Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Just curious. All these complaints about being hit on. Women complain it happens in bars, in gyms, at school, at work, on the bus, on the train platform, at the beach, in jail, in saunas, in MFP private messages, and at drunken frat parties where everyone's playing strip poker.

Where is it acceptable, exactly, for men to approach women with interest and begin a polite conversation?

I mean, with all these gals signing up at MFP to complain about their boyfriends mistreating them in a variety of ways, they must have got the ball rolling somewhere initially...

There is no right answer because every woman is different. It's wherever she's comfortable with it.

I think what you're missing is that the reason a lot of women don't like the OP's attitude isn't because it's socially unacceptable to hit on a girl at the gym, it's because once they get rejected they post on the MFP forums, insinuating that there's something wrong with the girl for rejecting him and for not appreciating the fact that he was "just trying to be nice," when in reality, if she doesn't want his attention, he just needs to get over it because she's not, nor was she ever, there for him.

He needs to get over it? Or what? Meaning he should be discouraged from discussing his personal observations, however subjective they may or may not be, on MFP's forums?

I typed something out three times before deleting it.

You and I won't agree so I'm not going to bother.

Someone else do it.

I did as well, and then I decided it wasn't worth my time.
  • SeagalDeeDee
    SeagalDeeDee Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm cordial. I stick to my workout and leave. I don't stop to 'chat'.
  • ZodFit
    ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
  • SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Usually they're there to work out, not make friends.
  • MissyK222
    MissyK222 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've learned to not try to be friendly to people in the Gym. When I first started going to the Gym regularly back in 2009 I would walk in and even though I have my head phones in I would smile and say hi to people. I would get dirty looks, eye rolls and blank stares so I just stopped saying hi. Not trying to have a conversation but a simple hi... Some people are just self involved or just generally not nice to people they don't know. I just let it roll off.... :-)
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,946 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    the girls in my gym avoid dudes all the time. can you blame them for being closed off when they are being hit on, on the daily?

I have never seen anyone, male or female, hit on at my gym. We casually chat and nod and smile, but I have never heard anything creepy or anyone ask for a phone number or anything along those lines.
    If it were just me not getting hit on I would chalk that up to something else, but there are some very pretty girls there and everyone is respectful.

So you haven't been getting the notes I left in your gym locker?

Maybe I am too dumb to realize I am being hit on??

Your words...

Or too ugly?

Or maybe at 5am people are not trying to pick up chicks?

Either way, I feel very comfortable and outside of catching a few guys using the mirrors for some gawking I haven't ever noticed anything. I think a good chunk of them are married and not 20. 20 year olds rarely get up that early

Just the right amount
  • ZodFit
    ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Men are the pursuers and women are there to be pursued. Stereotypes that are replicated and reinforced by males AND females alike. I mean there was a post I saw asking if men were afraid to ask for womens phone numbers in public. It did not nearly get the same response as this but same underlying societal issues. I'm game for another thread the dialog is excellent. Let's get all in those ideologies son!
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,946 Member
    Options
    the girls in my gym avoid dudes all the time. can you blame them for being closed off when they are being hit on, on the daily?

I have never seen anyone, male or female, hit on at my gym. We casually chat and nod and smile, but I have never heard anything creepy or anyone ask for a phone number or anything along those lines.
    If it were just me not getting hit on I would chalk that up to something else, but there are some very pretty girls there and everyone is respectful.

So you haven't been getting the notes I left in your gym locker?

Maybe I am too dumb to realize I am being hit on??

Your words...

Or too ugly?

Or maybe at 5am people are not trying to pick up chicks?

Either way, I feel very comfortable and outside of catching a few guys using the mirrors for some gawking I haven't ever noticed anything. I think a good chunk of them are married and not 20. 20 year olds rarely get up that early

Just the right amount

Of?

It.
  • kwph
    kwph Posts: 7,375 Member
    Options
    So ur one of the unfriendly females he's talking about
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    Options
    I don't see why people are under and obligation to be friendly to other friendly people. I live my life for me and an adult should be OK with someone not reciprocating his or her friendliness.

And someone keeps bringing up how friendly people are at crossfit. That's a completely different story. Crossfit is essentially an hour-long class and people go for feedback and often companionship. I expect that when I go to Crossfit. However when I go to Fitworks, a regular gym, where I don't know a soul and I'm there to work out on my own, I don't expect to talk to people anywhere near as much as at crossfit.

Crossfit huh?

Tell us more!