Non friendly females in the gym.

Options

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,494 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    brittyn3 wrote: »
    I'm confused as to why this is an issue.. ? You want someone to cater/fulfill your experience and be friendly/chatty/acknowledge, but maybe the other people want the experience of individual/focus/no interruptions. I have to socialize and make small talk all day at work - when I'm at the gym.. it's me time. And if that pisses people off, because I don't feel it necessary to coincide with their desires... I mean? Seriously? Why are you more important than I am.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but seriously... who cares if people want a different experience than you, that's called free will. And it does not make me a rude/negative/mean person for wanting that.

Why do you hate men?

Do you want an itemized list? A stream of consciousness rant? A chronological account of the slights women are subjected to? A documentary video? Links to various studies showing how differently women are treated when reading from the same script as men? A photo spread? An interpretive dance? How should we do this? :p

I reckon that a lap dance or two would suffice.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm confused as to why this is an issue.. ? You want someone to cater/fulfill your experience and be friendly/chatty/acknowledge, but maybe the other people want the experience of individual/focus/no interruptions. I have to socialize and make small talk all day at work - when I'm at the gym.. it's me time. And if that pisses people off, because I don't feel it necessary to coincide with their desires... I mean? Seriously? Why are you more important than I am.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but seriously... who cares if people want a different experience than you, that's called free will. And it does not make me a rude/negative/mean person for wanting that.

Why do you hate men?

Do you want an itemized list? A stream of consciousness rant? A chronological account of the slights women are subjected to? A documentary video? Links to various studies showing how differently women are treated when reading from the same script as men? A photo spread? An interpretive dance? How should we do this? :p

I reckon that an interpretive lap dance or two would suffice.

Fixed it for you.
  • Motorsheen
    Options

Why do you hate men?

I reckon that an interpretive lap dance or two would suffice.

Fixed it for you.

That could get messy.

..... but I'm willing to take the risk.
  • _MotherSuperior_
    _MotherSuperior_ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    It's a well known fact that women are nice guy ATM's. You put nice guy in, and the ATM is required to allow you to withdraw whatever it is you requested, and then credit your account accordingly.

Sorry bro. Maybe speak to the gym management about getting their ATM's serviced?

Literally for a full minute I was trying to read this but I was confused as hell because I kept interpreting "ATM" as "at the moment" rather than as the bank machine.

I think I need some coffee this morning.

Don't feel bad. I knew what I meant by the acronym and even I got confused as I was typing it because I've always seen it as something else. *nods*
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    tahxirez wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Just curious. All these complaints about being hit on. Women complain it happens in bars, in gyms, at school, at work, on the bus, on the train platform, at the beach, in jail, in saunas, in MFP private messages, and at drunken frat parties where everyone's playing strip poker.

Where is it acceptable, exactly, for men to approach women with interest and begin a polite conversation?

I mean, with all these gals signing up at MFP to complain about their boyfriends mistreating them in a variety of ways, they must have got the ball rolling somewhere initially...

There is no right answer because every woman is different. It's wherever she's comfortable with it.

I think what you're missing is that the reason a lot of women don't like the OP's attitude isn't because it's socially unacceptable to hit on a girl at the gym, it's because once they get rejected they post on the MFP forums, insinuating that there's something wrong with the girl for rejecting him and for not appreciating the fact that he was "just trying to be nice," when in reality, if she doesn't want his attention, he just needs to get over it because she's not, nor was she ever, there for him.

He needs to get over it? Or what? Meaning he should be discouraged from discussing his personal observations, however subjective they may or may not be, on MFP's forums?

He needs to get over the assumption that any person or women in particular "owe" him "friendliness" which I am taking to mean in this situation: conversation, attention, smiles, eye contact, etc. Also, most women enjoy not being totally lumped together as a single entity who are all unfriendly. Perhaps this has contributed to his being iced out by the women near him.

This female also bristles at being called a "female."

How about "teh wimminz"?

I'll allow it.

• born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Just curious. All these complaints about being hit on. Women complain it happens in bars, in gyms, at school, at work, on the bus, on the train platform, at the beach, in jail, in saunas, in MFP private messages, and at drunken frat parties where everyone's playing strip poker.

Where is it acceptable, exactly, for men to approach women with interest and begin a polite conversation?

I mean, with all these gals signing up at MFP to complain about their boyfriends mistreating them in a variety of ways, they must have got the ball rolling somewhere initially...

There is no right answer because every woman is different. It's wherever she's comfortable with it.

I think what you're missing is that the reason a lot of women don't like the OP's attitude isn't because it's socially unacceptable to hit on a girl at the gym, it's because once they get rejected they post on the MFP forums, insinuating that there's something wrong with the girl for rejecting him and for not appreciating the fact that he was "just trying to be nice," when in reality, if she doesn't want his attention, he just needs to get over it because she's not, nor was she ever, there for him.

He needs to get over it? Or what? Meaning he should be discouraged from discussing his personal observations, however subjective they may or may not be, on MFP's forums?

He needs to get over the assumption that any person or women in particular "owe" him "friendliness" which I am taking to mean in this situation: conversation, attention, smiles, eye contact, etc. Also, most women enjoy not being totally lumped together as a single entity who are all unfriendly. Perhaps this has contributed to his being iced out by the women near him.

This is amusing to me. Husband is a big feminist. He dislikes calling me girl even though I tell him I prefer girl to lady (I'm no lady) or female. I also know many women who dislike woman because they feel it is rooted to and a diminutive form of man, hence they are womyn (which I find ridiculous personally).

There are some battles that can never be won.
  • _MotherSuperior_
    _MotherSuperior_ Posts: 158 Member
    Options

How about "teh wimminz"?

I'll allow it.

3oz8xS1LZNX4Tw00Xm.gif
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options

Why do you hate men?

For you, Motorsheen, I'll think about it.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

This is amusing to me. Husband is a big feminist. He dislikes calling me girl even though I tell him I prefer girl to lady (I'm no lady) or female. I also know many women who dislike woman because they feel it is rooted to and a diminutive form of man, hence they are womyn (which I find ridiculous personally).

There are some battles that can never be won.

Agreed.

I'm not arrogant enough to state that female is an offensive term, since it seems not to bother plenty of women. It does make me bow up a bit though. If you're wanting me to break my personal habits and be friendly toward you (where "you" is a random guy at the gym), starting out by calling me "a female" is not the way to go.

But as the previous poster pointed out, it's not like women are a monolith. We don't have a hive mind. Unless of course, I just missed the meeting where we all signed up for the hive mind and now I'm just out of the loop.
  • Motorsheen
    Options

Why do you hate men?

For you, Motorsheen, I'll think about it.

Think about it ?

Well... that's a lot further than I get with most other girls; I'll take it!

Respect!
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    So a lot of the ignoring behavior here would just be rude, except for the younger millennials.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    jbirdgreen wrote: »
    So a lot of the ignoring behavior here would just be rude, except for the younger millennials.

Bless Your Heart