alone, then and only then would I go to management. But before you do that, the fair thing to do is be very direct with him. Say something like "I appreciate your attempt to help, but I really strongly prefer to work out alone and uninterrupted. I do exercises in a specific way because of injuries I have and instruction from a great physical therapist I am working with (say this whether true or not...sometimes the polite lie prevents a lot of problems in situations like this.) I know you mean well, but I am asking you not to attempt to correct my form or interfere in my workouts. This just throws me off and is counterproductive."

I generally have a problems with people who immediately run to somebody higher up (potentially risking somebody's job) without first making a serious attempt to work out the issue directly with the person. BUt if you do this...you must be clear...and he STILL persists...then yes, you definitely should complain to management.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I can't believe it has been three months since I first posted this. To be honest, I started going to the gym at a time when I knew he wouldn't be there, and *touch wood* he hasn't bothered me since. There was an incident where he came over, and bothered all of the women around me, I just sat completely still until he went away. Funny, in the 5 minutes he was there, every single one of them suddenly finished their workout, I guess it wasn't just me. He caught me on the stairs once, and talked about his lunch, that's about it! I'll be moving gyms in the summer when I move house :)

wow seriously?

what is wrong with looking at him and telling him straight up...NO.

end of discussion and enforcing that no...

I get that people aren't as 'take no bs' as me but come on...
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    What do I do? I've never seen him come up to anyone else, and there was a lady next to me really struggling with an exercise and he didn't help her. I feel uncomfortable and embarrassed, if I wanted a personal trainer, I would hire a woman!

Caveat: Haven't read 122 replies.

You're tried being nice. Tell him to *kitten* off, and if he talks to you again go to gym management using the magic words "hostile environment", "harassment", and "stalking".
  • sammyjo0218
    sammyjo0218 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It's ok for a trainer to go up to you once in a while when working out but what you're saying sounds like harassing now. Guy trainers like to flirt sometimes because he knows he can get more women clients I've seen it before. Trainers have to go by code of ethics. I'd definitely file a complaint! Members should go to trainers for the most part unless someone is doing something wrong where he or she can possibly cause an injury then a trainer can go up and help with tips.